Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-24-2010, 07:23 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lens caps and frozen fingers

I know my old fingers just don't do as good as they use'ta-
Does anyone else have problems squeezing the newer Pentax lens cap tabs when it is cold? If so, I would like to hear what your resolution has been (Other than staying in the warm)?

12-24-2010, 07:58 AM   #2
Forum Member

I always wear fingerless gloves when it's cold.
12-24-2010, 08:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I avoid cold as best I can -- not easy when 3m of drifts are piled up around my house.

But also, I remove the lens cap *before* I go outside to shoot.

[/me considers relocating to Puerto Vallarta]
12-24-2010, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DigiMack Quote
Does anyone else have problems squeezing the newer Pentax lens cap tabs when it is cold? If so, I would like to hear what your resolution has been (Other than staying in the warm)?
Not sure how much it helps in the cold, but it does help a lot in general.

I attached two small strips of self-adhesive sandpaper to the center pinch to grasp the cap easier.

12-24-2010, 04:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great idea. I have a hard time getting my fat fingers in there in the best of situations..
12-24-2010, 06:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hey, that is neat. Thanks for the idea SOldBear, I will give that a try. I hadn't thought about it, but my fingers have often slipped removing those blasted caps in warm weather too. It just doesn't pain as much as when you have spent the past three or five hours (or more) in sub freezing temperatures. Season Greetings to you.
12-24-2010, 08:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Two things:
Mechanics Wear Gloves: All Gloves : Mechanix Wear
I like the camo ones, but there's plenty of options out there. If none of these are warm enough,l check out hunting gloves at Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops, Gander Mountain, etc. The whole point is to have enough warmth to keep your fingers ready for the quick reaction needed.

The other thing is hand warmers. There are many options that you can pick up almost anywhere. I have two things I use. One are the packets you can buy at most sporting goods stores and Wal-Mart that are good for 6-8 hours of warmth. The other are battery operated versions that keep hands warm too.

Besides this there are a wide variety of things including battery warmed clothing itself. Go into a sporting good store and check out the options. There's lots and one will work well for you!