Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2007, 09:51 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
stick to DA 18-55 for street/landscape?

Hi,
Lately I am really into street & landsape photography. So far I've only been using the kitlens, now I know this isn't a bad lens, but there are better lenses for this kind of photography, aren't there?
I've been thinking about the DA 16-45 or DA 21 F3.2.
Or should I stick to the kitlens? Suggestions more than welcome !
Thanks
Tom

09-30-2007, 10:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I loved my kit lens and thought it was awesome. Then I tried old primes....

I think you would love the contrast and crispness of maybe a Pentax-A 28mm for that kind of shooting? Or maybe have some fun with the zenitar 16mm that everyone seems to love? Heck.... you could get both with lots of money left over for the price of the DA 16-45!! (AND both of them will still work if we ever get a full frame sensor )
09-30-2007, 11:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Street and landscape means outdoor daylight photography for the most part, so you aren't going to need a really fast lens. My suggestion and a lens I have been very happy with is the Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 macro. It's a great carry around lens that's going to cover 90+% of what you'll be shooting, and being a zoom it obviates the need for carrying around and continuously changing primes. Moreover, it's reasonably priced at about $350 or so if memory serves me correctly. Incidentally, there've been a couple of these lens for sale recently in the photographers' marketplace section of this website. If you're interested in the Sigma you might want to check them out.

Yours FWIW

CN

Last edited by Clem Nichols; 09-30-2007 at 12:01 PM. Reason: correction
09-30-2007, 12:44 PM   #4
Tom
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks. The Sigma might indeed be what I am looking for. I am going to check out some reviews.