Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2010, 09:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma 30mm F1.4 or Sigma 28mm F1.8?

I'm contemplating a future (far in the future) lens purchase. I'd like to get a fast "normal" lens and I'm interested in the two Sigma offerings, the 28mm F1.8 and the 30mm F1.4.

I'm REALLY interested in the 30mm as it has been compared favorably with the FA31. BUT, I'm also interested in the 28mm because of its MACRO designation. I think the 28mm may give a flatter field with a more overall sharp image. Am I wrong about this?

Which would you rather have and why?

12-22-2010, 09:59 PM   #2
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No experience with the 28mm 1.8, but the 30mm is nice. I bought it because 50mm was too long, but now I'm dumping all my primes for zooms. Send me a PM if you are interested in my 30mm 1.4.
12-22-2010, 11:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 30/1.4 - great for portraiture, especially the center. not too pleasing on the outer edges and corners though.

Sigma 28/1.8 - not as good as the Sigma for portraiture but good overall fast lens. I feel this would give you a more flatter image if that was what you are looking for.
12-23-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have the 28mm. It is a great lens with great macro capabilities. It is larger, but that is not usually a problem for me. Here is a walk around test I did a while back for someone considering it.

Sigma EX DG 28mm F/1.8 - Stephen Merola's Photos

12-24-2010, 05:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Has anyone seen any tests on the 28mm F1.8? I can't seem to find any.

I may just go with the 30mm since many seem to like it alot and I've seen some landscapes taken with it where there wasn't any noticeably blurry edges.

The 28mm is a Macro though, just don't really see any talk about it on the forums or elsewhere.
12-24-2010, 09:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
Sigma 30/1.4 - great for portraiture, especially the center. not too pleasing on the outer edges and corners though.

Sigma 28/1.8 - not as good as the Sigma for portraiture but good overall fast lens. I feel this would give you a more flatter image if that was what you are looking for.
I own a Sigma 30/1.4 and I would disagree on that. Although to be fair it is a subjective thing.

No one IMO shoots at 1.4 expecting an across the frame sharpness/crispness and I think Sigma have optimised a sharp centre wide open to cater for the shallow depth of field shooting and in that respect the relative edge softness wide open is not a caveat. Even though the oft quoted tech test results might indicate an issue.

I'm impressed the way Sigma have gone for a sharp centre at the expense of a softer edge wide open as it shows they understand the type of shooting snappers go for at these apertures.