Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you use a focusing screen?
Yes 4853.93%
No 4146.07%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2010, 03:09 PM   #31
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I use manual lenses extensively, hence another vote for both Katzeye screens (mine have the optibrite treatment, doesn't cost much extra) and O-ME53 magnifier on all my bodies, life's hard enough lets not make it any more difficult than it needs to be.

12-16-2010, 04:34 PM   #32

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Lovin' all the responses!! I'm not sure if its /bc I was just really used to the *ist DS i had or if I'm doing something wrong but it doesn't seem like when the K-r beeps when its "focused" its not always focused they way I thought it was so I got the screen hoping it works out better
12-16-2010, 06:41 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Can't get the link to work.
damn - another casualty of the stupid pf/dpr link wars.

http://forums.********************message=21618773

just replace the stars with "digital photography review.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&" except use dp instead of digital photography and of course no space between the p and review. Hope that helps

NaCl(this is a real damn pain)H2O

Last edited by NaClH2O; 12-16-2010 at 06:59 PM. Reason: worked around stupid link ban
12-16-2010, 07:31 PM   #34
mhd
Inactive Account

Having learned on an old all manual canon FTB with the prisms that disappear when focus is achieved, I've long missed the ease of focusing with one. I've been tempted to purchase one of these but it seems like a fairly expensive gamble when the cons aren't fairly well articulated. How exactly does it screw up the metering? Is there an effect on auto-focus when a non-manual lens is in use? Ugh... too many unknowns to pony up the money.

mhd

12-16-2010, 07:46 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mhd Quote
Having learned on an old all manual canon FTB with the prisms that disappear when focus is achieved, I've long missed the ease of focusing with one. I've been tempted to purchase one of these but it seems like a fairly expensive gamble when the cons aren't fairly well articulated. How exactly does it screw up the metering? Is there an effect on auto-focus when a non-manual lens is in use? Ugh... too many unknowns to pony up the money.

mhd
KatzEye's official position, backed up by my experience, is that the K7 (and I assume the K5) do not suffer from any spot-metering issues, at least not with their screens. Earlier bodies can. There are no AF issues on any body, to my knowledge, as the AF operates independently of the focus screen.
12-16-2010, 09:28 PM   #36

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote

just replace the stars with "digital photography review.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&" except use dp instead of digital photography and of course no space between the p and review. Hope that helps

Thank you for this link! I'm gonna try this before the screen gets here and see how well I do
12-17-2010, 12:56 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Yes, from focusingscreen.com

12-17-2010, 06:38 AM   #38
Ira
Inactive Account

I give up.

Can you PM it to me?
12-17-2010, 10:40 AM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I give up.

Can you PM it to me?
here you go: LINK
12-17-2010, 10:49 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marlboroman Quote
here you go: LINK
OK I give up. How did you do this trick? If it's illeagal to post it publically, PM me.

NaCl(now I'm forced to smuggle information....does that make me a nefarious internet spy?)H2O
12-17-2010, 11:00 AM   #41
Veteran Member

OK I give up. How did you do this trick? If it's illeagal to post it publically, PM me.

NaCl(now I'm forced to smuggle information....does that make me a nefarious internet spy?)H2O
it's a tinyurl he posted not a direct link, nice way around it perhaps we should flood the other guys with tinyurl links coming this way lol
12-17-2010, 11:06 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Yes, it's much easier. I did pretty good before with the technique posted above about finding the transition point, but that's still pretty hard with moving subjects...
12-17-2010, 11:27 AM   #43

back to topic:
I tried NaClH2O's method out and it seems promising, after a couple of shooting series i've seen some improvement in my focusing (not much but still).
12-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #44
Veteran Member

It hasn't been as difficult to transition for me since it's really a return to the way i started, and I've been shooting medium format this way for quite a while as well
the biggest improvement for me was getting my +3 diopter things are crisp now, alot of missed focus i think was my eyes not my technique. on my MF i wear my glasses as i haven't sourced a replacement diopter yet
12-17-2010, 11:57 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

another one for Katzeye.

It makes manual focussing a pleasure, and reminiscent of the old-days when auto-focus was a novelty used to sell expensive kit to people with little sense.

Dons fireproof overalls