Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2010, 01:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax take a tip from Toyota!

Was just reading an article about the new concept sports model from Toyota called the FT-86G Sports Concept...

I just wish the folks at Pentax/Hoya would apply the same logic to lens production!!!!!

QuoteQuote:
But Buttner said it was important for the brand to get back into the business of making aspirational cars to try and attract younger buyers.

I think as Akio Toyoda, our global CEO and president, said its very, very important, Buttner said. We have to ensure we have some inspiration in the brand and are attracting a younger demographic."
Now, I just wish Pentax would start developing inspirational super telephoto lenses again. This would make Pentax a desirable brand once again. It is not about selling massive volumes of high end lenses but rather making the brand desirable and giving people a path to upgrade.

As a nature and particularly a bird photographer, the current crop of Pentax lenses JUST SIMPLY DO NOT CUT IT!!!

A 300mm F4 is just too short and too slow.

Personally I hate Canon as their camera's have about the most unfriendly and illogical layout and design possible but I might have to go that route if a want a decent lens!!

Come on Pentax, for @#$@ sakes, you produce a beautiful weather proof camera body in the K5 that beats the pants off of the competition but you leave us outdoor photographers high and dry by refusing to bring out decent lenses!!!
Catch a wake up!!!

As for the argument that the "K5 is compatible with every lens ever made, blah blah blah"... so now I have to spend months searching the internet for ancient lenses, buy second hand and risk getting an overpriced dud!

Sorry all for the rant but I hope there is someone in Pentax that reads this and gets it through their tiny cranium cavity that there are enough of us out there that would buy a super telephoto.... and by super tele, I mean 500mm and above!

12-15-2010, 01:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GordonZA Quote
Was just reading an article about the new concept sports model from Toyota called the FT-86G Sports Concept...

I just wish the folks at Pentax/Hoya would apply the same logic to lens production!!!!!

Now, I just wish Pentax would start developing inspirational super telephoto lenses again. This would make Pentax a desirable brand once again. It is not about selling massive volumes of high end lenses but rather making the brand desirable and giving people a path to upgrade.

As a nature and particularly a bird photographer, the current crop of Pentax lenses JUST SIMPLY DO NOT CUT IT!!!

A 300mm F4 is just too short and too slow.

Personally I hate Canon as their camera's have about the most unfriendly and illogical layout and design possible but I might have to go that route if a want a decent lens!!

Come on Pentax, for @#$@ sakes, you produce a beautiful weather proof camera body in the K5 that beats the pants off of the competition but you leave us outdoor photographers high and dry by refusing to bring out decent lenses!!!
Catch a wake up!!!

As for the argument that the "K5 is compatible with every lens ever made, blah blah blah"... so now I have to spend months searching the internet for ancient lenses, buy second hand and risk getting an overpriced dud!

Sorry all for the rant but I hope there is someone in Pentax that reads this and gets it through their tiny cranium cavity that there are enough of us out there that would buy a super telephoto.... and by super tele, I mean 500mm and above!
don`t they make 600/4 on order?
12-15-2010, 01:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
They used to make the 600mm F4 on order but it appears to have been removed from the Japanese Pentax web site...

The only current option that I know of beside second hand, is the Sigma 500mm prime or their 150-500 or 50-500... great lenses sure... and new... however it does not change the fact the Pentax themselves who produce spectacular glass are no longer making those inspirational and desirable super tele's...

My frustration is that I want to stick to Pentax glass but cannot do so at this time...

It is coming time to upgrade from my old K10D and I would love to purchase the K5 along with a decent super tele... however I have no idea if Pentax is likely to ever produce another one?

I really dislike Canon bodies, maybe Nikon is the only real option?

What do you guys think? Nikon or do I stick it out with Pentax hoping that the tiny cranium brigade will realise that there is a serious and glaring gap in their product line??
12-15-2010, 02:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Yes they do; Interchangeable Lenses (Models discontinued in the Japanese market) : Digital Cameras : Products : PENTAX

Problem solved; I wished that life was always this easy

12-15-2010, 02:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
he he he

I wish it WAS that easy... that's the "Models discontinued in the Japanese market" page... so no longer available for order?

Looks like it's either their 55-300 or the 300 F4 are the currently available tele lenses....

The currently published roadmap (has not been removed so this may still be planned?) still shows a DA super telephoto somewhere in the range of a 300mm and possibly longer than 300mm?

