Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-20-2010, 08:55 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
Is this true of all M lenses? Or just the version 2 M28/2.8?

From what I've seen the A lenses usually sell for 50-100% more than M lenses so it does make some financial sense as long as you don't screw everything up...
This only work if the lens has a straight aperture lever, otherwise, the camera will not properly set the aperture when you shoot, and you get exposure problems.

Theoretically, you can tell the camera the maximum aperture this way though.

01-20-2011, 04:43 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I got a chance to use this lens a nice bit over xmas and a trip to Jamaica. It took really beautiful landscape shots and portraits, very nice colours and a really interesting bokeh. A bit soft wide open but stopped down a bit it was razor sharp. I think I need a focus screen though because the viewfinder on the K-r its not so easy to see the focus and the beeps are always a bit off I find.

Now im afraid ive developed LBA! All I do now is scour the marketplace and fleabay looking for random rare film lenses Currently hunting for a Cosina 55 1.2, so the bokeh addiction begins!

Im interested in mostly wide-ish primes with nice sharpness but more so interesting character, colour and BOKEH! I know there are a million threads b/c ive been reading them. But i'll take any of your suggestions for more cheap and cheerful (but still reasonably sharp) primes to play with!
01-20-2011, 05:25 PM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
I got a chance to use this lens a nice bit over xmas and a trip to Jamaica. It took really beautiful landscape shots and portraits, very nice colours and a really interesting bokeh. A bit soft wide open but stopped down a bit it was razor sharp. I think I need a focus screen though because the viewfinder on the K-r its not so easy to see the focus and the beeps are always a bit off I find.

Now im afraid ive developed LBA! All I do now is scour the marketplace and fleabay looking for random rare film lenses Currently hunting for a Cosina 55 1.2, so the bokeh addiction begins!

Im interested in mostly wide-ish primes with nice sharpness but more so interesting character, colour and BOKEH! I know there are a million threads b/c ive been reading them. But i'll take any of your suggestions for more cheap and cheerful (but still reasonably sharp) primes to play with!
Then you should look through here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31353-off-brand-club.html

You can also check out my picasa albums and I kinda have the different lenses categorized, kinda: http://picasaweb.google.com/home

I really like my Chinon 50 1.9 and all my off brand lenses, they all produce nice bokeh but you can achieve good bokeh with almost any lens given the right circumstances. There are some really good buys in the Marketplace for M's and other assorted prime lenses but zooms will also produce!!! FYI - if you are referring to the M28 f.28 lens as being soft wide open, you probably did not focus it 100% right on, I have this lens and I think it's pretty sharp wide open. I've found most "soft images" produced by prime lenses is due to misfocusing...

Anyway, have fun and good luck, Rick
01-20-2011, 05:30 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by theunartist Quote
Then you should look through here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31353-off-brand-club.html

You can also check out my picasa albums and I kinda have the different lenses categorized, kinda: http://picasaweb.google.com/home

I really like my Chinon 50 1.9 and all my off brand lenses, they all produce nice bokeh but you can achieve good bokeh with almost any lens given the right circumstances. There are some really good buys in the Marketplace for M's and other assorted prime lenses but zooms will also produce!!! FYI - if you are referring to the M28 f.28 lens as being soft wide open, you probably did not focus it 100% right on, I have this lens and I think it's pretty sharp wide open. I've found most "soft images" produced by prime lenses is due to misfocusing...

Anyway, have fun and good luck, Rick
Thanks Rick, ill check those links out. Thats funny I almost bid on a Chinon 50 1.9 last night Seemed interesting especially for the price!

You are probably right about the missed focus on the M28 because I dont have a splitscreen yet and it was often during sunset time. I did get many super sharp shots out of it though, and some of my best actually!

01-20-2011, 05:59 PM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
Thanks Rick, ill check those links out. Thats funny I almost bid on a Chinon 50 1.9 last night Seemed interesting especially for the price!

You are probably right about the missed focus on the M28 because I dont have a splitscreen yet and it was often during sunset time. I did get many super sharp shots out of it though, and some of my best actually!
You should get this, it makes a big difference to some: Pentax O-ME53 Magnifying eyepiece - otherwise it takes a lot of practice and knowing how it looks in your viewfinder once it's in focus and then knowing how each lens comes into focus, either from infinity back or vice versa, I think you know what I mean...

I'm hooked on these manual primes, I started with the 28 and 50 and now I have like @ 20, my better half keeps looking in my little "hobby" cabinet, and asks, do you need all of these? I am done collecting though... :-)

Have a good time - Rick

BTW - the Takumars are all over the market and they seem to be the best deals at the moment, especially the 55 1.8 or 2 and the 135 3.5... probably under 35 delivered via Ebay...

Chinon 50 1.9

Last edited by theunartist; 01-20-2011 at 06:05 PM.
01-20-2011, 06:06 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by theunartist Quote
You should get this, it makes a big difference to some: Pentax O-ME53 Magnifying eyepiece - otherwise it takes a lot of practice and knowing how it looks in your viewfinder once it's in focus and then knowing how each lens comes into focus, either from infinity back or vice versa, I think you know what I mean...

I'm hooked on these manual primes, I started with the 28 and 50 and now I have like @ 20, my better half keeps looking in my little "hobby" cabinet, and asks, do you need all of these? I am done collecting though... :-)

Have a good time - Rick

BTW - the Takumars are all over the market and they seem to be the best deals at the moment, especially the 55 1.8 or 2 and the 135 3.5... probably under 35 delivered via Ebay...
Thanks Ill check out that eyepiece.

That sounds like quite the collection! I started dslrs with a nikon d60 kit while travellling for 20 months, 18-55 kit lens only, I used to think, I will never need more than 1-2 lenses...Now I fear I will have to start thinking of a nice cabinet for all the purchases I am going to make in the next couple years! lol

Yeah Ive been noticing some threads on the taks and also some nice shots from some of the eastern european lenses, I assume I would need an m42 adapter for any of those on my K-r?

That Chinon is nice!! Wow so much nice glass, and many are so cheap!
01-27-2011, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just to note. I went shooting with the M28 2.8 VII again recently. It is indeed super sharp wide-open, lovely colours. Still hard to nail MF on the K-r but im getting better, the softness I noticed before was def missed focus.