Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2010, 12:35 AM   #1
Inactive Account

50-135mm Star lens

I finaly ordered a K5 and also a bunch of other stuff including a 50-135 da* lens. I am having a problem with it. The auto focus on the lens does not work at all, I can hear something trying to move but that is it. I but both my other lenses on the new K5 and they work fine. I also tried the 50-135 on my K20d and it does not work there either. I have read throught the manuals for both the camera and lens and find nothing of help there. Anyone have any ideas. I was curious if there are any settings or anything I dont know about but that does not seem likely as the other two zooms work on the new body. Also the manufacturors box has a small rip in it and looks like it has been opened before I dont know if that is unusual either. I ordered everything from Adorama, I have ordered from them before and had no problems but this looks repackaged. I would appeciate any imput, thanks.

12-18-2010, 12:39 AM   #2
Inactive Account

simply return and exchange.
12-18-2010, 05:31 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Send it back. Sounds like the SDM motor is burned out. It can be fixed, but there is no sense messing with it. Just get a new one from Adorama and tell them that this one is broken.
12-18-2010, 06:16 AM   #4

this always amazes me. where i live - there wouldn't be a solution (or even a choice) to have smth sent back... only after many (and i really mean "many") issues and time spent on this matter, there will be only a small chance to have such a problem solved...

12-18-2010, 07:41 AM   #5
Forum Member

Before you send it back try this. With the lens mounted, both body and lens switches in AF position and the camera turned on, press the shutter release half way while rotating the focus ring on the lens.

I have three SDM lenses and this procedure seems to wake them up after having not been used for a while. I have no idea why, but it has always worked for me.
12-18-2010, 08:41 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by foxhead Quote
Before you send it back try this. With the lens mounted, both body and lens switches in AF position and the camera turned on, press the shutter release half way while rotating the focus ring on the lens.

I have three SDM lenses and this procedure seems to wake them up after having not been used for a while. I have no idea why, but it has always worked for me.
Even if this worked, it would worry me to have a brand new lens that required this procedure and i would send the lens back. I don't need to do this to either of my DA * lenses to wake them up.
12-18-2010, 09:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

It hasn't been directly asked, but since most Pentax lenses don't have an AF/MF switch...did you make sure the lens switch is set to AF? Did you attempt to use the liveview contrast detect AF?

after those two things, if its not working at all on the K5 or K20, I'd definitely get a replacement.

12-19-2010, 02:11 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by greymda Quote
this always amazes me. where i live - there wouldn't be a solution (or even a choice) to have smth sent back... only after many (and i really mean "many") issues and time spent on this matter, there will be only a small chance to have such a problem solved...
Same here. You can cancel the sale within 7 days, though. That's cancelling, not exchanging.
12-19-2010, 02:16 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks All, I tried most of the things mentioned before then tried holding the shutter half and turning the ring to wake it up, didnt work but even if it did I think I would have sent it back. I returned it for and exchange and will see what happens. Thanks again
12-19-2010, 12:42 PM   #10
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Sifu Quote
Thanks All, I tried most of the things mentioned before then tried holding the shutter half and turning the ring to wake it up, didnt work but even if it did I think I would have sent it back. I returned it for and exchange and will see what happens. Thanks again
Please let me know if you need any help with the exchange.
12-19-2010, 01:01 PM   #11

nice to know threads are watched
01-09-2011, 03:29 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I just wanted to report that the exchange on my 50 to 135 DA* lens has been made and I am loving the new one. Adorama was great two work with, the woman I talked to was great and very helpful. Heck even with the big snowfall it got taken care of rather fast. The only negative was that I spent the money for two day shipping on the one that did not work and the second one came regular delivery about a week, but hey it got here. To date I have made probably five or six orders with Adorama and all have been great. Thanks for the help everyone and Adorama.
01-09-2011, 03:33 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
Please let me know if you need any help with the exchange.
Thanks for the offer of help, I am happy to say all went well and I received the new lens without any problems.
thanks again.
01-09-2011, 01:16 PM   #14
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Sifu Quote
I just wanted to report that the exchange on my 50 to 135 DA* lens has been made and I am loving the new one. Adorama was great two work with, the woman I talked to was great and very helpful. Heck even with the big snowfall it got taken care of rather fast. The only negative was that I spent the money for two day shipping on the one that did not work and the second one came regular delivery about a week, but hey it got here. To date I have made probably five or six orders with Adorama and all have been great. Thanks for the help everyone and Adorama.
Very good to hear; thank you so much for the feedback