Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2010, 06:00 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
More lenses than space in bag

So, now I've come to a situation, where I have more lenses than space in my bag(s). The stuff I have:
K-7, grip, DA 12-24, DA 35 Ltd., FA 50, DFA 100 WR, DA*60-250, Flash AF540
+ filters, spare batteries, lens pen, etc...
I also have old F80-200 if something small and light is a must.

And my bags are:
Kata 467 back bag, Kata 453 shoulder bag

The back bag can still hold everything (barely), but for the shoulder bag I need to select different set of lenses for different occasions.
So, what would be your choice of lenses & stuff for a street walk?
How about for a holiday trip that includes both indoor and outdoor situations?

(the shoulder bag can hold for example: K-7, DA12-24, DA35Ltd, FA50 and the flash + some small items).

12-19-2010, 06:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You're coming at this from the completely wrong angle
You need another bag, how about the Lowepro Slingshot 350? You would be able to fit all of the above with ease.
If you must persist with the current bags then...
Street walk? 12-24 has its fans for this, try going out with just the 35 and see how you get on.
Holiday trip?, 12-24, 50 and 60-250, heavy and bulky though and valuable but a great range, my personal holiday setup is the 16-45, 55-300 and fast fifty, a lot cheaper, lighter and less valuable.
12-19-2010, 06:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You need a bigger bag and/or smaller lenses. I walk many streets carrying a DA18-250, Zen 16/2.8, Viv 24/2, F35-70, FA50/1.4, Nik 85/2, and Raynox 250. And a Lens-Of-The-Day. (That 16/2.8 may be supplanted by a Tam 10-24 in a few days...)

Seriously, you have a great lens kit, if a bit heavy. I fit my gear into an Ameribag sling bag which doesn't look like a camera bag and is easily defensible, handy for murky urban environments. What I have, works for me in most situations. What you carry depends on what works for you. Good luck!
12-19-2010, 07:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reytor Quote
So, now I've come to a situation, where I have more lenses than space in my bag(s). The stuff I have:
K-7, grip, DA 12-24, DA 35 Ltd., FA 50, DFA 100 WR, DA*60-250, Flash AF540
+ filters, spare batteries, lens pen, etc...
I also have old F80-200 if something small and light is a must.

And my bags are:

The back bag can still hold everything (barely), but for the shoulder bag I need to select different set of lenses for different occasions.
So, what would be your choice of lenses & stuff for a street walk?
How about for a holiday trip that includes both indoor and outdoor situations?

(the shoulder bag can hold for example: K-7, DA12-24, DA35Ltd, FA50 and the flash + some small items).
Here is a secret: You don't need to bring all gear all the time.
My mostly used bags are usually empty (besides some basic lens cleaning supply and such). When I go somewhere, I pick a bag, then select what to bring and pack it. Back home I unpack.

12-19-2010, 07:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I've outgrown two bags and one backpack. I find the best way to carry everything comfortably and securely is with a backpack. Lowpro and Tenba make very good ones. I just bought a Tenba medium Shootout, which is large enough for two camera systems and a bunch of lenses and is so well constructed and padded, I think I could let it rool down the stairs without the slightest damage to contents. Even though the whole thing, with tripod attached must weigh 40 pounds, the sholder and belly straps make it so comfortable, I can hike miles with it through rugged terrain--and I'm in my 60s.
12-19-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Multiple bags and LBA go hand in hand

cheers

Neil
12-19-2010, 08:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
but for the shoulder bag I need to select different set of lenses for different occasions.
Why is that a problem? Different situations require different equipment.

Learn to pack appropriately for what you are shooting and you won't need to carry all of your gear all the time.
12-19-2010, 08:38 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Here is a secret: You don't need to bring all gear all the time.
Bingo! Part of the fun is selecting the lenses.

12-19-2010, 09:58 PM   #9

And my bags are:
Excellent bag choice. I love Kata bags. I personally own a 3n1-10 but now need something for when I can't leave anything at home.

Amazon.com: Kata Bumblebee PL-220 Backpack (Black): Electronics

The Kata Bumblebee 220. I'm going to pick this up sometime after Christmas. Enough space to hold all the gear you mentioned and claims to be 40% lighter than the competition.
12-19-2010, 10:07 PM   #10
Forum Member

Be sure to check out the CaseLogic SLRC-206 backpack. I was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of this bag; lots of room for my lenses, very adjustable and comfortable.

Amazon.com: Caselogic SLRC-206 SLR Camera and 15.4-Inch Laptop Backpack (Black): Camera & Photo
12-19-2010, 10:29 PM   #11
Site Supporter

When I shot Nikon, I had eleven Nikkors, and I don't think I ever took them all out at the same time.

Now that I shoot Pentax, I still do what I always did before: figure out which lens to stick on the body, and which other two or three I might be likely to use. Often I wind up using just one or two.

I think a backpack would be a good idea if you want to put all your eggs in one basket, but you could also limit yourself to two to four lenses and be just as happy.

If I were going out on the street with your kit, I might want to take the DA 12-24 and the FA50. Either one seems fine to me for a single-lens outing.

A holiday trip kit for me would depend on the destination. (Since I'd drive and not fly, a good tripod would be involved, too, I'm sure!)

I think you'll feel better if you get a bigger bag that holds it all, but I wouldn't get rid of your current bags. And you might be surprised at how far just one or two lenses will take you. (I say that even though I don't shoot zooms. . . .)

Good luck finding a new bag or backpack!

Nath
12-20-2010, 06:55 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks for your responses.

I have no intension to buy a new bag for now, but I have been struggling to choose a lens set for the lighter shoulder bag. Maybe when I decide to pull the trigger for K-5 and if I keep K-7 as back-up body, I'd be thinking of getting new backbag.
I purchased the shoulder bag with an idea of a light city holiday, street walking or concert bag, but I have found myself packing too much stuff in it. So the idea of only getting one (or two) lenses with me and live with it sounds reasonable choice. I just have to figure out which ones in different cases and to pack the flash or not.
12-20-2010, 07:13 AM   #13
Pentaxian

there is no need to carry all your gear every time.

I have multiple bags, which are situational. Take what you need for the trip to a base camp, and then on short day trips take only the daily needs in smaller bags
12-20-2010, 07:14 AM   #14
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by grey goat Quote

Figure out which lens to stick on the body, and which other two or three I might be likely to use. Often I wind up using just one or two.
Same here.
12-20-2010, 07:43 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I have a Lowepro All Weather Nature Trekker II. I use that bag when I need to bring most of my equipment with me. In it, I carry a Pentax K20D with grip, a Pentax K7 with grip, DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, DA 12-24, DA 14, FA 31, FA 43, FA 77, Sigma 70-300 and two Sigma EF530DG Super. The front compartment carries the batteries chargers, cleaning kit, and extra SD cards. There is also a secondary bag that attaches to this bag to carry extra items, but it gets to bulky for me when I use it.