Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2010, 02:42 AM   #1
Forum Member

Lens hoods.. when to use?

Hello

I would like to know your opinion if it's ok to use lens hoods whilst shooting indoors or at night.

A long time ago I was shooting with my K7 and Pentax DA*60-250 (hood off)
As I bent down my camera swung off my shoulder and glanced a wall.
No damage but if it hit the lens front on, there most certainly would have been severe damage.

I've heard UV filters are ok but still don't offer the best protection to cushion the impact.

Yes I know, I should be more careful and I have.
Since then I always have the lens hood on for every shot, day/night/indoors.

I was at school event the other night, some other parents with DSLR and good lenses along with Pro photographer. None of them were using lens hoods accept me.

I felt like a bit of a tool, but I'd hate myself if I followed the crowd and took it off then something happened to my lens.

What do you PPL think, leave it on or off?
Is there any detrimental effect if it's left on?

Cheers

12-16-2010, 03:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Leave it on. I only take it off if I have to use the built-in flash.
12-16-2010, 03:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Unless the physical size is a concern (sometimes a problem in macro/close up), or it is blocking the popup flash, there is pretty much no reason not to use it at all times.

I always use the hood on all my lenses under any circumstance, except when I want to grab a quick snapshot and am too lazy to bother fiddling with it.

Last edited by Cannikin; 12-16-2010 at 03:23 AM.
12-16-2010, 03:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

On, always. For physical protection, and even a rubber hood is better than none. For optical quality, because even with SMC coatings, glare reduces contrast and IQ.

Nobody else uses hoods? An actual working pro might know when a hood is unneeded; but most of the folks I see wandering about with dSLRs with big lenses and no hoods obviously aren't working pros and don't know IQ from HP. And I've been mistaken for a pro more than once because of hoods on my lenses. "Oh, you have a REAL camera -- can you help me with this?" (Well, photography was my job long ago, so maybe I *am* a pro, if obsolete.)

There are exceptions. If shooting under controlled conditions with no lights or reflections aimed into the lens, a hood is optional. I use more than a few manual lenses with deep insets that act as built-in lens hoods. And with some shots, you may WANT glare, for dramatic / artistic purposes. Or so you can tell yourself. But glare can be added in PP. I can think of very few shots in my 55-odd years of photography where lens glare added to a picture.

BTW, UV filters generally suck. They were necessary on film cameras; but on digital, they mainly protect the finances of whomever is selling them. If you are shooting in conditions of blowing sand, flying gravel, squirting mud & blood & beer, that kind of stuff, then a clear optical filter makes sense. Otherwise it just degrades IQ.

12-16-2010, 04:32 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Much appreciated for your prompt replies.
I also feel much better on your opinions in regards to keeping the hood on.

Just when your at such an event and the Pro is using a D700 with 70-200 2.8 without hood, I start second guessing myself.

But do feel better regarding protection with the hood on.

Thanks

Del
12-16-2010, 04:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VHDEL Quote
Just when your at such an event and the Pro is using a D700 with 70-200 2.8 without hood, I start second guessing myself.
Possibilities:

* The pro is not competent. This happens...
* The pro wants to be a bit less intimidating.
* The pro carefully avoids shooting into light sources.
* The pro is adept at shooping-away optical problems.

Rather than fret over the behaviour of one alleged pro at a school event, view some events where numerous actual pros gather and snap away, like press conferences, fashion shows, etc. Note the prevalence of lens hoods. Case closed.
12-16-2010, 05:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use mine all the time, unless there is a specific reason not to, e.g. I'm using my Cokin filters.

QuoteOriginally posted by VHDEL Quote
I was at school event the other night, some other parents with DSLR and good lenses along with Pro photographer. None of them were using lens hoods accept me.

I felt like a bit of a tool, but I'd hate myself if I followed the crowd and took it off then something happened to my lens.
And who cares what other people are doing anyway? If you wanted to be a sheep, then you'd probably would be shooting CaNikon anyway