Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2010, 09:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member
OrenMc's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,902
LBA for Voigtlander APO 90mm 3.5 SL1

I have been contemplating getting this lens and using it for my macro work. I know it only goes to 1:3.5 ratio but I can use tube to get me to 1:1. I currently have the Sigma 70 which is an outstanding lens but it just doesn't have that special effects the Voigtlanders have and build quality and is a little short on focal length. I have heard know but good about the Voigtlander 90/3.5 but that goes the same for the Sigma 70 macro.

I know there will be a variety of opinions and bottom line it is my decision and based on the type of shooting I do. I just miss the 58 1.4 Nokton I used to own which was an outstanding lens and hope to replace it someday also. Wish I could justify $1500 for the Voigt 125 macro but....

Just wanting to vent

12-19-2010, 09:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member
Todd Adamson's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Iowa
Posts: 722
CV/SL lenses are soo nice. I have considered the 90 for my Pentax body, but don't need it enough to justify it right now. I also just sold my CV58 in F-mount, and assumed I would pick it up in K-mount, but when the moment of truth came, I saw a great deal on the DA*55/1.4, and I like the weather-sealing, so I'm giving that a try for now.

Here's a shot I took with my F-mount 90/3.5:



BTW, I would probably find a way to come up with $1500 right now for the 125, IF I could find one available. From a reputable seller in the US.
12-19-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member
blende8's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bremen, Germany
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,484
I can only say that all Voigtlanders are well worth owning.
And you can always sell them without loosing much.

Check here for some shots with the Lanthar 90, incl. macro:
Voigtländer Lanthar 90/3.5 SLII for Pentax KA
12-19-2010, 08:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member
OrenMc's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,902
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Adamson Quote
CV/SL lenses are soo nice. I have considered the 90 for my Pentax body, but don't need it enough to justify it right now. I also just sold my CV58 in F-mount, and assumed I would pick it up in K-mount, but when the moment of truth came, I saw a great deal on the DA*55/1.4, and I like the weather-sealing, so I'm giving that a try for now.

Here's a shot I took with my F-mount 90/3.5:



BTW, I would probably find a way to come up with $1500 right now for the 125, IF I could find one available. From a reputable seller in the US.
Thanks for the response Todd, I hope the DA* 55 works out for you. It seems like a fanntastic lens and thanks for posting the photos.

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
I can only say that all Voigtlanders are well worth owning.
And you can always sell them without loosing much.

Check here for some shots with the Lanthar 90, incl. macro:
Voigtländer Lanthar 90/3.5 SLII for Pentax KA
I'm looking to get the SL1 that doesn't have the close-up lens thats why I mentioned using tubes to do the macro work. I just love the colors and bokeh the Voigtlander render and as you said I can't really lose in resale if I so chose. Thanks for the link and commenting.

12-27-2010, 04:09 PM   #5
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 828
I'll echo blende8: all Voigtlanders are worth owning. I have two, including the Lanthar 90, and would dearly love picking up a few more.
01-03-2011, 08:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member
farfisa's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,274
If anybody's interested, I just spotted two of these on eBay from matsuiyastore for $375 & $400:

Voigtlander APO LANTHAR 90mm f/3.5 SL for Pentax Exc+ on eBay.ca (item 380297728672 end time 10-Jan-11 01:00:04 EST)

Voigtlander APO LANTHAR 90mm f/3.5 SL for Pentax Exc+ on eBay.ca (item 160520016307 end time 15-Jan-11 01:00:38 EST)

No hoods (the hood's worth about $70 on its own), but any 49mm hood would do it.
03-23-2012, 05:57 AM   #7
Junior Member
Parliament's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vienna/Austria
Posts: 27
Hi,

i have two questions about the SL1 version, so i hope it's okay if i post here:

I've read in the reviews of the SL1 version that it is not "chipped", but unfortunately i have no idea what this means. From the product pictures, the lens has an "A-position", so i can't figure out what could possibly be wrong with this seemingly wonderful lens.

Also, how improbable would it be to get my hands on a working copy of the SL1 version, as i would prefer it over the SL2 version for its 49mm filter thread?


Alex
03-23-2012, 06:18 AM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,615
QuoteOriginally posted by Parliament Quote
Also, how improbable would it be to get my hands on a working copy of the SL1 version, as i would prefer it over the SL2 version for its 49mm filter thread?
Steve Gandy has a few, see Voigtlander SL Lenses

03-23-2012, 06:47 AM   #9
Junior Member
Parliament's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vienna/Austria
Posts: 27
Thank you!

i've found the answer to my other question in this thread, now i only have to come up with funding
03-23-2012, 07:01 AM   #10
Col
Veteran Member
Col's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Stansted Essex
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 615
QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
I have been contemplating getting this lens and using it for my macro work. I know it only goes to 1:3.5 ratio but I can use tube to get me to 1:1. I currently have the Sigma 70 which is an outstanding lens but it just doesn't have that special effects the Voigtlanders have and build quality and is a little short on focal length. I have heard know but good about the Voigtlander 90/3.5 but that goes the same for the Sigma 70 macro.

