Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Would you regret yourself doing this?

All,

I was extremely lucky to acquire in good condition of a K28mm F2 at garage sale price. I knew nothing about it when I got it, and after googling around, I realized how rare the lens is. It's one of the Zeiss designed K lens with a floating element. Using it is really a pleasure. Fast and sharp for a wide lens is just not enough to describe it.

On the other hand, I have a need (well, maybe a strong want at the moment) to acquire a new K5 body. My K100DS has served me well, but I feel that I need faster AF and high ISO. Given this situation, and funds are low, I am tempted to sell the K28mm to fund the K5, along with other stuff that I can sell.

So, if you were me, would you sell that K28mm F2? I know most likely I am going to regret it, but the K5 urge is strong.

12-15-2010, 02:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No, keep that lens. It's rarity will only increase with time. In a year, the K-5 will be worth much less than it is today.

Lenses are a sort of investment, but bodies never are. If you plan on staying in photography for more than 2 or 3 years, you will really regret this decision.

If you want a nice jump in ISO for a fraction of the cost, consider the KX... it's pretty good.
12-15-2010, 02:42 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1
A lens is an investment and this rare specimen will not loose value (in fact, it is likely to increase its value with time). Consider it as an investment.

If you really need to upgrade your body, why don't you consider the K-x or K-7? Both are very well proced now, especially the K-x (new) and second-hand K-7.
12-15-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That's a wise advice, paperbag846. Totally makes sense. I wasn't thinking about the value appreciation of it. Thanks.

12-15-2010, 02:44 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Well I have a K-5 and I would not sell the K28 f/2 for it but that is me, the K-5 however is a very very good camera and will be at or near the top of the APS-C class for the next 12 months. I would sell most of your lens collection, keep the 50 f/1.4, the Vivitar 28 f/2.8 and the Sigma 24-70, I think the rest would have their deficiencies highlighted fairly rapidly with the 16 megapixel K-5.
12-15-2010, 02:52 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by aseno Quote
All,

I was extremely lucky to acquire in good condition of a K28mm F2 at garage sale price. I knew nothing about it when I got it, and after googling around, I realized how rare the lens is. It's one of the Zeiss designed K lens with a floating element. Using it is really a pleasure. Fast and sharp for a wide lens is just not enough to describe it.

On the other hand, I have a need (well, maybe a strong want at the moment) to acquire a new K5 body. My K100DS has served me well, but I feel that I need faster AF and high ISO. Given this situation, and funds are low, I am tempted to sell the K28mm to fund the K5, along with other stuff that I can sell.

So, if you were me, would you sell that K28mm F2? I know most likely I am going to regret it, but the K5 urge is strong.
Do you mind making me sick and telling me what that Garage Sale price was? I paid a lot of money for mine and wouldn't sell it to finance Any camera. There were a lot of other lenses to be sold for that purpose. I've seen One come up on ebay in the last year (may have been more) and I took it. May have paid even a little too much for it but man Oh MAN! Nice!

12-15-2010, 02:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'll take your K28/2 if it's cheap enough. Or can I trade you a nice bridge for it? It's in Brooklyn.

Seriously, if you come across another K28/2 cheap, sell one. Otherwise you'd be a fool to get rid of it. You would regret that for a long time. It would be like me selling a Maria Martinez pot so I could buy the latest Cuisinart. Digital cameras depreciate very quickly; they aren't even on the same time scale as great lenses, value-wise. Keep the lens. Or give it to me. I'll treat it right.

Last edited by RioRico; 12-15-2010 at 03:04 PM.
12-15-2010, 04:03 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I wouldn't sell that lens. And you're right, you do need a K-5. So what to do?

Sell something else! Your car, your family, or perhaps some internal organs should do it.

12-15-2010, 04:14 PM   #9
axl
Veteran Member

to make a point:
NEVER sell lenses to fund camera! It will not return...

to elaborate:
few years down the line you'll think K-5 is old an served you well and you'll want the newest KMZ-D super or whatever they will call it... what will you sell then? Lenses (on the other hand) keep their value.. especially the ones like your K28/2! Only way it would loose it's value would be Pentax going out of business and nobody taking over K mount, or Pentax changing mount dramatically a la Canon (FD to EOS). But if Pentax will stay (and they definitely look good enough to do so = frankly I never thought they'd go down...) and they won't change the mount (they have no real reason to do so other than stupidity) your K28/2 will retain it's value and more possibly add few $//EUR or whatever on!
So my advice, keep the beautiful lens, max out your credit card if you really need it and then enjoy the sweet combo of K-5 + K28/2

to take a wee wee:
If you however decide to sell your K28 I'll happily offer you 100. I mean if you were to let lens like that go, you'd surely accept such generous offer
12-15-2010, 04:52 PM   #10
Site Supporter

+36 for keeping the K28/2.0, for the reasons mentioned above.

Phil
12-15-2010, 04:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

That lens is a collector item. It performs similar to optics of many modern day kit lenses. f2 to f2.8 not very flattering.
12-15-2010, 05:23 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is not that rare. For the real collectors it will matter if there is a "/" between the focal lenght and the apperture in the name or not.

Colwell rates it "very good". There is only one kit zoom that beat that, the FA28-70/straight f4 ("excellent"). I have that kit zoom, so we can swap if you like to

It is on my shopping list, but not on the top. And I would not sell it. But that is me. I've ever only sold one Pentax lens, and that was almost 20 years ago. Consider them my retirement found. Safer than stock market, like gold or land. How much did you pay? I must visit more garage sales...
12-15-2010, 05:46 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I'm going to go against the grain here and suggest that unless you planning on using it, you might as well go ahead and sell it as it doesn't sound like you were specifically looking for a 28/2, it was more like a good opportunity/bargain. There is no doubt it will hold it's value better than a K-5 in the long term, but at the end of the day if you feel that profit you can take on the lens would allow you to buy a tool that you would get a lot of use out of, I say go for it.
12-15-2010, 06:58 PM   #14
Inactive Account

In one way I'd agree with Dan except to ask, will you ever find another at that price? For me, the answer is keep it but I'm constantly buying and selling lenses to upgrade. It did help that when I bought my K5, I had the K7 and a K10d to sell. If you're starting from scratch however, the K28/f2 could easily put a $400+ dent in the camera. Consider this though..

[IMGtall]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4108/5121109995_a36116d644_b.jpg[/IMGtall]

[IMGTall]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1351/5132916999_1c21362b1a_b.jpg[/IMGtall]

[IMGtall]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4092/5121789266_8e553dbc92_z.jpg[/IMGtall]

12-15-2010, 07:35 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
In one way I'd agree with Dan except to ask, will you ever find another at that price?
I know what you mean, and assuming the OP got a good deal on the lens, you're right, he may never find another one at that price. However, the more pertinent question might be if the OP ever wants to buy one again in the future, how much more (or less) will it cost him vs what he sells it for now. If I found a 28/2 for $100 and sold it for $400 and then a year later regretted it, so long as I could find another 28/2 for around $400, I'd really be no worse off than had I kept it. In the meantime, the OP can use the fund to buy something he may want more right now, even if that something is a K-5 DSLR body that will depreciate much more quickly than a lens.