Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

I think I figured the screw-on caps...

The damn thing, although humongously annoying, doesn't fall of the lens!!! As simple as that!!! Very ofter i'm just throwing the camera in my backpack along with other crap... and on more than one occasion I had the regular snap-on or slip-on caps coming off... So it has some practical usability after all...

12-20-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

When reading reviews of the DA15, one of the only criticisms of it was the screw-on lens cap. WHAT? This is one of my favorite things about it. As soon as I saw it, I decided I had to order another one for my FA77.
12-20-2010, 07:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Todd,
Are these available for the 77ltd? I'd take one as well, although I don't have the 77mm yet... still shopping for a clean one and DA70 is a possibility as well....
12-20-2010, 07:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Well, it's the same cap as the DA15. I just tried it, it fit, so I ordered. Says it takes a couple weeks to get it:

Pentax Lens Cap for smc PENTAX DA 15mm f/4 ED AL Limited 31525

12-20-2010, 07:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cool... thanks for the tip! From my past experience, the original cap on 77mm gets rather loose after some time....
12-20-2010, 07:36 PM   #6
Pentaxian

5 minutes after I received the DA Ltd. 15mm, the supplied lens cap went into a box and has been staying there ever since.

In its place I use a 49mm cap with center pinch. I can remove/install the cap with the hood extracted or extended. I attached two small strips of self-adhesive sandpaper to the center pinch of the cap to grasp it better.

12-20-2010, 07:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
5 minutes after I received the DA Ltd. 15mm, the supplied lens cap went into a box and has been staying there ever since.
Wanna sell it?
12-20-2010, 08:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Adamson Quote
When reading reviews of the DA15, one of the only criticisms of it was the screw-on lens cap. WHAT? This is one of my favorite things about it. As soon as I saw it, I decided I had to order another one for my FA77.
Cool, I thought I was the only one that liked it!

12-20-2010, 10:18 PM   #9

Other than a bit slow to get off, I like the screw-in caps also, because they are less likely to get bumped off in the camera bag.

You can save a few $$ though by buying a generic one,

General Brand 49mm Screw-In Metal Lens Cap B&H Photo Video
12-20-2010, 11:43 PM   #10
Pentaxian

After one day out with the 15, I immediately replaced it with a generic pinch cap. Taking it off is no problem of course; can get it off in 2 seconds. The problem is putting it back on. It is incredibly fiddly to line up the threads in cold weather, wearing gloves and using one hand. It will keep sliding out. On average I estimate it takes me somewhere around 5 times longer to finally get it on, compared to a generic cap. I don't even need to look at the lens to put on the clip on cap.

Unlike the mode dial lock on the K-5 (which I love), I can find no technique to make putting it on faster or easier. I found myself simply not putting the cap back on to lessen the hassle, but that defeats the purpose of the cap.
12-21-2010, 12:27 AM   #11
Veteran Member

In its place I use a 49mm cap with center pinch. I can remove/install the cap with the hood extracted or extended. I attached two small strips of self-adhesive sandpaper to the center pinch of the cap to grasp it better.
Yes, that's the way to go!
I did exactly the same with my DA 15 mm and the DA 35 mm, but the trick with the sand paper is as simple as genius!
On the DA 21 mm, I simply put the 52 mm plastic cap of my Rodenstock enlarger lens (till I find a good generic one). It fits exactly over that wonderfully designed 'lens shade'.
The original caps are to slow or to precious to lose and to louse. I have this 'stupid' habit to always put the cap in the back pocket of my jeans and the to sit on it, imagine what is does to an aluminum lens cap.
And oh, I do hate 'protective' UV filters. One buys the rather expensive and marvelous primes, made as a Tessar with very few lens surfaces, and then to 'screw' it wit a filter...
No filter is always better than the best filter, unless you really need one.
Besides, why do you think Pentax did invent that special protective coating for?
12-21-2010, 12:47 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by philippe Quote
On the DA 21 mm, I simply put the 52 mm plastic cap of my Rodenstock enlarger lens (till I find a good generic one). It fits exactly over that wonderfully designed 'lens shade'.
The "hoods" of my DA 21mm and DA 70mm are inspired by those of their brother DA 40mm. They can use a Fujifilm film cartridge cap, a generic 30.5mm cap, or a Pentax 30.5mm cap from an old 110 lens (18mm I think).

12-21-2010, 01:17 AM   #13
Veteran Member

The "hoods" of my DA 21mm and DA 70mm are inspired by those of their brother DA 40mm. They can use a Fujifilm film cartridge cap, a generic 30.5mm cap, or a Pentax 30.5mm cap from an old 110 lens (18mm I think).
This looks good!
But, what kind of rear lens caps do you have there?
These ar not the original ones...
12-21-2010, 01:02 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by philippe Quote
what kind of rear lens caps do you have there?
Op/Tech Double lens mount cap.

Read this thread. My last post is a micro-review of the caps.

12-21-2010, 01:48 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Op/Tech Double lens mount cap.

Read this thread. My last post is a micro-review of the caps.
Thanks for posting that, those look great. I just ordered a couple to try out, one in Nikon, one in Pentax. If they are good, I'll probably just replace all of my crappy OEM rear caps.

I still like the screw-in cap, though. Turns out Adorama has them in stock, so I canceled my B&H order and hope to have it sooner. Adorama also had the 8gb Class 10 SD cards, B&H was out of stock on those, too....so I was able to get everything I needed in a single order. Nothing like dropping $400 on a few grams of plastic. I coulda had another lens!

Now all I need is to find some decent front caps for my Zeiss lenses....might just go with generic screw-ins for those, but.....another day....