I know there will be a variety of opinions and bottom line it is my decision and based on the type of shooting I do. I just miss the 58 1.4 Nokton I used to own which was an outstanding lens and hope to replace it someday also. Wish I could justify $1500 for the Voigt 125 macro but....

Just wanting to vent
I'm no expert, I've only owned my copy of the 90 since 1st March! But it is lovely piece of glass. You are aware the SLII comes with a matched "Close-up" lens to give you 1:1.8

True the K mount version isn't chipped so the is no passing of focal length to the camera body... which is a shame as 90 is not one of the manual input options for SR.
03-23-2012, 08:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member
Abbazz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Myanmar
Posts: 510
QuoteOriginally posted by Parliament Quote
Hi,

i have two questions about the SL1 version, so i hope it's okay if i post here:

I've read in the reviews of the SL1 version that it is not "chipped", but unfortunately i have no idea what this means. From the product pictures, the lens has an "A-position", so i can't figure out what could possibly be wrong with this seemingly wonderful lens.

Also, how improbable would it be to get my hands on a working copy of the SL1 version, as i would prefer it over the SL2 version for its 49mm filter thread?
As stated in the other thread, the SL1 version for Pentax is functionnally equivalent to the SL2 version. Those chips are only being added to the Nikon mount version, in order to allow metering with all Nikon DSLRs.

I have both versions and, personnally, I find the SL1 prettier than the SL2, and I don't consider the close-up lens very useful. But I would still pick the SL2 over the SL1 for two reasons :

- It's a bit more compact and lighter.

- When the sun is near the frame edge, the chrome filter ring of the SL1 is prone to reflecting part of the sun rays inside the lens, leading to very annoying veiling flare. It doesn't happen often at all, but when it happens, it can ruin a picture.

Cheers!

Abbazz
03-23-2012, 09:09 AM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,615
QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
When the sun is near the frame edge, the chrome filter ring of the SL1 is prone to reflecting part of the sun rays inside the lens, leading to very annoying veiling flare.
Wouldn't a hood stop that happening?
03-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #13
Junior Member
Parliament's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vienna/Austria
Posts: 27
QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
[...]

- When the sun is near the frame edge, the chrome filter ring of the SL1 is prone to reflecting part of the sun rays inside the lens, leading to very annoying veiling flare. It doesn't happen often at all, but when it happens, it can ruin a picture.

Cheers!

Abbazz
Thank you for your answer!

I probably wouldn't use a separate lens hood because it would take up too much space in my camera bag. (my camera bag is rationed into DA ltd size lens spaces^^), so maybe the SL2 would be better for me in order to avoid this flare issue.

Maybe i could permanently mount a 52/49mm step-down ring onto the SL2 so i could be happy with this version in terms of filter thread size.

Additionally i've realized that ordering an SL1 version from Stephen Gandy would cost me ~150€ more than the SL2 version from a german seller, but that difference is mainly due to the projected tariffs i'd have to pay... :-/
03-23-2012, 09:35 AM   #14
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,615
QuoteOriginally posted by Parliament Quote
Maybe i could permanently mount a 52/49mm step-down ring onto the SL2 so i could be happy with this version in terms of filter thread size.
You'd need to remove that and restore the Voigtlaender SL2 step-down ring
if you wanted to mount the close-up lens.
But if you're using extension tubes for macro,
this shouldn't be an issue.
03-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #15
Veteran Member
WiseOx's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Whitby (near Toronto), Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 429
I have the SL1 version of this lens, and the flare issue does happen. My solution was to use an old Tak hood I had from a Tak 135mm f3.5. It's long, but it's 49mm and on the APS-C sensor, no vignetting. Look pretty sexy too.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, lens, macro, pentax lens, sigma, slr lens, voigtlander
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 Sl II Apo-Lanthar gokenin Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 28 08-27-2010 08:38 AM
LBA: Voigtlander 180mm f4 Apo Lanthar SL II roentarre Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 10 05-02-2009 07:17 AM
K10D Questions re Voigtlander 90mm APO f3.5 in KA mount dmdctusa Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 10-06-2007 01:30 PM
Voigtlander 125/2.5 APO-Lanthar - my LBA Piotr Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 15 08-11-2007 09:39 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:18 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top