Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2010, 03:54 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Jewelltrail, why did you have to send your Tamron 28-75 for repair? I find the images on the "cool" side from the Tamron, compared to the Pentax lenses. Although I prefer the DA*16-50 (in its range) for color and contrast, the Tamron is a very good, sharp lens with probably one of the most useful focal ranges of any zoom lens. (That plus the DA 15 make a good combo!) Like someone else said though, if I'm going to head out with just one lens, the Tamron fits the bill very well. And although it's not a true macro, it's close-focus capabilities are pretty good too.

12-23-2010, 09:03 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
Jewelltrail, why did you have to send your Tamron 28-75 for repair? I find the images on the "cool" side from the Tamron, compared to the Pentax lenses. Although I prefer the DA*16-50 (in its range) for color and contrast, the Tamron is a very good, sharp lens with probably one of the most useful focal ranges of any zoom lens. (That plus the DA 15 make a good combo!) Like someone else said though, if I'm going to head out with just one lens, the Tamron fits the bill very well. And although it's not a true macro, it's close-focus capabilities are pretty good too.
This post bring up two of my remaining worries.

Aside from having to adjust to a larger lens (I can cope ), my worry is that the Tamron is not going to compare with respect to colour, or reliability.

Assuming that this older Tamron focuses properly and is in good shape TODAY, what is the likelihood that it will stay that way for years to come?

The contrast and colours of the DA 40 are unlike anything I have seen from any lens. It is brutally truthful, perhaps, but also ultra modern. I like the look. I have seen some really awesome shots from the Tamron but I am curious if my spoiled eyes will have some trouble adjusting?

Secondly, my other worry is that the Tamron might start front-focusing or back-focusing like some have reported. So even if the lens works great today, I have read that it is possible it will fail tomorrow. My general understanding is that since there are less parts in a prime to fail, it is less likely they will fail. The cost-savings of this lens no longer make any sense if I will be forced to replace it.

Any advice in this matter would be wonderful. I really appreciate all of your help .
12-23-2010, 09:11 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
Secondly, my other worry is that the Tamron might start front-focusing or back-focusing like some have reported. So even if the lens works great today, I have read that it is possible it will fail tomorrow. My general understanding is that since there are less parts in a prime to fail, it is less likely they will fail. The cost-savings of this lens no longer make any sense if I will be forced to replace it.
While there certainly can be issues with FF/BF on the Tamron zooms, I don't recall reading much on people who's lenses worked great and then developed FF/BF. As far as I know, it's usually an issue that is there from the start. So while it's possible that it may happen over time, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. Also, while overall I would agree with you that there are more parts that can fail/wear out on the zoom vs a prime, it isn't often that you read threads about people actually wearing out this lens. I can only recall one off the top of my head, so I wouldn't take the replacement cost of this unlikely scenerio into account when making your choice.
12-23-2010, 09:32 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
While there certainly can be issues with FF/BF on the Tamron zooms, I don't recall reading much on people who's lenses worked great and then developed FF/BF. As far as I know, it's usually an issue that is there from the start. So while it's possible that it may happen over time, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. Also, while overall I would agree with you that there are more parts that can fail/wear out on the zoom vs a prime, it isn't often that you read threads about people actually wearing out this lens. I can only recall one off the top of my head, so I wouldn't take the replacement cost of this unlikely scenerio into account when making your choice.
Great, that calms me .

As for the difference in colour and contrast... is it the sort of thing that can be equalized in post (assuming a difference even exists?)

12-23-2010, 10:02 AM   #20
Pentaxian

28-75mm is an incredible lens - I own a few primes but this one is on camera most of the time. Sharp even at wide open.

28-75@ 75mm/f2.8

12-23-2010, 11:55 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Great, that calms me .

As for the difference in colour and contrast... is it the sort of thing that can be equalized in post (assuming a difference even exists?)
I'm sure there are differences in color and contrast, but to be honest, I like the results I get with both the 28-75 and the my pentax primes. I'm sure you could adjust things in PP to get them pretty close, although I'm probably the wrong person to ask about the details on how to specifically go about it.

The bottom line is that it's pretty much impossible to go wrong with the 28-75 in terms of IQ.
12-23-2010, 05:06 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Just as an update, I went to see the man's Tamron. I tested both lenses out, and was pleasantly surprised by the lens. I didn't end up making the trade, though.

