Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2010, 02:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Where to purchase Tamron lens (17-50 for K-x)...

Looking for a Tammy 17-50 f/2.8 for my K-x. Scarce to find used, plus the caveats of finding a good copy. My question (LOL, and I kinda suspect my answer)

B&H has it for $459 or so w/ a $40 rebate, $419 total. reputable dealer, US warranty, etc

IF i were to purchase from a Canadian vendor (Prodigital 2000, an eBay seller w/ 99.6 rating on over 95Kplus transactions), would that pose an issue? e.g., this price would be $369 shipped, saving $50. Note, it's listed as including the 6 year standard Tamron (Canadian) warranty plus 7 yr Mack warranty. I'm not even paying mind to the third party Mack, just looking at the Tammy Canadian warranty. Is this "apples to apples" as compared with a US vendor-purchased warranty- i.e., in off chance if lens needed sent in for service, is this an issue, Canadian warranty vs. US?

Or is my lurking suspicion that I should just spend the extra $50 for a B&H product well founded?

Input appreciated

ralph

12-20-2010, 03:02 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've purchased from Prodigital2000 twice now, both times for lenses. The items have arrived quickly and both lenses worked perfectly. I am pretty sure the Canadian warranty is good, but have not had to return my lenses for service so I can't speak to the warranty issue. My 17-50 did not have anything wrong with it either. If you want total piece of mind, order from Amazon/B&H. Amazon seems to have the best return policy of any vendor. I just sent back a bad Tammy 10-24, return postage paid, and they are overnighting me a new one. I also bought the Sigma to compare, and can return the one I like the least. Now that's amazing customer service!
12-20-2010, 03:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought my D FA 100mm WR from prodigital2000 and the whole experience was awesome.
12-21-2010, 01:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have to agree with Qtopplings: Amazon rocks when it comes to customer service. They go above and beyond what you would even expect.

I once bought a polarizer @ the Amazon site, but the purchase was actually through Adorama. It was one of those best deal things Amazon searches out for you. i got the polarizer, with a Bill of Sale from Adorama, even though I made the online purchase through the Amazon site, with an Amazon credit card. Anyway, the polarizer was horrible, and I tried calling Adorama to let them know this, but I could not get any help. I called Amazon, and they explained my problem was with Adorama. I explained things to the Amazon rep, and they got a rep from Adorama on the line in a 3-way converstation in minutes. I got my money back in full, including shipping.

12-21-2010, 03:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by qtopplings Quote
I've purchased from Prodigital2000 twice now, both times for lenses. The items have arrived quickly and both lenses worked perfectly. I am pretty sure the Canadian warranty is good, but have not had to return my lenses for service so I can't speak to the warranty issue. My 17-50 did not have anything wrong with it either. If you want total piece of mind, order from Amazon/B&H. Amazon seems to have the best return policy of any vendor. I just sent back a bad Tammy 10-24, return postage paid, and they are overnighting me a new one. I also bought the Sigma to compare, and can return the one I like the least. Now that's amazing customer service!

Agreed. Amazon is tops. But they havent offered a Tammy in a Pentax mount for a while now (I was looking on Amazon for the Tammy or the Sigma 17-170 2.8-4.5 in Pentax....nada for last 3 weeks
12-21-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
I once bought a polarizer @ the Amazon site, but the purchase was actually through Adorama. I.....the polarizer was horrible, and I tried calling Adorama to let them know this, but I could not get any help. I called Amazon, .....and they got a rep from Adorama on the line in a 3-way converstation in minutes. I got my money back in full, including shipping.
I'm pleased that this was resolved but sorry to read that we didn't look after you as we should have done right away. I'm just hoping that this happened a while back, because for sure we've improved in recent times.

I'm always only an email away for advice or any query with an order from Adorama.
12-24-2010, 12:57 AM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Tamron 1750 purchase

I just got my Tamron 17-50 from B&H two weeks ago with $45 rebate until 12/31.

Service was great, delivered with free shipping in two days, NY to Delaware.

I have also made purchases from Adorama and they were also fine, the same for Amazon.

I think you would be fine with any of these online stores.

I just posted a couple of pictures on the thread comparing 17-50 lenses. My is focusing fine and quickly

12-24-2010, 02:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Helen Oster: I'm pleased that this was resolved but sorry to read that we didn't look after you as we should have done right away. I'm just hoping that this happened a while back, because for sure we've improved in recent times.

I'm always only an email away for advice or any query with an order from Adorama.
Helen, thanks for the support--it is much appreciated.