Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2010, 08:39 PM   #46
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Didn't know the 60-250 was $2k up in Canada.
The 60-250 can be had in Canada for $1300 at Prodigital2000.

12-22-2010, 09:13 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
The 60-250 can be had in Canada for $1300 at Prodigital2000.
That sounds more reasonable. I was just going by what the OP said
12-23-2010, 06:52 AM   #48
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
It is a compromise between IQ and weather proofing IMO. There is no point in pixel peeping something shot in a blizzard. What matters in that situation is that the lens/rest of the gear survives, to be used the next time. So far Pentax has done well in that department.
Pixel peeping in the pouring rain is also not all that important. My shots in bad weather have been with one of my copies of the kit lens and they did fine. My philosophy was that the lens was disposable. (Replacement cost is 1/15 that of the DA*)

For example, the water running off my hat in this shot taken with a K10d+18-55 does not exactly contribute to a proper lens test. Everyone and everything survived.

12-23-2010, 07:09 AM   #49
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
(Replacement cost is 1/15 that of the DA*)
That is one way to look at it . Just have to keep stuff from getting in the body.

12-23-2010, 12:52 PM   #50
Site Supporter

Uh-oh. There is a flaw in my system (and my memory from two years ago). EXIF says that shot was taken with the DA40. I would not consider that one disposable, but it survived and still takes more than its share of my photos.
12-30-2010, 02:36 PM   #51
Banned

For the record, my failed DA* 50-135mm which was repaired by CRIS 2 weeks ago has failed AGAIN! This time the focus mechanism was stuck at close focus, and I couldn't even focus manually (the motor was jammed). Complete garbage. Anyone who buys this lens after being warned about it (this includes myself) deserves everything that happens as a result. I was stupid enough to listen to the apologists, and now I've wasted my money on a worthless piece of trash. In my opinion, those apologists have lost all credibility for supporting this lens based on their narrow experience all while ignoring the facts publicized all over the web.

"MINE works fine, therefore ALL the complainers are wrong!" Whatever...

Garbage, garbage, garbage!
12-30-2010, 10:40 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hound Tooth Quote
For the record, my failed DA* 50-135mm which was repaired by CRIS 2 weeks ago has failed AGAIN! This time the focus mechanism was stuck at close focus, and I couldn't even focus manually (the motor was jammed). Complete garbage. Anyone who buys this lens after being warned about it (this includes myself) deserves everything that happens as a result. I was stupid enough to listen to the apologists, and now I've wasted my money on a worthless piece of trash. In my opinion, those apologists have lost all credibility for supporting this lens based on their narrow experience all while ignoring the facts publicized all over the web.

Brutal.
12-30-2010, 11:23 PM   #53
JHD
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hound Tooth Quote

Another reminder... and it doesn't look like this issue will ever end. Sad, really sad.

Since it failed again so soon after repairs, they should take care of it at no cost to you, but talk about wretched quality control.

12-31-2010, 12:24 AM   #54
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Optically the 50-135 is a nice lens, but it is a liability with a short warranty. The Tamron 70-200 f2.8 is almost $200 cheaper here in Canada with a much longer warranty.
I have actually experienced SDM failure on my DA*50-135, so Hound Tooth I can relate. But, I have also had my DA*50-135 save the day when my Tamron 70-200/2.8 started having problems! Always carry a back-up, especially if you're working on a critical shoot. FWIW, even despite my 50-135 needing repair, it has been and still is one of my favorite lenses.
01-01-2011, 12:12 AM   #55
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
Always carry a back-up, especially if you're working on a critical shoot.
That seems to be a common recommendation, "carry a backup". If only it were that easy... it took me months to save up for the DA* 50-135mm. At the time, it swallowed up all my savings. I was counting on the fact that the DA* lineup is Pentax's top-of-the-line, which implies professional-level gear I can depend on. That's what all the apologists said, too.

The really ironic thing is, this lens has a built-in fail-safe for precisely this problem. Imagine a lens which has not only one, but TWO auto-focus mechanisms! A professional photographer's dream! If one fails, the other remains available to bail him/her out at a critical time! It's a fantastic pro feature! Except... we're forbidden from doing that. Pentax refuses to let us use the screw-drive auto-focus on modern bodies.

It boggles the mind...