Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2010, 04:57 AM   #1

Help with a Zenitar 4.5/300

I just received a used Zenitar 4.5/300 from an Ebay purchase and I'm pretty sure I have been sent a damaged lens. The aperture just isn't working!

I've handled fully manual lenses before (got my first SLR in the '80s) but never a K-Mount so I'd like to make sure I'm not making an ass of myself.

When not connected to the camera the aperture should open and close when I turn the aperture ring, right? With this lens the aperture stays open, no matter what. The lever on the mount by which the aperture is opened/closed by the camera also does nothing and is suspiciously loose.

Of course it is impossible to shoot with the lens, as the aperture is also always at max when connected to the camera.

So, should I write an impolite email to the seller or am I overlooking something obvious?

12-18-2010, 09:29 AM   #2

Sounds like mechanical link problem...

... but don't be too mean to the seller up front - damage could have occurred in shipping.

Mike
12-18-2010, 10:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Could it be possible this is a two step apature lens? There are some lenses (especially old Russian) where your apature dial sets the dial, but then you have to use another button or ring to actually stop the lens down?

Just a thought.
12-18-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds like oil on the blades. Jiggle the aperture lever, sometimes that unsticks the blades. Otherwise it has to be opened and cleaned.

12-18-2010, 11:02 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for all the answers so far!

QuoteOriginally posted by Stringmike Quote
... but don't be too mean to the seller up front - damage could have occurred in shipping.
Don't worry, I was exaggerating. I usually don't get nasty when not really provoked.

QuoteOriginally posted by omega leader Quote
Could it be possible this is a two step apature lens? There are some lenses (especially old Russian) where your apature dial sets the dial, but then you have to use another button or ring to actually stop the lens down?

Just a thought.
Interesting, I had never heard about that. Don't think that's the case though, at least I can't find another button. Still good to keep that in mind when contacting the seller, thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Sounds like oil on the blades. Jiggle the aperture lever, sometimes that unsticks the blades. Otherwise it has to be opened and cleaned.
I don't think the lever is doing anything when I move it, it does not seem to be connected to anything anymore.

I'm thinking about asking the seller for a partial refund and trying to fix the lens. An interesting project for the upcoming vacation if nothing else... How much would you be willing to pay for a lens like this with a mechanical defect? All in all the lens feels really solid.
12-19-2010, 01:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

What mount does it have?
If M42 is there a pin at the base of the mount as the pin will activate the aperture mechanism. If the aperture control is at the front of the lens then a second ring usually acts as the aperture control.
12-19-2010, 12:18 PM   #7

Original Poster
The lens has a K-mount. The aperture ring is is at the base of the lens. Looks all pretty standard to me.

I also just got an answer from the seller. He never tested the thing before putting it on ebay, and has never actually used it!

So I assume it is broken, but I'll ask for a partial refund and either try to fix it myself or ask at the only remaining local camera store. This lens really looks interesting.