Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2011, 10:54 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timo Quote
Or even better, do as I did and download a dof calculator app for your iphone. (Dofmaster, if I remember correctly) - works a treat!

Tim
Another vote for this is you have an iPhone. I bought both of this guy's programs for a total of about US$6.00

TrueDoF (near and far distances in focus and for different print settings) & Optimum Camera Settings (for determining the best settings for ultimate sharpness in print - includes a long explanation and settings for different sensors etc.).

01-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #17

I have wondered if it would make sense for this to be built into the camera body. Eg press the green button, and the camera uses its knowledge of the lens focal length and aperture to adjust focus to the hyperfocal distance for you. (You'd probably need to configure the circle of confusion in advance.)
01-02-2011, 01:27 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Brangdon Quote
I have wondered if it would make sense for this to be built into the camera body. Eg press the green button, and the camera uses its knowledge of the lens focal length and aperture to adjust focus to the hyperfocal distance for you. (You'd probably need to configure the circle of confusion in advance.)
I have thought the same thing; in fact, during some research I was doing the other day (I can't remember what exactly), I read a reviewer praising Canon for some program it had that helped determine hyperfocal distance. I tried Googling the subject and couldn't find it again, but it seems a relatively simple calculation for a camera to be capable of.
01-03-2011, 10:16 PM   #19
Inactive Account

I have heard of this close enough is good enough rule of thumb approach:

Hyperfocal distance (in meters) = Focal Length (in mms)/aperture

Easy to apply, doesn't tax your memory or mental maths ability, and seems to work well enough for zoom lenses (with a focal distance scale, using film bodies).

All my "prime" lenses have a DOF scale and allow easy setting of Hyperfocal Distance on the lens itself, something that seems to have got lost with the advent of AF lenses)

01-04-2011, 12:37 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Banjo Quote
I have heard of this close enough is good enough rule of thumb approach:

Hyperfocal distance (in meters) = Focal Length (in mms)/aperture

Easy to apply, doesn't tax your memory or mental maths ability, and seems to work well enough for zoom lenses (with a focal distance scale, using film bodies).

All my "prime" lenses have a DOF scale and allow easy setting of Hyperfocal Distance on the lens itself, something that seems to have got lost with the advent of AF lenses)

Actually, it is: Hyperfocal_f-stop ~ Focal_length_mm/Scene_width_meters
01-04-2011, 01:49 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
How do you hyperfocus something which is very far away.....eg. say a large field with nothing standing within 20m in front of you, or in a beach where the nearest mountain is like several hundred metres away....all using lenses such as DA14 and DA35 which lack the DOF markings?
DA14 has DOF markings. DA35/2.8 has DOF markings.

I think all DA-L lenses lack the DOF markings