Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2010, 07:22 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Polarizing Filter- using one ?

Not exactly a lens question, but I apologize. A filter question that attaches to a lens.

Hope this is close enough for this forum.

I've never had or used, a polarizing filter, but friend of mine recently got one for his Pentax 55-300mm lens.

The camera store clerk attached this filter to the lens, but we don't know how to remove it from the end of the lens.

His camera is a Pentax K200D.

I know a polarizing filter is supposed to move around...but if you want to remove it....how do you do it ?

Also any tips for using a polarizing filter to it's best advantage ?

Are there conditions under which you should not use a polarizing filter and what would these be ?

Should a Polarizing filter be on the lens at all times, ie: also function as a protective filter ?

I have always used either a UV or a clear filter as protection for my lenses.

Thank you for any info.

12-16-2010, 07:57 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Polarizer

Hi,

I regularly use a polarizer, it is about the only filter (other than a neutral density) that you can't replicate the effect of with software now.

To remove- the outer ring rotates, the inner ring allows the polarizer to be removed (counterclockwise of course)

A polarizer is used to reduce glare on non-metallic surfaces and increase contrast between clouds and sky most commonly

Don't use a polarizer in low light as it decreases the light hitting the sensor.

You can leave it on all the time if you're shooting in high light situations only.

Hope this helps.
12-16-2010, 08:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Should a Polarizing filter be on the lens at all times, ie: also function as a protective filter ?
Generally, polarizing filters aren't considered a protective filter, i.e. to leave on 24/7. However, I suppose if you have a lens that you only use outside (when a polarizer is needed) then sure you could leave a polarizer on all the time and you wouldn't need a UV or protector filter in that case since the polarizer would be filling that position.

If that makes sense.
12-16-2010, 10:04 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A polarizer cuts the light by a stop or two, which you may have to compensate for with a longer shutter speed or higher ISO.

It cuts reflections on water and windows, but makes the sky unnaturally dark.

Digital sensors are not affected by UV like film cameras were, so a UV filter is mostly pointless - but that does not influence salesmen.

As far as protection goes, a lens hood and judicious use of the lens cap works wonders. I would consider using a filter at the beach or a tractor pull contest - that's about it :-)

12-17-2010, 12:21 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I want to thank all those who contributed...I will pass onto my friend...and now I'm interested in getting a polarized filter.