Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member
ve2vfd's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,433
Decisions decisions!!! Low range zoom

Well, it's decision time...

I currently have the Tamron 17-50, but it front focuses too much to use below f4 on my K5 (it was "usable" on my K20 at -10 adjustment). I'll be sending it in to Tamron after the holidays for repair.

I've been wanting to upgrade to DA* glass for a while so I currently have a DA*60-250 on order.

Now, do I:

Keep the Tamron after it's been repaired and get the new DA 18-135 as a "Walk around" lens. I know it's not a DA*, but the weather sealing is a significant reason for wanting a DA*

or

Sell the Tamron after it's been repaired and get a DA*16-50

What do you think?

Pat

12-19-2010, 12:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member
paperbag846's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,396
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Sell the Tamron after it's been repaired and get a DA*16-50
This makes sense, but give it a try before you buy to ensure there are no front-focusing issues with this lens, either.
12-19-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member
ve2vfd's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,433
Original Poster
Paperbag Yep, I fully intend on buying any new lenses somewhere I can test it in hand...

I'm just having the hardest time deciding between keeping my Tamron+getting the da18-135 or going for the DA*16-50...

Pat
12-19-2010, 11:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Taiwan
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,073
Do you use the 50-135 range much? If not then I think the 16-50 is the way to go.

12-20-2010, 07:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member
RBellavance's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Near Montréal, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,716
I think I'd keep the Tamron and add the DA18-135WR. That is, if you really feel you need another lens
12-20-2010, 07:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member
pcarfan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,958
I have the 16-45 (new to me), the FA*28-70/2.8 and planning to get the DA 12-24/4 but I am not entirely sold on this set-up and i am breaking my head to find the ideal combo as well....I also just got the 60-250/4.

I am also looking at a lens that can be used for available light shootimng with F4 and be good at that aperture.

The 16-50's poor edge perfromance is making me think twich about that. I was considering the Tamron 17-50 and the focus issue you report is scaring me somwhat. Once I sort this K-5 Tungsten light focus with the 16-45 I may be happy with it.

fast wide angle zooms are VERY difficult to choose....may be I should look into the Sigma, did you?
12-20-2010, 08:15 AM   #7
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 197
QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
I think I'd keep the Tamron and add the DA18-135WR. That is, if you really feel you need another lens
Same opinion here since your signature shows a 55-300, but you seem to already have a DA*60-250 on order so..

As mentionned last time we spoke, are you sure you don't want to give my DA 12-24mm a try for a week?
Not looking to sell it btw.

Last edited by mlatour; 12-20-2010 at 08:23 AM.
12-20-2010, 08:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member
RBellavance's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Near Montréal, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,716
QuoteOriginally posted by mlatour Quote
As mentionned last time we spoke, are you sure you don't want to give my DA 12-24mm a try for a week?
That's a good point. An ultrawide is missing from Pat's arsenal !

12-20-2010, 12:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member
ve2vfd's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,433
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
Do you use the 50-135 range much? If not then I think the 16-50 is the way to go.
Yup, the lens usually on my camera is my 55-300. Thats why that 18-135 is so tempting.

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
I think I'd keep the Tamron and add the DA18-135WR. That is, if you really feel you need another lens
You know we always "need" another lens! Part of my reasoning for the 18-135 is that the tamron is already giving me most of what the DA*16-50 has to offer.

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
I have the 16-45 (new to me), the FA*28-70/2.8 and planning to get the DA 12-24/4 but I am not entirely sold on this set-up and i am breaking my head to find the ideal combo as well....I also just got the 60-250/4.

I am also looking at a lens that can be used for available light shootimng with F4 and be good at that aperture.

The 16-50's poor edge perfromance is making me think twich about that. I was considering the Tamron 17-50 and the focus issue you report is scaring me somwhat. Once I sort this K-5 Tungsten light focus with the 16-45 I may be happy with it.

fast wide angle zooms are VERY difficult to choose....may be I should look into the Sigma, did you?
So how do you like that new 60-250? 12-24, 16-45 and 28-70 does seem to overlap a bit.

From many pics I've seen here, the tamron 17-50 can be a formidable lens if you get a good copy. Sadly a quick google search confirmed that many people get front or back focusing models. The Sigma is a bit too new, i'd give it a bit of time before considering it.

QuoteOriginally posted by mlatour Quote
Same opinion here since your signature shows a 55-300, but you seem to already have a DA*60-250 on order so..

