Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2010, 01:03 PM   #16
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
And a flash.
Make that two camera bodies, two f/2.8 zooms, and *two* flashes.
If there were faster zooms available, they'd be getting those...

12-20-2010, 01:37 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Yes, very true. But it always amazes me how many people don't want to use flash. I find that off-camera, bounced, or even diffused flash gives superior results in low light compared with a fast prime (i.e. high ISO, motion blur, odd colour balances and thin DOF). Everyone should have a fast prime, but everyone should have a high quality flash too, IMHO.

I find subjects are more tolerant of flash now that everybody in the world has a digital camera.
12-20-2010, 01:41 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
And the flashes on the end of a long bracket. Actually, It seems to me that most wedding professionals I've seen using zooms are buying something like the best quality zoom that the manufacturer of their system makes. Right now, that is usually an F/2.8.

On the other hand, I may be wrong, but I understood that the OP was not looking to become a professional.
12-20-2010, 01:46 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Yes, very true. But it always amazes me how many people don't want to use flash. I find that off-camera, bounced, or even diffused flash gives superior results in low light compared with a fast prime (i.e. high ISO, motion blur, odd colour balances and thin DOF). Everyone should have a fast prime, but everyone should have a high quality flash too, IMHO.

I find subjects are more tolerant of flash now that everybody in the world has a digital camera.
True. There are some venues where flash may have to be direct and may add a look that is not ideal. However, the majority of weddings and gatherings look much better when the photographer, rather than the available light, picks the aperture and ISO.

I find subjects much more tolerant of bounced flash, and it usually looks better as well.