Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How do you display / store your lenses in a dusty home?

I live in an older apartment in a dusty old victorian home. I'm looking for a nice way of "shelving" my lenses for all to see, but want to protect them from dust.

What are your solutions? Post photos if you have any!

Thanks!

12-22-2010, 11:54 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My house is 130 years old, no way to get rid of dust so I end up storing everything in a variety of camera bags with dessicant. I'd like to put them on display, but know i wouldn't dust them frequently enough (the only solution i can think of beyond a sealed cabinet which would need dessicant to control humidity) biggest danger from dust will be when you turn the focus or zoom so as long as you dust them regularly and before use it shouldn't be a huge issue
12-22-2010, 12:00 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

I live in a similar environment

I use these There isn't much in the way of "display", but I use a lowepro "slingshot" bag and the lenses in their cases go directly into the bag w/o any dividers. Makes it easy to get the lenses in and out of the bag, and I also don't have to worry if a cased lens drops on the ground. The cases have two great features (besides the price): they come with an inner sleeve that helps protect the barrels of smaller lenses, and they have nice sturdy velcro loops on the back so that you can carry a case either on a vertical strap (the afore mentioned slingshot strap) or horizontal strap (your belt). In the summer I drop in a silicone pac in each case to keep the humidity down. Adorama markets them in three sizes, they fit everything from my FA 43mm ltd to my Pentax K 300mm.

NaCl(even the lenses with pouches get a case)H2O
12-22-2010, 12:38 PM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

I didn't buy lenses to display them but to use them. I store all of them + my wife's K-x in a plastic container with few silica gel bags. Those lenses that have pouches, those (K50/1.2) that don't are "naked" in the box.

12-22-2010, 01:01 PM   #5
Site Supporter

1/24-scale plastic model display cases.
12-22-2010, 01:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Don't get me wrong...I use the lenses, and I want them to be organized and handy so I want to grab them off the shelf quickly and run out the door to shoot.

I'm thinking an Ikea Detolf maybe? For $80 that's a decent lens holder, though it wouldn't handle my 500mm big gun :P

12-22-2010, 01:28 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by d.bradley Quote
Don't get me wrong...I use the lenses, and I want them to be organized and handy so I want to grab them off the shelf quickly and run out the door to shoot.

I'm thinking an Ikea Detolf maybe? For $80 that's a decent lens holder, though it wouldn't handle my 500mm big gun :P
likely isn't overly dust-proof either, just adds to what you have to dust with all the glass
i guess you could caulk all the corners and only had the issue of the door area, but having worked retail i can tell you showcases needed to be dusted constantly to keep them looking good
12-22-2010, 01:33 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
My wife offered me a free solution: if I only tried to "display" my photo gear she'd kick me out of the house, so everything stays nice&cosy in the drawers in my bedroom....

12-23-2010, 06:16 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Huck Finn Quote
My wife offered me a free solution: if I only tried to "display" my photo gear she'd kick me out of the house, so everything stays nice&cosy in the drawers in my bedroom....
that sounds about right, mine will let me display the old folders and the russian rangefinders , for everything else i've been provided a closet
12-23-2010, 06:25 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Why wouldn't cleaning work?
12-23-2010, 06:28 AM   #11
Site Supporter

My stuff is in various photo bags and cases in a closet. I don't seen the need for the dessicant in 10% humidity, but keeping it away from dust is an issue. Whenever my wife gets rid of an unused piece of exercise equipment, I'll buid cabinets into the upstairs walk-in linen closet.
12-23-2010, 06:43 AM   #12

I use 3 Vanguard Dividers Bags 46F along with some dessicant, stored in a extra bedroom closet. I don't use the hard cases the dividers a designed to fit in.I also use a Kata 30n1 for carry around bag.Being in S Florida, I worry about humidity( whole house de-humidifier works great) a little more then dust, but this system helps with both in my case. If needed I can grap the bags an exit the home very quickly( fire or fight with wife)..
Mike
12-23-2010, 12:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I don't worry about dust and moisture. If I did, I'd consider tupperware-type sealed containers, with desiccant. I don't worry about displaying my 175+ lenses. If I did, I'd get one of those neat electric rotating-rack jewelery display cabinets -- just hold down a button to bring up the next line of display items. Hmmm, I wonder if those can be hermetically sealed?

Or another approach: keep the lenses (and camera bodies, etc) stored in safely sealed and conditioned containers, out of everyone's way, and just display PICTURES of the gear in a photo-frame slideshow. But don't cheat by including images of stuff you don't actually possess, no no no. Gotta maintain some integrity now...
12-23-2010, 09:02 PM   #14

Holy shit! Did you just say you had 175+ lenses?

Wow.
12-23-2010, 10:01 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by qtopplings Quote
Holy shit! Did you just say you had 175+ lenses?
Holy shit, indeed. My current inventory is 176, of which 21 will hopefully be sold sometime, but I'll probably get more to replace those, not to mention another half-dozen due to arrive in the next few days. And I may spree again in a couple weeks. Watch out!

It's like this: 2.5 years ago I bought a K20D and 3 lenses. Then I bought a few more lenses, and then more, and then more... mostly pretty cheap old manual primes on eBay. And I'd buy batch-lots of gear in order to pick out one or two gems. But the excess piled up, and my cash ran out. So a few months ago I started selling lenses I couldn't use -- Canon and Leica and such mounts -- and I made a good profit, enabling me to buy yet MORE lenses, more batch-lots, some of which I immediately turn around.

So now I'm a lens trader. I've sold 80 so far, at about 80% profit, and 20 cameras (leaving me only 35 cams, 10 of which I hope to sell), and various odd photo gear (meters, hoods, etc). I'm no longer employed, so if I want more stuff, I must sell stuff first. I still have more 28's and 135's than I can deal with, so some of those will go... and more exotic stuff will arrive. My accumulation will likely stabilize around 150. Hmmm, I know I have some other cameras and lenses squirreled away that I haven't counted. Hmmm...

Yes, I'm an optics junky. But guess what? A poll over at MFLenses.Com, the manual-focus lens site, asked for ownership numbers. Of the first 100+ replies, the AVERAGE per member was 101 lenses. The greatest was 1500+ lenses. Holy shit, indeed.