Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2010, 07:56 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Need to add black to make the picture more realistic ?

Hi,

I have this Sigma lens that is trouble me a little bit under outside picture.

I were on a park yesterday, and i just looked at my pictures and they seem all fades?

Here's an example, the before and after... The after add +34 on the black side of Lightroom:

here a 1:1 crop:

What can be the problem of this lens ? I shoot raw, but i'd like not to add that amount of black to each pictures...

thanks!

12-21-2010, 07:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Did you use a lens hood? That looks a little like flare to me, which can kill your contrast.
12-21-2010, 08:05 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
Did you use a lens hood? That looks a little like flare to me, which can kill your contrast.
yes i use the lens hood, i don't really know why because there was no sun, the cloud was covering the sky completely...

Is the contrast problem is within the lens or the camera ? It is not the first time i see this problem, inside picture looks good, only picture taken outside had this problem.

I did another test in Lightroom, i've increased the Contrast by 100 (maximum value of the slide) and i have similar result like the black (maybe better...)

If it is a contrast problem within the lens, is there any way to test it ?
12-21-2010, 09:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Well if it was a camera problem you would see it with all your lenses and I'm not sure how it could be a camera problem unless you really messed with the JPEG settings.

You lightroom adjustments seem to have fixed the problem so at least not all is lost.

I have not used that lens so I am unsure what could be causing it... it looks like flare to me. Maybe the harsh, diffused sun through the clouds / bouncing off of the snow made it very difficult for the lens to handle the light? I am unsure.

What aperture did you shoot at? Maybe, in that situation, it would be best to stop down?

12-21-2010, 09:50 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Is that a Samoyed or a wolf? Its head shape is wolfish but it looks so much like my Samoyed.
12-21-2010, 09:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Looks like veiling flare, and it's not uncommon in such shooting scenarios.
12-21-2010, 10:09 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Not all light is created equal.
12-22-2010, 12:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I can't see that much wrong with the shot. Slightly lower exposure would have blackened the trees and given you more texture and detail in the snow and the animal fur. Your corrected version has a slight greenish tinge on my screen.

12-22-2010, 12:47 AM   #9
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What Sigma lens is it?
I used to have Sigma 24/2.8 AF Super Wide II which had the same problem no mater what did I photograph, with or without hood and had the same greenish tinge. In my opinion the coatings on certain 80s and early 90s Sigma lenses is not up to standard that we would now expect. And because of that the lenses are very prone to flare and glare problems which have a knock on effect on contrast and saturation. So what can you do with it? Two choices, sell it and buy better lens, or learn to live with it and keep fixing it in PPing.
12-22-2010, 09:32 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by axl;:
What Sigma lens is it?
I used to have Sigma 24/2.8 AF Super Wide II which had the same problem no mater what did I photograph, with or without hood and had the same greenish tinge. In my opinion the coatings on certain 80s and early 90s Sigma lenses is not up to standard that we would now expect. And because of that the lenses are very prone to flare and glare problems which have a knock on effect on contrast and saturation. So what can you do with it? Two choices, sell it and buy better lens, or learn to live with it and keep fixing it in PPing.
It is the 70-200 f2.8 EPO Ex, first gen I think...

Fixing it in PP, doesn't interesting me much... I'd like to know if it can be repaired, even when my lens is out of warranty, I wonder how much it can cost.

It's stange also, because I did some research and this behavior is not common with this lens...
12-22-2010, 11:17 AM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timo Quote
I can't see that much wrong with the shot. Slightly lower exposure would have blackened the trees and given you more texture and detail in the snow and the animal fur. Your corrected version has a slight greenish tinge on my screen.
I don't see any green on my screen - of course every monitor is different as well.
12-22-2010, 11:21 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TanGU Quote
Fixing it in PP, doesn't interesting me much... I'd like to know if it can be repaired, even when my lens is out of warranty, I wonder how much it can cost.
There is nothing wrong with the lens... you just shot in very demanding conditions. The only solution would be to shoot with a lens with less elements to *reduce* (not eliminate) the flare.

If you want the best optical quality, you're going to have to do some PP every once and a while.