Does anyone know if there is anything in the pipeline longer than 300mm?
12-15-2010, 05:51 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Young people will not buy ludicrously expensive telephoto lenses. They will buy a cool camera to impress their friends. Sad, but true. And Pentax got that right by making the full-colour entry-level DSLRs.

I just advised someone (young) on their first DSLR, and they chose the Kx. But they had the option to get a white Kx, or pay 170$ more and get the (not DAL) DA 55-300, all in black, for 170$ more. They chose the white version, even after I told them that they could sell the DA lens for more than that.

Fashion and cool factor is what appeals to the young market. And they don't have money to order lenses abouve 2 grands.
12-15-2010, 06:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The other models on that page don't have the 'special order' tag, so I would say, give it a try. Don't know how or where.
12-15-2010, 07:02 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

While I share your pain on the lens issue, your analogy is all wrong. Toyota is the leading car maker in the world. To ensure it continues to be, it must attract young buyers (who will one day become old buyers!). By virtue of being the leading manufacturer, Toyota also has the money to spend on capturing this demographic audience.

Pentax, on the other hand, has neither the money nor the market share to make lenses for a very small esoteric segment of users.

Still, as I said, I would like to see Pentax in a position to start offering some of the lenses they used to make.

Last edited by Tom S.; 12-15-2010 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Spelling
12-15-2010, 07:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I just advised someone (young) on their first DSLR, and they chose the Kx. But they had the option to get a white Kx, or pay 170$ more and get the (not DAL) DA 55-300, all in black, for 170$ more. They chose the white version, even after I told them that they could sell the DA lens for more than that.
.... But the white K-x is oh so pretty. Is Vanity a sin?

Last edited by Andi Lo; 12-15-2010 at 11:00 AM.
12-15-2010, 07:49 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd love to see them do this, but it really makes no marketing sense in their current situation. Super Tele are indeed a limited market, and high speed super tele even more so. It's not the nature segment that keeps these lenses alive, it's the sports/reportorage segment.canikon really has that market sewn up leaving little room for a challenger. Sony (who have far more financial resources than Hoya) make a 300 2.8, but their 500 is really a useless f8 mirror at an insanely high price. not practical for anything that moves faster than a turtle) they also make a variable f zoom that goes to 400, i think the sigma is better across the board.
Fortunately Sigma still supports the Pentax mount and gives us an option. If they didn't make the bulk of their r&d back off canikon though we wouldn't see Pentax lenses from them either
If you don't have a big investment in lenses than Nikon isn't a bad choice at all (it's where I would go for FF myself) however if you have a large lens collection, it probably makes more sense to pick up a Sigma (the 500 4.5 is a pretty amazing lens, the 300 2.8 with a doubler is a viable alternative to the 600f 4 only being one stop slower but available immediately and giving the high speed at 300 Pentax hasn't offered yet (they have some funny ideas in japan about what is no longer needed due to digital technologies ie teleconverters and high speed lenses - extreme high iso levels and hi megapixel crops have eliminated that need don't you know)
I don't often need the long throw you need, but it would be nice if it was out there( it would be nice if there was a Canadian rental depot as well, cripes there is even a dealer renting the big Olympus stuff. apparently Pentax blew him off a a trade show Pentax Canada really is hopeless)
12-15-2010, 07:51 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

As for the focus on multi colour models to appeal to youth i love it. I'd buy a robot model if it was available here just ot show up at assignements where there are a large number of canikon shooters and drive em nuts - it'd be a great icebreaker for interview shots as well
12-15-2010, 07:53 AM   #12
Site Supporter

I certainly get why a Pentax 600/4 isn't likely to be on the shelves of my local camera store soon, but how about another 400/5.6 or the like? The A series 400/5.6 goes for nice money on ebay (the last one was snapped away from me literally at the last second for an increase of $100 over my bid), with BIN prices on others at over $700. It seems like there is a demand for quality, fixed, even manual, focus long tele lenses.

If you want to spend $5-6k, there are the fast, long Sigmas as well. However they aren't making the fixed length lenses with more modest apertures and prices, either.
12-15-2010, 07:54 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Keep in mind the FT-86 went from being a 240hp $20,000 car with a Toyota badge to a <200hp $25,000+ car with a Scion badge (maybe).

The real business world has a way of corrupting even the best and most exciting plans.
12-15-2010, 08:01 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote

The real business world has a way of corrupting even the best and most exciting plans.
Truer words were never spoken. Bean counters have made many ideas into overpriced mediocrity
12-15-2010, 08:03 AM   #15

I saw the thread title and assumed they were with the K5 sensor issues