Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

View Poll Results: Do you use a focusing screen?
Yes 4853.93%
No 4146.07%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2010, 11:07 AM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,264
the spot meter is screwed up by all the mf screens
only a full matte screen will not interfere with spot metering. this was never an issue for me as I have a spot meter attachment for my minolta autometer and could always use that for spot metering situations (mostly this only comes up for me when I'm shooting a landscape and want to work the zone system, otherwise i find the built in meter options fine

12-31-2010, 12:50 PM   #62
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,485
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
that's ok your old k7 now has one (though I did find the original screen very good)
I was wondering if you had it yet. What kind did you put in? Plain Katzeye?

12-31-2010, 10:06 PM   #63
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,994
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
the spot meter is screwed up by all the mf screens
only a full matte screen will not interfere with spot metering. this was never an issue for me as I have a spot meter attachment for my minolta autometer and could always use that for spot metering situations (mostly this only comes up for me when I'm shooting a landscape and want to work the zone system, otherwise i find the built in meter options fine
Actually, if I'm not mistaken, Katzeye's official position is that spot metering is affected by their screens only on bodies older than K7. In fact, I have not noticed it affecting my K7, and I would assume that it would not affect a K5, either.
12-31-2010, 11:13 PM   #64
Pentaxian
jeffshaddix's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,371
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Actually, if I'm not mistaken, Katzeye's official position is that spot metering is affected by their screens only on bodies older than K7. In fact, I have not noticed it affecting my K7, and I would assume that it would not affect a K5, either.
Thats good to know. What about for a microprism center instead of the split prism?

01-01-2011, 03:38 PM   #65
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,994
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Thats good to know. What about for a microprism center instead of the split prism?

Don't know. My only experience is with the Katzeye.
01-01-2011, 10:40 PM   #66
Pentaxian
jeffshaddix's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,371
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Don't know. My only experience is with the Katzeye.
No worries. I spoke to someone on the other forum that has an Ec-A type screen.

He hasn't had any problems with spot metering (or any metering) with the microprism in the center of the screen.

I just ordered my Ec-A style screen from focusingscreen.com. I'll let you guys my review when I get it in!
01-02-2011, 12:22 AM   #67
Veteran Member
yeatzee's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Temecula
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,675
Yes on k200d no on k-7. I often wish I had one in the k-7 but since I shoot primarily macros its not going to happen. They take up to much of the viewfinder making it hard to see what's minutely in focus or not.

I make due with live view
01-02-2011, 09:47 AM   #68
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,994
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Yes on k200d no on k-7. I often wish I had one in the k-7 but since I shoot primarily macros its not going to happen. They take up to much of the viewfinder making it hard to see what's minutely in focus or not.

I make due with live view
I can definitely see that being an issue. I'm thinking about trying to adopt the live view method whenever I finally get a K5. I can always move the screen over from the K7 if I don't like it.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Katzeye Optics Split-Screen Focusing Screen for K-7 (CONUS) porterHause Sold Items 2 12-07-2010 05:08 PM
Focusing manual lens with OEM focusing screen, is a split screen really needed? skid2964 Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 16 09-17-2010 02:54 PM
For Sale - Sold: Minolta X-700 Focusing Screen (for you to cut your own split screen) frank Sold Items 3 09-24-2009 10:08 PM
Manual lenses K10D focusing screen Pentastic Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 08-11-2009 05:06 PM
For Sale - Sold: K100d and 18-55mm kit lens + split focusing screen installed + glass screen pr vanchaz2002 Sold Items 1 07-24-2008 07:09 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:34 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top