Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2010, 03:28 PM   #1

Dropped my Pentax 12-24mm :(

Hi All,
I was shooting a waterfall and slipped and took a nasty fall down some rocks.

My Pentax 12-24mm has hit the rocks and dented a bit at the front, now it doesn't zoom smoothly, it gets very hard to turn mid range
The glass looks ok at this stage and the focusing ring is still smooth.

How much would this kind of thing cost to repair?
Am I crazy to disassemble the lens myself and try bend something back? does anyone have any experience doing such thing?
Would I be damaging anything if I continued to use the lens and zoom it through this tight zone?

I'm pretty disappointed, it's my favourite and most used lens
Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

12-23-2010, 03:32 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suspect that a proper repair outlet would be a better choice, but my middle initial is "K" for "Klutz", so perhaps I am overly pessimistic about doing it at home. I agree with you about the lens - it is superb.
12-23-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Bummer dude! I'd have already sent it to the repair place. That is one of my very favorite lenses for sure. Send it to a repair shop and get it done right.
12-23-2010, 07:14 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great lens.

Bummer about accident.

Agree that professional expertise should be sought.

12-23-2010, 07:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I agree with the other posters and please do it sooner rather than later. If it is hard going through the middle range, then something is scraping on something...which is a bad thing on a zoom lens. It's only gonna get worse unfortunately...
12-23-2010, 08:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Ouch, ouch ouch! I feel your pain. I bounced a lens for the first time in October when I left a zipper open on my backpack and my 28-75 dropped 3ft onto a marble floor [sickest sound I have ever heard in my life, btw]. I just got it back from Tamron USA on Monday, good as new, and repaired under warranty no less.

I agree with the others - get that lens repaired by a professional lensman. It is too sweet (and expensive) of a lens to risk causing more harm by trying to DIY repairs.
12-23-2010, 08:47 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Done that: it's the kind of thing that makes you feel like crap. Fortunately in my case, Eric rescued the lens.
12-23-2010, 10:26 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies, looks like I'll be sending it in.

I'm guessing the repair price will be quite steep where it's probably only a bent piece of something...that said I can imagine myself opening the lens and all the elements falling out.

Been having a pretty bad day with this and other things, but this afternoon I found a (seemingly rare) Pentax smc 150mm f/4.0 in an opp shop for $30
What were the chances!

12-24-2010, 02:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I once had my A*85/1.4 roll out and onto the concrete floor!

There was a dent in the rim and the focusing ring was jammed. Camera Clinic charge me ~$US120 and did an absolutely beautiful job of it. You can hardly see where it was dented. They also CLA'ed it.
12-24-2010, 03:10 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DanielT74 Quote
I once had my A*85/1.4 roll out and onto the concrete floor!

There was a dent in the rim and the focusing ring was jammed. Camera Clinic charge me ~$US120 and did an absolutely beautiful job of it. You can hardly see where it was dented. They also CLA'ed it.
It's the worst feeling!
The first thing I did was look at the lens, it seemed fine until I turned it over and saw the dents, then tried to focus and take a picture - worked fine, my heart sunk when the zoom jammed.
It was only then did I notice the blood on my knees and elbows

Thanks a lot for the info on Camera Clinic, I was assuming I'd have to send it back to Pentax Australia, and that price isn't as bad as I thought, obviously dependant on the damage but it's good to get a rough idea, thanks!

Merry Christmas!