As mentionned last time we spoke, are you sure you don't want to give my DA 12-24mm a try for a week?Not looking to sell it btw.
I find I shoot mostly in the 100-250 range which is why I wanted the best possible quality zoom in that range (the DA*60-250). I'm afraid a lens as wide as 12mm is something I'll probably never have much of a use for. Even with my 17-50 I am usually at the 50mm end.

I will on the other hand get the DA10-17 one of these days for it's cool fish-eye distortion.

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
That's a good point. An ultrawide is missing from Pat's arsenal !
Would the DA10-17 count? It's on my list!
12-20-2010, 01:01 PM   #10
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,679
The Tamron 17-50 and 18-135 WR are very different lenses, so it'd make more sense to have both (if your WR lens doesn't need to be fast), or just replace the Tamron with the DA* 16-50 if you don't need a longer WR lens (since you'll be getting the 60-250, you've got yourself a versatile DA* setup).

12-24 (if you want the wide landscape ability), DA* 16-50, 60-250 and 300 is an unrivalled zoom kit IMO. Then adding the 10-17 is just icing on the cake.
12-20-2010, 04:29 PM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 299
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Sell the Tamron after it's been repaired and get a DA*16-50
i think its a wise choice ... you will not regret it ..
for long range your 55-300 its enough ... i heard theres lot of trouble with SDM in 50-135... im not sure either... i dont have this lens ..
12-20-2010, 04:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Taiwan
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,073
If you're using the short telephoto range a lot then I would recommend 18-135. The whole point of a zoom is not having to change lenses and I'm guessing that there are a lot of times that 55mm is too long (the same as your new 60-250) which inevitably leads to a lot of lens changes.

But there are tradeoffs because 18-135 isn't fast at the telephoto end. You could instead get the 16-50 and later get the 70/77mm as your telephoto. Or get one of the relatively fast 85/100/105mm legacy lenses. It would require a lens change but it would be significantly smaller than the 60-250.
12-20-2010, 05:50 PM   #13
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 764
I have the 16-50 and opted for the 55-300 after I rented the 60-250 for two weeks. The 60-250 is a very nice lens but it is rather large and as I already had the 50-135 for low light indoor stuff, I decided to go with the 55-300 since I generally use the longer end of it outdoors and do not necessairly require the speed or the bulk of the 60-250.

The 16-50 and the 55-300 make a good traveling pair.
12-23-2010, 12:47 PM   #14
Veteran Member
ve2vfd's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,433
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
just replace the Tamron with the DA* 16-50 if you don't need a longer WR lens (since you'll be getting the 60-250, you've got yourself a versatile DA* setup).
Yup, I'm leaning more and more towards the DA*16-50... but I'll wait until my 17-50 is repaired before I make a final decision.

QuoteOriginally posted by ewig Quote
for long range your 55-300 its enough ... i heard theres lot of trouble with SDM in 50-135...
I like the 55-300, but I want the better quality and weather sealing of the 60-250.

QuoteOriginally posted by abacus07 Quote
If you're using the short telephoto range a lot then I would recommend 18-135.
I've been very tempted with the 18-135 for it's very versatile range as a "walk around" lens. The one thing that scares me is it's slow speed.

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryH Quote
I have the 16-50 and opted for the 55-300 after I rented the 60-250 for two weeks. The 60-250 is a very nice lens but it is rather large
I have to admit I am not too worried about the weight of the 60-250, I'm not a small dude What did you think of the image quality and f4 at the far end of the 60-250? I find myself using my 55-300 in the 200-300mm range a lot which forces me to use pretty high ISO.

Pat
02-02-2011, 03:37 PM   #15
Veteran Member
ve2vfd's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,433
Original Poster
UPDATE!

Thanks to everyone who advised me in this thread, here is what I did...


Bought the DA*60-250 (2yr Pentax Canada warranty)
Just ordered the DA*16-50 (comes with 2yr Pentax Canada warranty + 7yr MACK warranty so SDM issues should be )

I'll have the Tamron 17-50 repaired and keep it as backup

Next lens: DA10-17mm... a fish-eye just for fun!

Pat
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
da*, k-mount, pentax lens, slr lens, tamron
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Decisions, Decisions DA15mm or DA40mm Colorado CJ Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 23 11-22-2010 06:32 PM
Coming back to Pentax....decisions, decisions jgmankos Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 04-20-2010 08:05 PM
Decisions decisions! PeterPP Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 19 05-28-2009 09:57 PM
Decisions, decisions, decisions..... Mallee Boy Post Your Photos! 10 04-22-2009 07:55 PM
Decisions, decisions...... oh, the decisions...! Derridale Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 04-30-2008 05:02 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:40 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top