Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you use a focusing screen?
Yes 4853.93%
No 4146.07%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2010, 07:55 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use the Katzeye with Optibrite in my K10D

Comments:
  • Very busy view when doing macro (plain matte field works better for this application)
  • Expensive
  • Not as bright as stock screen when using slower (e.g. 18-55 kit) lens
  • Screen may need to be shimmed (mine did not)
Am I ever tempted to put the stock screen back in the camera? NO WAY

Steve

12-16-2010, 08:17 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Grocho - how did you manage to take a shot like that through the viewfinder ? Enlighten us then we can all do it and show what our various focus screens look like !

Cheers
Kevin
12-16-2010, 08:21 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I use a focusingscreen.com Nikon K3 screen in my K200D, in combination with the OME-53 viewfinder magnifier. I feel that the aftermarket screen both helps and hinders my focusing in different circumstances. Helps the most with faster lenses, however it is occasionally slightly annoying when using slower lenses due to there being a lot on the screen. I also have the rule of thirds markings too.
Like axl, most of the time I tend to use the microprism collar.
Like stevebrot, I will not be changing back to the factory screen. For my uses the benefits outweigh the minor cons.

cheers
12-16-2010, 09:41 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I have a KatzEye with optibrite in my K7, plus an OME-53. Overall, I'm really pleased with it, but I would agree that sometimes the split/collar seems to take up too much of the screen, though when you need it, you'll be glad that it does. I'm debating whether or not I'm going to move it over to my K5 when I get one. I'm thinking about trying to adopt the live view method as that seems to be improved on the K5. So I may leave it on the K7 and designate that as my MF body. If I miss it, I can always move it over.

Can't remember if anyone answered the question, but yes, the K7 and K5 screens are inter-changeable.

12-16-2010, 10:49 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
BTW, I thought this survey was very funny, since all Pentax DSLR cameras have focusing screens in them, so the question should really be: "Do you use an alternate focusing screen in your camera?"
12-16-2010, 11:00 AM   #21

Photos: Gallery
we all understood it.. except you
12-16-2010, 11:01 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

An alternate method

Here is a completely different approach to focusing with manual lenses. The posted link refers to a series of excercises that really really really help improve your manual focusing skills. They are boring and time consuming, but once you finish you will not need a split image focusing screen.
Found that the link wars have eaten the link to Godfrey's post on DPR. In any event, to see the post go to DPR, click forums, click Pentax SLR forum, and search for the phrase "It's much easier to teach focusing in person." (w/o the quotes) Godfrey explains his "system" well.

NaCl(practice makes perfect)H2O

Last edited by NaClH2O; 12-17-2010 at 01:29 PM. Reason: removed dpr link and added search phrase
12-16-2010, 11:05 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Personally, no. I am very impressed with the screens in both the K-7 and K-5, as compared with other stock dSLR screens. Based on early testing, I am going to be able to get keeper rates of over 80% (judging only on focus success) with the K-5. And my eyes aren't that great, either.

12-16-2010, 11:22 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Can't remember if anyone answered the question, but yes, the K7 and K5 screens are inter-changeable.
Thanks !
12-16-2010, 11:22 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

up until now I've been using the K10 with the original screen and focus confirm ( and the diopter adjust pushed as far as i can)
I just received my focusingscreen.com Nikon K3 screen with rule of thirds grid, and expect to receive my Pentax M+3 diopter correction lens any day from the Pentax parts dept. this should allow my eyes to degrade at least another +1 and a bit before I resort to shooting with glasses on or give up on my manual lenses (I find the glasses awkward currently as i only need them for reading and computer work, not for anything else so i have to keep putting them on taking them off
Of course I've been using a screen all along on all my film gear (35mm and medium format) but with my damn glasses (the m adapter will eliminate it on my Pentax bodies anyway)
12-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #26
Veteran Member

No for me. I had a JNfinance on my K20 but I didn't like the blackout and metering errors that I was seeing. I switched back to the standard screen and have stuck with the original on my K-x as well. I just take my time and try to get close with the focus confirmation in the display then tweak by eye. I think I hit it pretty well overall. I'm sure it would be even better with the K-5.
12-16-2010, 11:35 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Am I ever tempted to put the stock screen back in the camera? NO WAY
When I replaced my first screen with a KatzEye and did not botch it, I was happy to leave it alone forever.

It worked great and did everything I wanted. I figured the cost of the screen added a couple of bucks to each manual-focus lens I had, and definitely made the lenses more useful.

I intended to add a KatzEye to the K-7 and factored that into my total cost, but have not yet. I have gotten better at MF, the K-7 is more trustworthy at AF, and I'm OK with the stock screen. I'll probably do it eventually but it's not a priority.
12-16-2010, 11:38 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
An alternate method

Here is a completely different approach to focusing with manual lenses. The posted link refers to a series of excercises that really really really help improve your manual focusing skills. They are boring and time consuming, but once you finish you will not need a split image focusing screen.
worth the time

NaCl(practice makes perfect)H2O
Can't get the link to work.
12-16-2010, 12:07 PM   #29
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gybp Quote
we all understood it.. except you
I understood it very well, but as I took the survey, it dawned on me that the question I was answering was beyond ambiguous, and it could have been a better survey if it actually listed some common alternate focus screens that people use, rather than relying on this comments section for some sub-section of people to spontaneously mention what they use.

But perhaps you understood all that, too?
12-16-2010, 12:53 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a KatzEye with Optibrite in my K10. Well worth the money and I would be without one if you shoot a lot manually. Only downside is spotmetering issues.

Tom G