Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2007, 04:23 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_Watso Quote
More seriously, I generally do landscapes, and use my 12-24 most of the time. But for closer work, I found that I really like the range of the kit-lens, so I'd like to replace it with a lens that has about the same range, but with a nicer end image.

I just can't seem to find out if the extra dead presidents are warranted for the DA*, again, in terms of image quality. The larger aperture and other features are being ignored for my current comparison. I just want the sharpest image edge to edge, and the best color/contrast. Distortion control is actually probably the most important aspect for me in terms of glass, but I hear both the 14-45, and the 16-50 do well in that department.
For landscape work where a wide aperture and focus speed are not really issues, I'd save the money and go with the DA 16-45mm. The difference between 45mm and 50mm isn't significant. The 16-45mm does need some correction for barrel distortion at the wide end (as does the DA 12-24mm f/4) but it only takes a minute with Pentax Photo Lab, Photoshop, or Lightroom. The 16-45mm also has less CA than the 12-24mm, so that shouldn't be an issue for you. From what I've read, the DA*16-50 doesn't do a lot better in terms of distortion, CA or resolution. The main draws are SDM, f/2.8, and the better build quality.

10-09-2007, 05:55 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I've thought it over, and I'm going to buy a Pentax 16-45, as I'd rather keep all my lenses Pentax.

As you may have read in my, "In Praise Of The 18-55 Kit Lens" thread, I am very happy with that little bugger; I just wish it was a stop faster at the long end for better portrait bokeh. I've seen what the kit lens can do, and a few of you here have said that the 16-45 is a pretty sharp lens.

So, the 16-45 it will be.

And look what I found at the dpreview forum: a nice portrait with a lovely model taken with a 16-45.

portrait by K10D,16-45 1:4 DA lens used: Pentax Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

That's a nice shot.

Mike
10-09-2007, 06:09 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmmm, i need to find some models like that !!
10-09-2007, 07:09 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
Hmmm, i need to find some models like that !!
I have one for you, Stratman.

Not the best background, but this was a quick grab-shot at a model workshop.

This girl wasn't even scheduled to be there. She was someone's friend, but I had her pose by the pool as soon as I saw her. She's pretty, huh?

Sadly, I was in such a rush when I left that I forgot to exchange contact info with her.

By the way, this was taken with my Kodak P880 before I got my K100D.

Mike

10-09-2007, 08:41 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
does anyone have a sample picture of the pentax 16-45 on the k100d? everywhere i look are samples with the K10d! i want to know if the k100d can process images of similar quality.
10-13-2007, 12:20 AM   #21
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Or, spend twice the money for a negligible difference?
This is subjective. Where I live, we get 100+ inches of rain per year. For me, $500 is worth being able to take pics .
10-13-2007, 06:51 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Bokeh Quote
I have one for you, Stratman.

Not the best background, but this was a quick grab-shot at a model workshop.

This girl wasn't even scheduled to be there. She was someone's friend, but I had her pose by the pool as soon as I saw her. She's pretty, huh?

Sadly, I was in such a rush when I left that I forgot to exchange contact info with her.

By the way, this was taken with my Kodak P880 before I got my K100D.

Mike
A beautiful model, and a great capture !
10-13-2007, 09:05 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
A beautiful model, and a great capture !
Thanks, Stratman.

I just hope I can get in touch with her through the guy who organized the workshop.

Mike