Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2007, 03:11 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Pentax A 35-105

Hi,

I'm new on the forum. I own a K100d Super & 18-55 and now I have the opportunity to buy a Pentax A 35-105 lens. After all the good reviews I have read on this 'oldie' I'm now convinced I want this lens.
But ! Will this lens fit on the K100d Body? Or do I need an adapter ring for it?

Thanks in adv. for your help

Tom

09-29-2007, 03:31 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Buy the lens!

All K mount lenses fit without an adapter. Remember that you don't get all of the fancy functions with old lenses.
09-29-2007, 04:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Yes you do!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Hornet Quote
All K mount lenses fit without an adapter. Remember that you don't get all of the fancy functions with old lenses.
Well. almost all of them. That is a great lens BUY IT!!!! I just got back from Stalking moose in Baxter state park and caught a few shots with that lens. Give me a couple of hours and I will post one if any are good. As far as fancy function go, it does them all except for auto focus and I use focus trap for that so it is close to fully automatic.

Regards,

Ken
09-29-2007, 04:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Tom,

If you have an opportunity to get that lens for under $200.00 and in excellent condition you should consider buying it. It is one of the sharpest, if not the sharpest zoom that Pentax has made to date (personally I think it rivals and perhaps can beat the DA*s in output... and I know this because I use all three of these lenses). The aperture is a fixed 3.5 across the board wide open and the macro on this lens is actually quite usable in a pinch. The lens is a touch heavy (but incredibly solid in build) and if you are using a neck strap on the K100D you might find that the lens likes to tilt the camera body down. On the K10D it will balance somewhat more favorably.

This IS an outstanding lens. I would be most surprised if you were not satisfied with the outcome of your images.

Stephen

09-30-2007, 01:31 AM   #5
Tom
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I'm even more convinced now, and the price ? Well it's a real bargain: 50 Euro !!!! (That's about 58 USD I suppose)
09-30-2007, 03:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Congrats!

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Quote
Thanks guys. I'm even more convinced now, and the price ? Well it's a real bargain: 50 Euro !!!! (That's about 58 USD I suppose)
You are going to love it. Try trap focus when you want it to act as an auto lens.

Regards,
Ken
09-30-2007, 06:05 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tom,

Just a clarification here.

If you are talking about the Pentax A 35-105 f3.5 then the lens is superb.

If you are talking about the Pentax A 35-105 f4-5.6 then that is a totally different ballgame.
While there have been some positive comments about the later... the superior lens is the f3.5 by a very wide margin.

If you can get the 3.5 for 58 bucks it is an outright steal. . More than likely though that price is for the 4-5.6

Just thought some clarification was in order when you quoted the price. Hope, for your sake, it is the 3.5 though.

Stephen

09-30-2007, 12:01 PM   #8
Inactive Account

There is only one "A" series 35-105 lens and it is a constant aperature 3.5. The "F" series is the one that is variable from f4-5.6 so as long as it is a series "A" lens you are fine.
I think this is one of the best older zooms made by Pentax as far as the sharpness and color quality goes and I am sure you will find it to be a very usefull lens if you purchas it. I paid 140 US$ for mine and was happy to get it for that price.
Kenn
09-30-2007, 05:11 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KennJ Quote
There is only one "A" series 35-105 lens and it is a constant aperature 3.5. The "F" series is the one that is variable from f4-5.6 so as long as it is a series "A" lens you are fine.
I think this is one of the best older zooms made by Pentax as far as the sharpness and color quality goes and I am sure you will find it to be a very usefull lens if you purchas it. I paid 140 US$ for mine and was happy to get it for that price.
Kenn
Thanks Ken,

An oversight on my part.

I knew that they made another, but since I never used anything other than K and KA before adding some digital lenses into the mix I wasn't quite sure what lens code was for the other 35-105.
Stephen
10-01-2007, 06:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I have the A 35-105f3.5 that I bought with my Super-A some 25 years ago and could not part with it when I needed money to go digital!!

I don't regret keeping it as it is a very sharp lens with moderately wide constant aperture and a close focus hability accessible at all focals that gives it and excellent polyvalence.

I find it very constrasty @f3.5, maybe it is what gives the impression of strong sharpness...
10-01-2007, 12:08 PM   #11
Tom
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I got the lens last night. It's a beauty ! It's in mint condition, really incredible state for such an old glass.
My first impressions:
- I took some pics. this morning from the balcony, and I must say, it's sharp & clear.
- It's rather on the heavy side, esp. cause the K100D Body is such a lightweight and small camera, the two really make a heavy combination and it's not easy to find the perfect balance whilst shooting .

But so far, I'm really happy with it, and for such a small price, this lens will become my 'How-to-shoot-MANUAL'-lens.

Thanks to all for your input on this topic, you really helped me out, here !
10-01-2007, 01:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Try focus trap

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Quote
But so far, I'm really happy with it, and for such a small price, this lens will become my 'How-to-shoot-MANUAL'-lens.

!
Tom,
I just got back from taking some test shots with a M100mm that I bought on ebay last week. I checked it out against a M 135mm and the 35-105. The 35-105 did very, very well compared to the prime.

Let me urge you to try focus trap with it. Set your aperture and shutter to what you want. Put the AF in AF-s. Aim at something out of focus, press and old down the shutter button. It won't fire because you are not in focus. Now while holding the shutter button down turn the focus ring and when it gains focus it will fire.

Have fun,

Ken