Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2010, 03:04 AM   #16
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Axl, that may not be a great combo (K10 + 31 Ltd) but I am starting to believe that it isn't that great either with the K7/31Ltd combo.
One thing I will also do is to compare this with a K20D /31Ltd combo over the weekend.

Annoyingly, it seems to get worse when the subject to camera distance increases. Worse, in the sense that I get less keepers (subjects in focus) whether it is with AF or manual focusing, even at F5.6 .. F8.
And then, there is the obvious softness at F1.8 (with the K7); not much better than with your K10D/31 Ltd combo.

Seemingly, the lens/K7 camera performs better using a close distance-to-subject with flash, indoors!
I took some shots at a party this past weekend and the results were rather satisfying.

Which now means that I am pretty much mixed up as far as fine adjusting the AF.

More or that after the weekend.

Cheers.

JP

P.S.: I wonder what the says are with the K5 and the FA 31 Ltd ??
Weird thing is that you say you have problems at f5.6 and f8! That's something I can't confirm. At f8 the lens is great no matter what.

Other then that I can check all your boxes. The farther the target is the more erratic focusing accuracy - MF or AF - close distances (below 2m) it's superb. Pass that it goes funny. F1.8 is sharp but again at close distances, anything pass 2-3m is getting softer and softer. I tend to blame my K10s AF and my eyesight. But you are not the first to confirm my findings. I'm thinking about sending my lens for CLA and we'll see then. But this issue made think about jumping to other brand too often and is primary reason why I prefer 24 + 43 combo to on paper superior 31ltd.

12-18-2010, 04:15 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Weird thing is that you say you have problems at f5.6 and f8! That's something I can't confirm. At f8 the lens is great no matter what.

Other then that I can check all your boxes. The farther the target is the more erratic focusing accuracy - MF or AF - close distances (below 2m) it's superb. Pass that it goes funny. F1.8 is sharp but again at close distances, anything pass 2-3m is getting softer and softer. I tend to blame my K10s AF and my eyesight. But you are not the first to confirm my findings. I'm thinking about sending my lens for CLA and we'll see then. But this issue made think about jumping to other brand too often and is primary reason why I prefer 24 + 43 combo to on paper superior 31ltd.
Yes I know, this is weird.

I wanted to blame my own poor eyesight as well, but at F5.6 and F8, and a reasonably fast shutter speed, this souldn't be a problem.

Same goes for closer targets: the closer, the better.

I have yet to get out there and retest the lens/camera(s), using the same apertures (f1.8 to F8+) with two different bodies: K20D and K7.
I'll also take the 43 Ltd along and do the same testing ... then see what happens.

Oh, and this time, I will use a tripod. (not that this is necessary with a fast shutter speed but at least to get the exact same "views").

Thanks for the replies!

Cheers.

JP