Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-19-2010, 07:44 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
super takumar 500mm f/4.5?

anybody have any experience and or samples from the super takumar 500mm f/4.5? i am picking one up tomorrow in great condition for 75 buckaroos. would love to know more about it. i know thats a steal, but any feedback would be great. thanks! david

12-19-2010, 07:59 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's not a steal. That's a well..... I can't think of what it is........

How come those deals never come to me?

Here's the link to lens database. Please post some photos after you get it. I am officially jealous.
12-19-2010, 09:39 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by daverowe Quote
anybody have any experience and or samples from the super takumar 500mm f/4.5? i am picking one up tomorrow in great condition for 75 buckaroos. would love to know more about it. i know thats a steal, but any feedback would be great. thanks! david
There is one hereabouts for Aus$850 (about 10x plus your price).
12-20-2010, 10:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I hate to see someone screwed like this. Tell you what, since it's Christmas and all, send it to me and I'll give you $150 for it...

12-20-2010, 10:56 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I hate to see someone screwed like this. Tell you what, since it's Christmas and all, send it to me and I'll give you $150 for it...
Hysterical
12-20-2010, 11:35 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had one but it was too short (I sold it and bought a K 1000mn f8 ;~)

It took a while (and a seriously sturdy tripod) to get good images with it but that was my learning curve. By all means, grab it!
12-20-2010, 02:04 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I know of one currently going for 650GBP, in good (but not excellent) condition. IŽd love to have a lens that long.

12-20-2010, 02:08 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

if you ever decide you don't want it I'll buy it for 100% profit

where did you ever get a price like that?
12-20-2010, 02:36 PM   #9

Seriously, I think we Pentaxians need to share our knowledge especially regarding places to shop for great used gear and bargains like that one. I’ve just checked and eBay has the 500mm f4.5 for $700 USD + shipping from South Africa… Congratulations David!

I’ve bought used lenses at eBay, and I think I’ve been lucky. What other places do you recommend to look for good Pentax glass? I’ve also looked here in the marketplace, and was interested in a lens, but when I contacted the seller, he’d already sold it. In fact, that’s why I became a member. I’ve been lurking this site a lot, but maybe I’ll start posting and buying in the marketplace.

Please help a fellow (beginner) Pentaxian get nice glass without spending a fortune.
12-20-2010, 03:09 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IMartinez Quote
Seriously, I think we Pentaxians need to share our knowledge especially regarding places to shop for great used gear and bargains like that one. I’ve just checked and eBay has the 500mm f4.5 for $700 USD + shipping from South Africa… Congratulations David!

I’ve bought used lenses at eBay, and I think I’ve been lucky. What other places do you recommend to look for good Pentax glass? I’ve also looked here in the marketplace, and was interested in a lens, but when I contacted the seller, he’d already sold it. In fact, that’s why I became a member. I’ve been lurking this site a lot, but maybe I’ll start posting and buying in the marketplace.

Please help a fellow (beginner) Pentaxian get nice glass without spending a fortune.
1. Garage/Estate sales
2. Local Craigslist
3. Pawn shops/thrift stores
4. Grandpa's dusty old basement or attic

Of course, there is a risk involved in purchasing from places like these if you're not sure what you're doing (like me at first). There's a sticky around here somewhere about what to look for when buying used lenses - worthwhile reading!

edit: here's the sticky I mentioned above: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/59245-pawnshop-lense...ers-guide.html

Congrats to the op - heck of a deal!

Paul

Last edited by paulh; 12-22-2010 at 08:40 AM.
12-20-2010, 04:29 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

You got a great deal! I had the pentax version for a while and its pretty good especially on a lower MP body. Be careful the big nut is tight holding the bayonette assembly in the rear (for using filters) or it could turn out and drop your camera. Here are a couple pics:

12-20-2010, 05:53 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
Be careful the big nut is tight holding the bayonette assembly in the rear (for using filters) or it could turn out and drop your camera.
Yes, good advice! Also, with a bit of of aluminum foil, I got the AF 1.7x TC to work with it.
12-20-2010, 11:21 PM   #13

Original Poster
dear fellow friends...i dont know if i should tell you this...but when i arrived at the the guys house to pick up the lens...he showed me other beauties...for 175 dollars... i picked up the 500mm...along with a 35mm 3.5 tak and a 70-150mm 4 tak...all in PERFECT condition. i appologise if this makes you sick...lol. but i was just exstatic! i will post photos from the 500 sometime soon. my poor k10d needs to be sent in to be fixed :/ but i'll throw it on my 5d and take some shots. in regards to places to search for these gems...PAULH is spot on. craigslist is key. garage sales can be amaaaaazing. and pawn shots too, but they usually have an idea of what they have. the beauty (for the new owner) of craigslist and garage sales, is that the owners usually have no idea what their "junk" is worth. its usually just a mom or dad trying to get a buck from their mom or dads old metal lenses. that being said...go out and get those beauties!!! hope that helps fellow pentaxians.
12-21-2010, 12:01 AM   #14

Wow! Great deal!!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by daverowe Quote
i appologise if this makes you sick...
I doesn't make us sick... at least not me
It gives me hope. I want good glass and knowing about this type of deals motivates me to keep looking.

Thanks Paul and Dave for your tips. The Pawn shops here in Mexico usually don’t have good SLR gear, and when they do it’s usually Canikon… Garage sales are not common here. However, I hadn’t considered Craiglist. I have family living in Texas, Arizona and Michigan. If I see something interesting on Craiglist, I could have them ship them to me.

I’ll be visiting my brother in Michigan next week. I will try to go to all pawn shops, thrift stores and garage sales! If I buy something interesting, I’ll let you know.

Tom, your photos are amazing. I bet you have a lot of fun using this lens!

Dave, I’m looking forward to seeing your photos of the 500mm. Again, congrats!
12-23-2010, 08:02 PM   #15

Original Poster
Takumar 500mm f/4.5 shots

here are two i just took last night and today. see what you think both were with my k10d. i think the moon was shot at f/22 and the hawk at f/11 both cropped.

thanks for looking many more to come!