Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2006, 04:55 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How may people use a filter to protect their lens? what's your favourate?

I was wondering how people felt about putting a filter at the end of the lens to protect it? Is it always on?. I have always done it, but I am not sure if I was loosing any photo quality from it.
what is your favourate type and manufacturer?

any opinions welcome!

thanks ahead of time

cheers

randy

12-06-2006, 05:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Randy,

I'm new to Pentax, but with Canon - filters stay on all the time on any oudoor use lenses. I've read much info on expensive Hoya filters and photographic comparison for quality to those of much less expensive brands... I honestly did not see a justifyable reason to spend $90+ on pro-digital Hoya's...

My outdoor/landscape photo's - I'm very happy with Fotodiox "slim line" filters... I also use their Circular Polarizer filter for landscapes - can make the colors really standout and appear fuller (specially leafs) by reducing the glare...

Just my $0.2

Regards,
D
12-06-2006, 05:56 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
In my film days when I was hoisting a 35mm specifically, I always kept a haze filter over the end. I was rough on cameras but I never damaged a lense. Have seen some pretty dramatic photos of dropped lenses/on and off camera that took the hit on the haze filter and the lense survived with minor scratches. Probably worth the investment. By the way you can pick up a Pro haze filter at Ritz Camera for less that $20 USD.
12-06-2006, 05:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I've got a Tiffen UV on my lens. It keeps the fingerprints off the front element, but I don't think about it much.

I've seen a bunch of broken lenses though, and more than a few busted filters. Who knows? It might save my bacon some day.

12-06-2006, 11:49 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a UV on most of the time. But I'm not super fussy.
12-07-2006, 02:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I used to have a Cookin UV filter that produced noticeable additional flare so I put it on only when I thought it would save the lens from dirt until one day I was cleaning the lens and found a spot that was very hard to clean (I was afraid that it won't come off). Then I bought Cookin UV MC (multi coated) filter that's always on and adds very little flare
I use filter only on Sigma 18-50/2.8 that is the widest (front element is more exposed even with hood), most used and was mos expensive (my other lenses are second hand).
12-10-2006, 09:38 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I Do not use a UV Filter unless i Need it For a reason. If the camera is out of the bag, I Make sure a lens hood is on it. I have replaced a couple of lense hoods But not the entire lense. IMHO the lense hood Will Protect the the lense

JMHO YMMV

BK
12-11-2006, 03:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Some of my lenses have protective filters on them....

If so they are either B+W MRC UV filters or Hoya Pro 1 Protection filters..

12-12-2006, 06:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I don't use protective filters. I haven't found any that don't degrade picture quality. The hood is always on my lens and if I am not shooting the cap is on, and/or the lens is pointed down.

I haven't broken a lens yet, although I did crack a lens hood once.
12-13-2006, 03:15 AM   #10
Inactive Account

To tell you the truth I think it's a crap shoot. I have used UV haze filters and Skylight filters on lenses over the years. On some lenses I would notice a slight difference and others you wouldn't notice any difference. At the time I was shooting film it was rare the lens had a hood on it so I would say if you don't use the hood (for the lenses now there is a reason to use the hood) than use a UV or clear glass filter which will not distort or subtract from the use of the lens.

There are other times I will use a filter for just that purpose (to distort or add a different color) just as I would in film but again this isn't very often and since I do my own pp now I can change this with a computer if I want. A good circular polarizer is always handy to have on real bright days. If you want a real rich blue sky effect in the shot it comes in handy.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David
12-13-2006, 09:34 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
In my film days when I was hoisting a 35mm specifically, I always kept a haze filter over the end. I was rough on cameras but I never damaged a lense. Have seen some pretty dramatic photos of dropped lenses/on and off camera that took the hit on the haze filter and the lense survived with minor scratches. Probably worth the investment. By the way you can pick up a Pro haze filter at Ritz Camera for less that $20 USD.

I noticed on my KM 5D that the Ritz camera UV filters (the Quantaray I believe) produces a lot of ghosting if your'e shooting at streetlights/car headlights. Even at an angle.

Anybody use those fancy 5+coated Hoya UV filters? Supposedly they prevent that from happening.

Edit: found this link, good info:
Filters - UV or not UV?
12-13-2006, 10:02 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skydragoness Quote
Edit: found this link, good info:
Filters - UV or not UV?
The link is good if you are looking for something that stops UV-rays.

As that is not a concern with a dSLR we can worry more about flare and ghosting. Some info in an old thread of mine at DPR:
Home Test: UV-filters - good or bad?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

regards,
12-13-2006, 02:22 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I don't use UV filters for protection, I think that lense cap is doing that job better than UV filter
12-13-2006, 02:38 PM   #14

I always use filters on my lenses to protect them. When a lens costs about £500 it is worth while to spend another £25 to protect it.

I use Hoya HMC or super HMC when I can afford it.

There was recently a post on DPReview where a guy had done some very extensive testing of filters on/off on a wide range of lenses and his conclusion was that any deterioration there might be, was unnoticable or impossible to detect. So keep'um on, I think.

Mike
12-13-2006, 02:41 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
I don't use UV filters for protection, I think that lense cap is doing that job better than UV filter
Depends, I go down the beach a bit and walking around taking photos on the rocks there is a LOT of salt spray, I prefer to clean the salt off the filter than off the front lens element.. ;-)