Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2010, 10:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax K 15mm vs DA15ltd...

Hiya Fellas,

Do what do you think?

I am attracted to the old K15mm because I can shoot it on film and get the equivalent of 10mm (now we are measuring film in terms of digital ya know?).

But what about the IQ? Flare, colour rendition, sharpness, etc?

Anyone has experience with both, or just the K15?

12-15-2010, 11:03 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K15 doesn't meter properly on digital (nor does the A version). Get the DA -its IQ/res is also better.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-15-2010, 11:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Although I have no MTF chart to prove this, I would suspect that if film is not incredibly important, you would be better off with the Sigma 10-20mm on digital than the K15 on anything.

Or, if you don't want to go as wide as 10mm on digital, the DA 15 is a stellar choice. That's the one I want.
12-15-2010, 11:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

DA of course

12-16-2010, 01:18 AM   #5
axl
Veteran Member

DA is a stellar lens, probably quarter of the size of K. K has very exposed front element and even with it's SMC will catch flare easier. DA is regarded as one of the best in current line up in terms of flare and glare control even with sun or other strong light source in the frame. But I hear you. There is something very intriguing about the old K series ladies! Do search on forum members, there should be guy under name womble. Pm him. He's got the K15 and will be able to tell you more about it. Good luck.
12-16-2010, 01:20 AM   #6
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K15 doesn't meter properly on digital (nor does the A version). Get the DA -its IQ/res is also better.
Not many UWAs do IMO. My 10-20 constantly undrexposes by 1.5-2 stops. But I haven't tried 14 or 15...
12-19-2010, 02:37 PM   #7
Forum Member

I can compare K15 directly with Sigma 10-20, and indirectly with DA 12-24 (indirectly in the sense that I no longer own it, but can compare pictures of the same subject). I cannot say anything about DA 15. My impressions:

1) K15 has the highest resolution, specifically also off-center. This holds true both with regard to Sigma 10-20 and with regard to DA 12-24.
2) Distortion is better controlled on K15 than on Sigma 10-20. (For DA 12-24, I cannot say on the basis of my pictures.)
3) Flare control is more difficult on K15 than on the younger lenses.
4) Metering on K15 is accurate on lower f-values but may need to be adjusted on higher f-values. (I am not sure whether this might have something to do with my Katz' Eye focusing screen.)
5) Colour reproduction on K15 is excellent, but like with most K series lenses, white balance will often need to be manually adjusted. (I should add that I generally find the colour reproduction on the DAs to be a tad oversaturated.) Like with most older lenses, CA occurs, but I would say less so than e.g. on K20.

Overall, K15 is an outstanding lens for Slow Photography: if you don't mind carrying a tripod and a weighty lens, and spending some time to choose the optimal settings and compose your images, then K15 will reward you with top-tier image quality. But if you want to pack light and shoot fast, DA 15 or Sigma 10-20 will be more appropriate.
12-19-2010, 04:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DirkG Quote
I can compare K15 directly with Sigma 10-20, and indirectly with DA 12-24 (indirectly in the sense that I no longer own it, but can compare pictures of the same subject). I cannot say anything about DA 15. My impressions:

1) K15 has the highest resolution, specifically also off-center. This holds true both with regard to Sigma 10-20 and with regard to DA 12-24.
2) Distortion is better controlled on K15 than on Sigma 10-20. (For DA 12-24, I cannot say on the basis of my pictures.)
3) Flare control is more difficult on K15 than on the younger lenses.
4) Metering on K15 is accurate on lower f-values but may need to be adjusted on higher f-values. (I am not sure whether this might have something to do with my Katz' Eye focusing screen.)
5) Colour reproduction on K15 is excellent, but like with most K series lenses, white balance will often need to be manually adjusted. (I should add that I generally find the colour reproduction on the DAs to be a tad oversaturated.) Like with most older lenses, CA occurs, but I would say less so than e.g. on K20.

Overall, K15 is an outstanding lens for Slow Photography: if you don't mind carrying a tripod and a weighty lens, and spending some time to choose the optimal settings and compose your images, then K15 will reward you with top-tier image quality. But if you want to pack light and shoot fast, DA 15 or Sigma 10-20 will be more appropriate.
I would sign nearly every word here. I also have the K15, the Sigma 10-20 and the Sigma 15-30 (which is a highly underrated lens, by the way).

The K15 sports very low distortion and I personally find the colour rendition fantastic. Sharpness is excellent if you go down to f/8 or f/11 and easily en par with the Sigma 10-20, which in itself is no slouch.

The only problem with the K15 I really find annoying is its non-existent flare resistance. If there is a strong light source in the field of view, the K15 flares heftily. May be a later A version has better coatings to reduce that, but I don't know.

Nevertheless a DA 15 is on my shopping list, because it is so small.

Ben