Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2010, 12:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Super Takumar 200mm f4

Just wondering if this lens is a good buy for $90? I have not seen the lens at all, so I'm assuming it's in very good shape. The lens database rates this lens quite well, but I'm not sure if $90 is the right price for this.

Also, how well is this going to work with a K-r. Manual focus will be something new for me, but could be fun.

12-20-2010, 01:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Price is a bit steep in my opinion; I paid less for the 300/4 version. If you get it, make sure it's complete with the original lenshood and caps for that price.

Remember that you need a M42-to-Kmount adaptor.
12-20-2010, 08:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I paid US$37 (shipped) for mine a couple years ago. Ninety bucks seems high; but you can view COMPLETED LISTINGS on eBay to check the current reality.

As mentioned, you'll need an M42-PK adapter. Your best choices are an Official Pentax for general shooting, and/or a safe cheap flanged non-infinity-focus for closer work. The Official adapter mounts in your camera, then you screw the lens in. The flanged adapter screws onto the lens, then you mount it on the camera. You lose infinity focus with such an adapter but you can shoot closer, down to about 1.5m, while far-focus drops to about 75m.

You can use Catch-In-Focus with either type of adapter on that lens. With the Official adapter you can put a snip of metal tape on the lens base to safely short-out the contacts on the camera mount. With a flanged adapter, if it's shiny metal it's set to go; if it's painted, just file or sandpaper some paint off to safely short-out the contacts. Do NOT use the metal-tape trick on the flanged adapter, which will likely get stuck on the camera mount if you do.

And that's more than you need to know now. I still think US$90 is too high.
12-20-2010, 08:45 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
$92 is too high. You could an SMC Tak 200 for $59 at keh.com

12-20-2010, 11:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the information guys. The lens is at a dealer, so I'm sure I can talk the price down. It's not like everyone in the world is looking for these lenses. I think I might set my priorities on talking them down from $750 on a DA* 200 f2.8
12-20-2010, 12:14 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
Hello. I bought my 200mm f4 super takumar last summer. Price paid: $37 + $11 shipping... $90 seems like a lot…

About the M42 to K adapter...
What I did was buy a third-party flangeless adapter, so no problem with infinity focus. To see difference look at link: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/accessory-memory-articles/87287-right-typ...t-adaptor.html

These things are SO cheap, that I bought one for each of my M42 primes. What you do is remove the little screw and spring that comes with the adapter and keep it on the lenses all the time. Now I have all my M42 lenses ready to be used just like a K mount lens. I’ve even read that you can even put a drop of loctite (or superglue) between the adapter and the lens (NOT THE CAMERA). I personally haven’t glued anything, and haven’t had problems so far. I have no trouble using and removing my M42 + cheap adapter lenses just as ordinary K mount lenses.

However, some people prefer the original. I guess it’s just a matter of personal preference. To see a discussion: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/112500-m4...-adapters.html
Hope this helps…
12-20-2010, 03:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IMartinez Quote
What I did was buy a third-party flangeless adapter, so no problem with infinity focus...
These things are SO cheap, that I bought one for each of my M42 primes.
And that is my approach also, although with 80 screwmount (M42 and M39) lenses, I will NOT buy an adapter for each one! One dozen flanged and three dozen flangeless are enough for me.

I heartily recommend third-party flangeless Bower-type adapters, suitably neutered. And for those of us with many screwmount lenses, they are most rational. BUT the OP said they are new to manual focus. So I suggested the two safe options, as being better for newcomers. Once the OP has accumulated a dozen M42's, they will BEG for a batch of Bowers!