Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2010, 10:50 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
The moon looks incredible! Pardon my ignorance, but did you do some Post-processing (other than cropping)? Why does the color change from blue to red? I know there was a lunar eclipse on 12/21, but I thought that the moon turned reddish. In your photo I see part of the moon color blue and even green. Are my eyes playing tricks on me???

The Hawk is amazing. Maybe it thought you were its prey… it’s looking straight at you!

Dave, I think you should consider posting these photos and your comments in the “lens review” section…

12-24-2010, 11:10 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice - esp like the hawk shot!

Paul
12-24-2010, 11:42 AM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IMartinez Quote
The moon looks incredible! Pardon my ignorance, but did you do some Post-processing (other than cropping)? Why does the color change from blue to red? I know there was a lunar eclipse on 12/21, but I thought that the moon turned reddish. In your photo I see part of the moon color blue and even green. Are my eyes playing tricks on me???
Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain

It's a rainbow
12-25-2010, 04:08 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Shooting with a 500mm Takumar

It looks like I'm a little late to this thread, but in a effort to give some useful advice about this lens for future searchers, here goes:

The price of 75 dollars mentioned by the OP is great for him, but it should be considered as official theft. Expect a lens like this to sell in excess of 400 dollars if in good condition.

First, Be aware that you don't go shooting with this lens. It takes YOU shooting. By that I mean this lens isn't something you toss in your gear bag because maybe you'll use it.... you plan on using this because of some shoot you had in mind. It is big and heavy and takes over your shoot and the way you approach your subject. Yes, it's that big a lens.

2. The lens comes with a removable screwmount section. This serves two uses... it allows you to drop in a filter there (I want to say it's a 52mm, but I'm not sure anymore) and it allows you to mount the screwmount section to your camera without having to deal with the entire 500mm lens. The method of fastening the mounting section back to the rest of the lens is a bayonet with collar assembly. It works great and allows the camera to dangle from the rear of the lens.

3. It is possible to shoot handheld with this lens, but you have to be a body builder to do it a great deal. It is a long lens, meaning it works basically like an old telescope ... it uses the distance between the optics instead of lots of elements to bend and collect the light. This long lens design means that this lens is indeed lighter than you might expect. It's still heavy, but lighter than it looks.

4. It is manual everything, of course. My favored technique for using this was to set the lens wide open, and then count the clicks to the f stop of choice. Then I would return to wide open, look through the finder and find critical focus. Once in critical, I would count the number of clicks back to my fstop while not taking my eye from the viewfinder. Then I would check composition one last time and then fire away.

5. Dial in as high an fstop number as you can allow. This gives you some focal leeway if you have a subject on the move or you didn't quite hit critical. The trade off is you'll be looking at it through a dim viewfinder (see 4 above).

6. Use the built in hood as much as possible. This lens will reproduce colors in line with the very best Takumars, and quality only improves with the shade extended. It also adds about 5 inches to the front of this beast, so people will get out of your way and you can move to the front of the crowd.

I enjoyed my Tele-Takumar 500mm f4.5 during the time I owned it. I sold recently to fund a DA* purchase. Great fun, a great lens.

Hope this helps.

germar

12-25-2010, 05:44 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well done, germar.