Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2010, 05:18 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Just got notice that Amazon has shipped my lens. Should have it on the 29th. Looking forward to its arrival! (Schraubstock, those are nice pictures)

Last edited by seachunk2; 12-23-2010 at 12:02 AM.
12-23-2010, 01:00 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Schraubstock: I'd love to know why Tamron stopped making this lens, it's truly a magnificent piece of gear and it would sell very well in today's market. I started using it on my K10, K20 and now K7 and I can't wait to stick it on the K5 as soon as I an get hold of one. I have accumulated some 9 lenses over the years but this one is always on my camera. I hope yours will be as spot on as mine is.
GreetingsP.S. Couple more photos to show you what this lens can do. Just did some level adjustment, no sharpening and a bit of contrast.
Thank you, so much, for the welcome as well as for the pics.

My understanding is the lens released for Full Frame, before Crop Sensors took off. On FF, 24-135mm is darn near perfect range and the lens (then about $500) delivered the goods for surprisingly little money. With the Crop Sensor explosion, the focal length was no longer as appealing of course, and Tamron already had the excellent 28-75mm 2.8 anyway. So they built the Tamron 17-50mm.

Anyway, I just bought the lens, brand new, for less money than a good polarizer costs--it comes with a hood & pouch. If I find the IQ does not sacrifice much to my 17-50mm--28-75mm hiking duet, then it will be a perfect, inexpensive lens to drag up and down the hills of the Eastern US--on top of that, it wil provide so much more range than I'm used to, at the cost of speed of course. However, I can sacrifice the speed while hiking, if the lens delivers the IQ--and I can't see why it will not. The lens excels @ f8, where most of my landscapes would be anyway

Your shots look great! And there are very many FF users who swear by the lens. BTW, thanks for the perseverance you have displayed in getting those great shots uploaded.
12-24-2010, 12:35 PM   #18

Original Poster
Well, Santa's helper (ie. USPS) has arrived sooner than expected with the 24-135. WOW!!! This lens is a tank. Very impressed with the build quality and even the leather pouch. I also have the 10-24mm Tamron & this lens seems a lot more solid (not that I'm saying the 10-24 isn't, just that this one is in the next league, IMO). I've already shot a half dozen pictures and I'm pleased. Going to get ready for the family Christmas Eve get together and this lens will be nearby and mounted on the K7 all set to go.
Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas!!!!
08-31-2011, 01:33 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Can't wait to get mine

Just bought one New for $200 off Ebay! A store in Minnesota was clearing out 4 of them. All gone now.
I am sure I will enjoy it. I actually consider this a good pairing with the Pentax 16-45. the Tamron for out-doors walk-a-round, the Pentax when you need a wider range. Next is a 10-24 or 10-20.

08-31-2011, 04:41 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeverettfine Quote
Just bought one New for $200 off Ebay! A store in Minnesota was clearing out 4 of them. All gone now.
I am sure I will enjoy it. I actually consider this a good pairing with the Pentax 16-45. the Tamron for out-doors walk-a-round, the Pentax when you need a wider range. Next is a 10-24 or 10-20.
Hi
Congrats on your new arrival ! This lens is the one I have constantly on one of my K-5s it is a fantastic allround performer. It has a wee bit of chromatic aberration in the corners in extreme contrast conditions but is easily fixed in PP, often it is so little I don't bother. And I also found out the front glass is easily dismantled if you find a bit of dust there and want to remove it. Done it now several times. Enjoy and post us some pics. (get the Sigma 10-20, I have it also, it is good)

Greetings
09-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I know I am going to enjoy putting my new 24-135 through its paces. I'll report back with my opinions soon. The biggest complaint I have read about is poor AF performance. That doesn't bother me much as I seem to be in manual more than half the time. I'm going to be very interested in comparing it to the Pentax 16-45 and seeing if my guess about them being a nice pairing is correct. I have already found that 45 is too short in many situations such as some pond shots I was doing just today, though 24 will be too long in other situations.
I agree the Sigma 10-20 may be the best choice in a superwide zoom. If you are going to do it you should go all the way down to 10, but I may have a Tamron 10-24 available for around $350 soon. That kind of price may decide things. I can't justify spending the money on a Pentax 12-24. If I get a 10-24, I wonder if I might end up selling the 16-45. We'll see. It is always nice to have lots of choices available in lenses. My Leica rangefinder kit satisfies my need to shoot primes.

