Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-15-2010, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aseno Quote
All,

I was extremely lucky to acquire in good condition of a K28mm F2 at garage sale price. I knew nothing about it when I got it, and after googling around, I realized how rare the lens is. It's one of the Zeiss designed K lens with a floating element. Using it is really a pleasure. Fast and sharp for a wide lens is just not enough to describe it.

On the other hand, I have a need (well, maybe a strong want at the moment) to acquire a new K5 body. My K100DS has served me well, but I feel that I need faster AF and high ISO. Given this situation, and funds are low, I am tempted to sell the K28mm to fund the K5, along with other stuff that I can sell.

So, if you were me, would you sell that K28mm F2? I know most likely I am going to regret it, but the K5 urge is strong.
I keep getting myself in trouble with the staff for insulting other forum members. The fact is, there is way too much crazy talk, and sometimes a person just says something so dumb, that they deserve an insult.

With this as a preamble, and please realize that I mean this in the most humourous way pissible...

Don't sell that lens.
That's crazy talk.

12-15-2010, 07:53 PM   #17
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I could fund a Kr (don't care about a K5) by selling 3 of my lenses, maybe only 2.

So I go from Kx to Kr--one letter difference--but minus 2 or 3 lenses.

No thanks.
12-15-2010, 08:02 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I could fund a Kr (don't care about a K5) by selling 3 of my lenses, maybe only 2.

So I go from Kx to Kr--one letter difference--but minus 2 or 3 lenses.

No thanks.
But with all due respect, I don't think that's the same as what the OP is asking. I could sell all my lenses and buy a 645D. But that would be "crazy" because #1) I'd have no lenses left, nor any to use with the 645D and #2) I'd have a camera body that is way, way, way more than I need. In this case, the OP bought a lens that he didn't realize was worth as much as it turned out to be worth. It's not like he's owned this lens for a long time, uses it regularly and would regret no longer having the use of the lens.

Thought perhaps I'm way off base on this one, as the vast majority of replies are in favor of keeping the lens
12-15-2010, 09:37 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I think it comes down to whether or not the OP is going to use it or not. For me I wouldn't use it that much since most of my photos are outdoor landscapes and it's too heavy for traveling (compared to a 28/2.8). What the money is going to be used for isn't as important.

It's also worth pointing out that the price of this lens is 1/3 to 1/4 of my monthly paycheck. So money is a little dearer to me than others.

12-15-2010, 09:58 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
I think it comes down to whether or not the OP is going to use it or not. For me I wouldn't use it that much since most of my photos are outdoor landscapes and it's too heavy for traveling (compared to a 28/2.8). What the money is going to be used for isn't as important.
I guess that was my point.

Here's a silly example: If someone offered me a brand new Porsche 911 worth 100,000 for 50,000, I would obviously buy it in a heartbeat; it's a great deal. But at the end of the day I don't really need a Porsche, so I would likely sell it. Would I ever expect to be able to find another brand new Porsche like that for 50,000? Of course not. But I would prefer to take the net 50,000 from selling it and buy myself a new Volvo station wagon, which I could actually make better use of.

Bottom line, if the OP would make good use of the 28/2, then by all means he should keep it. But if he would rather have something else (whether that's a partial payment to a newer body or another lens altogether), there's no good reason not to sell it and get what he wants. The fact that he won't be able to find another outstanding deal on a 28/2 down the road isn't relevant unless he sells this one for way below market price and then changes his mind and re-buys one for a lot more money than he sold this one for.
12-15-2010, 10:00 PM   #21
Forum Member

IMO, if you plan on using the lens on a regular basis, keep it. if you don't use it - sell it. Keeping it for the sole purpose that it may 'appreciate' in value really is no different from hiding all your money inside your mattress because you are waiting for that next Catastrophe to hit... However, if you are a collector of lens then you may have your own reasons for keeping it, for me, who isn't into collecting lens for the sake of collecting, I would sell it for a good price and use the money on something useful...
12-15-2010, 10:55 PM   #22

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Sorry couldn't jump in the thread any earlier. Man, you all gave wise stuff there. That's deep guys. Anyways, I've concluded that I am keeping the K28/2. I'll post few pics soon. Rarities aside, having a fast wide is really useful. I like my indoor potraits wide.

@paperbag846 and axl nailed it. Thanks.

@Douglas of Sweden: What's that "/" again? You mean this?

@JeffJS and few: If I told you how much I spent for it, it will make someone go to the ER tonight. I found it with a dent filter on it that wouldn't come off. I took it to a clinic in town to take the filter out. Luckily the lens itself is unharmed, and I've replaced the filter. The clinic charge me more than I paid for it .

@few: Thanks for the PM inquiry. I am keeping this.

12-16-2010, 01:30 AM   #23
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
But with all due respect, I don't think that's the same as what the OP is asking. I could sell all my lenses and buy a 645D.... Snip...
You must have way too many lenses my friend
12-16-2010, 04:48 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
You must have way too many lenses my friend
That is a giant understatement!

But, in truth, you deserve some of the blame here too. Your contributions to the FA limited and f/1.2 threads are mainly responsible for my acquisition of the 31, 43, 77 and A50/1.2
12-16-2010, 01:48 PM   #25
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
That is a giant understatement!

But, in truth, you deserve some of the blame here too. Your contributions to the FA limited and f/1.2 threads are mainly responsible for my acquisition of the 31, 43, 77 and A50/1.2
I'm glad I could help
12-16-2010, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #26
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I keep getting myself in trouble with the staff for insulting other forum members. The fact is, there is way too much crazy talk, and sometimes a person just says something so dumb, that they deserve an insult.

With this as a preamble, and please realize that I mean this in the most humourous way pissible...

Don't sell that lens.
That's crazy talk.
When Mr Cash used to do it people laughed at it, who and why would be stopping you?!?
12-16-2010, 01:56 PM   #27
axl
Veteran Member

@paperbag846 and axl nailed it. Thanks.

@Douglas of Sweden: What's that "/" again? You mean this?

Glad you decided to keep it....

with the / issue...
The original K series from 75-77 period have the "/" separating the f number and focal length. So what looked in K series as 1:1.2/50 would look in remake as 1:1.2 50mm with different font. I wasn't aware, though, that there was remake of 28/2 without M mark. So K and M would be easy to distinguish as the writings would be: SMC PENTAX 1:2/28 against smc Pentax - M 1:2 28mm

so having the "/" confirms you have very first series K mount, jointly designed with Zeiss, and with not too many copies out there....

my 2p
12-16-2010, 02:27 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry couldn't jump in the thread any earlier. Man, you all gave wise stuff there. That's deep guys. Anyways, I've concluded that I am keeping the K28/2.
out of curiosity, how much was it worth from the pile of rubbish? anyway, if you plan to sell it and dont have any use for it, I believe it is wise to trade it for a lens that you tend to use more that doesn't lose value as well.
12-16-2010, 03:16 PM   #29

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
out of curiosity, how much was it worth from the pile of rubbish? anyway, if you plan to sell it and dont have any use for it, I believe it is wise to trade it for a lens that you tend to use more that doesn't lose value as well.
That's a very good idea, but currently I don't have any desire for other lenses. Are you asking how much I paid for it? Still in three digits, if you count the cents
12-16-2010, 08:14 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Are you asking how much I paid for it?
yeah.