1) I was surprised to see that the DA 40 was a much brighter lens than the Tammy at 40mm. The difference in shutter speed at f2.8 was between 1/40 and 1/80!

2) The sample he has was ok-sharp, but not as sharp as my LTD. It was obvious, even fully zoomed out. Furthermore, his lens looked fairly beat up, and had a rather long piece of hair (or something) underneath the front element. In general, I was not convinced that the lens was treated well. I feel as though a better sample of this zoom might be out there, waiting for me, which will be sharp enough to make me forget about my little limited (his sample did not look at sharp as the photo above).

The difference in equivalent exposures was quite amazing to me. While the DA 40 might not be a DOF king, it went to show me that it does not have to be a dark lens. For now, I will keep the DA 40 (and might actually consider the 70, now that I have some experience with the Tammy), but the price is right for that zoom, so if I manage to find a good sample I think I will have to bring one home with me .

Thank you everyone, and Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays!!

12-23-2010, 09:03 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
NeverSatisfied: Jewelltrail, why did you have to send your Tamron 28-75 for repair?
Here is the deal with my copy of the Tammy 28-75 f2.8. I bought it @ our Forum's Marketplace from a seller with 16 "thumbs up" sales, or %100 rating. She told me the lens was a perfect performer on her K7. I got the lens, maybe 6 weeks ago, and shot with it. I had to shoot 4 GB of images to get 2 dozen shots in focus, 1 of which I manually focused just to test: we are talking SEVERE FF. I've never seen anything like it. If I'm shooting a person indoors, for example, and they are lying on a couch, (feet closest to me), and I aim for a portrait of their face, I will often get focus upon their feet. This is from a shooting distance of about 15 to 25 feet.

I spoke with the seller about this, and she says, not only did the lens shoot perfectly for her, but that it shot perfectly for the person who owned it before her as well. The only conclusion I can come to, is it is not the lens, but the difference in Pentax bodies which is causing the FF.

I will say this, it has been mighty disheartening to say the least.

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 12-24-2010 at 02:07 AM.
12-24-2010, 01:37 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Is there no way to calibrate your camera without throwing all of your other lenses out?
12-24-2010, 01:41 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Sure, calibrations can be made for all or singular lenses with the K20d. However, FF is so severe in my situation.
12-24-2010, 04:54 AM   #26
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1) I was surprised to see that the DA 40 was a much brighter lens than the Tammy at 40mm. The difference in shutter speed at f2.8 was between 1/40 and 1/80!

2) The sample he has was ok-sharp, but not as sharp as my LTD. It was obvious, even fully zoomed out.

For now, I will keep the DA 40 (and might actually consider the 70, now that I have some experience with the Tammy), but the price is right for that zoom, so if I manage to find a good sample I think I will have to bring one home with me .

Thank you everyone, and Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays!!
Merry Christmas to you also.
Good decision on going with the 40/70 combo. If you're happy zooming with your feet you'll get as good results as from any other lens and be not so badly off financially.

Despite having primes that cover the 28-75 range, I've still had, and will be getting again, the Tamron because of its versatility, mainly for use in weddings....
12-24-2010, 07:28 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Here's a portrait for you

Lighting was terrible at the zoo that day. This is at 75mm and wide open at f2.8, 1/30 sec,and ISO400.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
12-24-2010, 07:41 AM   #28
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote

Despite having primes that cover the 28-75 range, I've still had, and will be getting again, the Tamron because of its versatility, mainly for use in weddings....
What about the new Pentax 18-135?

That's my plan by March, because I'll be doing a wedding.
12-24-2010, 07:43 AM   #29
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
28-75mm is an incredible lens - I own a few primes but this one is on camera most of the time. Sharp even at wide open.

28-75@ 75mm/f2.8
Yusuf, that shot really shows the character of that lens.

It's one of the best zooms out there, but of course, your hands and eyes didn't hurt either.
12-24-2010, 08:12 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes the quality out of this zoom is pretty incredible, especially for the price. If I find a good copy, I will be tempted again.

It's funny, I've read a lot about how it is an awkward zoom range on ASP-C. I actually find it more useful for an f2.8 lens (maybe more specialized, but more useful for it's "people" application).

Ira, are you very much concerned about the light indoors for the wedding? I love the quality of the 18-135, but I would be nervous shooting a wedding without something relatively fast.