Last edited by jeverettfine; 09-01-2011 at 01:33 PM. Reason: spelling grammar and additional comment
09-01-2011, 10:42 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeverettfine Quote
The biggest complaint I have read about is poor AF performance
Not true.
Autofocus quality does depend a lot on the quality of the camera. A lens which is slow on one camera can be fast on another. On my K-5 the Tammy is as fast as any other lens I own.
Greetings
09-02-2011, 07:36 AM   #23
Veteran Member

auto focus

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Not true.
Autofocus quality does depend a lot on the quality of the camera. A lens which is slow on one camera can be fast on another. On my K-5 the Tammy is as fast as any other lens I own.
Greetings
Good to know. I was thinking it might be a technique problem, not a camera problem. I remember when autofocus cameras first came out everyone remarked on how the camera could focus faster and more accurately than you could manually. Of course, there is the hyper-focal distance technique I use with Leica rangefinder (why don't all modern lenses have depth of field scales on the barrel?)

09-07-2011, 07:50 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Got my new 24-135 yestereday. First impressions are good and first images look good. Not a light weight lens, perhaps twice the weight of my Pentax 16-45, but that is actually a plus for me. I find a heavier outfit to be much easier to hand hold succesfully. Last night, I was able to make a perfectly acceptable image hand held with my K20 at 1/4 sec. zoomed to 85mm (camera shake on of course). Of course I come from a view camera background and weight has never been a problem.
The autofocus seems quite acceptable and the build quality equally good. Here are a couple of samples.
09-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #25
Site Supporter

Yeah, this was my walk around lens on my Canon Rebel XT (350D), and I never regretted buying it. It's only weakness is speed, which isn't usually a problem for outdoor shots. I've been tempted to get a Pentax mount version just because I like its utility as a high quality optics single lens solution when you are outdoors. Maybe I should try to find one while there are still some left.
09-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Sure can't beat it for the $200 I spent: new in the box with warranty.

I have some pics up on flickr here: Flickr: Capt. E's Photostream

The ones of the books, the fence and the street scenes.
09-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I, too, bagged one of those $200 close-out bargains and I'm very pleased that I did. This is my second copy of this lens and this one is significantly sharper than the first and completely suitable for my purposes.

I was concerned that the 24-135 would eliminate the need for the 28-75 which I really like, but side-by-side comparison shots leaves me feeling there's a place for both lenses. The 28-75 is just very slightly sharper and more consistent across the FL range as might be expected based on the 2.7:1 vs. the 5.6:1 zoom ratios.

But rendering is noticeably different too, IMO. The 24-135/F4-5.6 seems best suited to locomotives, architecture and abandoned warehouses, sort of "industrial", whereas the 28-75/F2.8 seems more at home with nature and portraiture subjects - and low light situations - within the context of my uses.

The Tamron 10-24 plus the 24-135 may be a very satisfactory, and economical, alternative to the DA 12-24 plus DA*50-135 pair for many people. With a little patience and bargain shopping I've got less than $765 tied up in three Tamron SP AF lenses covering 10 - 135mm. It would be gratifying to have the Pentax pair but I doubt I'd see a significant difference in my results comparable to the hit in the bank account.

H2

(I'd note that carrying out the 'cheap-smack' theme, I cover the 90 - 180 - (80~200) - 300mm range with Tamron SP Adaptall's as well and rarely feel a twinge of LBA or a real need for the much more expensive Pentax AF lenses. An M 50/F1.4 serves the occasional "I feel the need for speed moments".)

SP AF 24-135 + K200D

Last edited by pacerr; 09-07-2011 at 05:01 PM.
09-08-2011, 12:45 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I am quickly coming to the conclusion that the Tamron 24-135 is an excellent leave the bag behind walking around lens. So far I find 24 to be wide enough and the 135 about as long as I generally need (I have never done much long telephoto work). The only thing would be have a small pockable prime like the 15 limited.

Last edited by jeverettfine; 09-08-2011 at 01:04 PM. Reason: grammar and correction
09-09-2011, 02:48 PM   #29
Veteran Member

National Camera Exchange has two used Tamron 24-135's for sale right now: one priced at $99.99 the other $129.99.