Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2007, 01:21 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fritz Quote
What lens did you do this on? My Super-Takumars are too narrow and miss the locking pin. So I don't think this will work on those lenses.
The lens is a 400mm tele-takumar. The lens only catches about 1/2 of the locking pin, diameterwise, but that's enough to lock it in place. Works great for me. By leaving the adapter on the lens it works just like any other K mount lens.

CN

10-12-2007, 01:28 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shutterdrone Quote
I'm going to have to try that, as my Bower adapter just came in, and, I have to say. I am NOT pleased at all. The act of attaching it, screwing in a lens, unscrewing it, and then removing the adapter FILLS my camera with silver shreds from the adapter. I had to clean my sensor after the first attempt. I would like to try this to minimize the amount of cruft it leaves in my camera. (Also, when it came in, it had burrs on the threading, I had to manually file those off before trying to attach a lens or to the camera.)

Was hoping to try out some m42 lenses I got this weekend, but I can't change lenses in the field with this much stuff coming off the adapter, so unless I can get what you mention to work - it's K-mount only this weekend.

!c
I certainly agree with your assessment of the Bower adapter. Mine was stiff going on the first time, and I witnessed some of the shreds you're talking about. I must have gotten them all cut off that first time, because since then it's worked smoothly, and I haven't seen any more loose metal. I kept the front of my camera pointed down while getting everything working correctly, and haven't noticed any problem with picture quality, so hopefully didn't get any on the sensor.

CN
10-12-2007, 03:23 PM   #18

I'm going to have to try that, as my Bower adapter just came in, and, I have to say. I am NOT pleased at all. The act of attaching it, screwing in a lens, unscrewing it, and then removing the adapter FILLS my camera with silver shreds from the adapter. I had to clean my sensor after the first attempt. I would like to try this to minimize the amount of cruft it leaves in my camera. (Also, when it came in, it had burrs on the threading, I had to manually file those off before trying to attach a lens or to the camera.)

Was hoping to try out some m42 lenses I got this weekend, but I can't change lenses in the field with this much stuff coming off the adapter, so unless I can get what you mention to work - it's K-mount only this weekend.

!c
To quote Curly, "Nyah, ah, AH!"

Thanks for the warning; I'll avoid the Bower adapter.

Sheesh!

Scottax1
10-12-2007, 06:46 PM   #19
Veteran Member

From what I've read, the genuine Pentax M42 to K mount adapters are much better than the cheaper alternatives. Unfortunately, they're not only expensive, but also hard to find. The PentaxUSA web site lists them for $30, but says they're out of stock and don't know when they'll get any more. One of the members of this forum just sold one on E-bay for $38 plus shipping, and KEH has a used one for $37, and charges $45 for a new one. Based on Chako's advice I went to Camera-Craft, and found the genuine article there for $34.95 Canadian plus shipping which they estimated at $15. (Pretty ridiculous for an item which can't weigh more than a couple of ounces) They did say that they had them in stock, however, and that's the only place I've been able to find that did have. Since putting the Dremel to the tele-takumar I think I'll just stick with what I have for now. Hopefully by this point I've ground off all metal shavings from the Bower adapter, and won't mess up my camera's sensor. I will continue to install and remove the lens with the front of the camera pointed down, however.

CN

10-12-2007, 07:54 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
i've got a kalt fromB&H, $18 delivered, and it goes on and off with a fingernail.
I second the Kalt adapter. It's the same adapter as the original Pentax, equally well machined, for half the price. I bought three of them and never had a problem. Like Dawg, I removed the spring but I didn't glue the adapter to the lens thread

This way, I can carry up to three M42 lenses with the adapter already mounted and switch easily from one lens to another. The lens-adapter assembly doesn't lock on the camera body, but it fits tightly enough to prevent the lens from falling down on the pavement

Cheers!
10-12-2007, 09:31 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Adapting to Adapters

I have two 'Bowers' and one PTX. The PTX is much better. I always hold my K100D 'face-down' to install the adapter, and so far have not noticed sensor dust. I am reluctant to try the 'Dremel' trick as my old PTX lenses are all in mint ccondition..........
10-13-2007, 12:57 AM   #22
Syb
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
The lens-adapter assembly doesn't lock on the camera body, but it fits tightly enough to prevent the lens from falling down on the pavement
Is there a way of getting that result too? My adapter - no spring - does not fit that tightly to the body. Turning the focusing ring may result in my SMC TAK 300/4 falling into pieces... --- or get just a little damaged---

Syb

10-13-2007, 01:20 AM   #23
Veteran Member

!c
I have the genuine Pentax adapter, and didn't mind paying almost double for it.
However this might just help you.

The first thing that I do when I remove my only screwmount lens is screw the adapter back on and put a normal K-mount rear cap on.
When I mount the lens I really only treat it like any other lens until I have to remove it again.

If the shavings are coming off when your screwing the lens onto the mount this should eliminate the problem.

I can take my adapter off with my fingernails as well.