Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2010, 03:05 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Broken Pentax-A 50mm 1.4 Please help

So, I ordered a Pentax-A 50mm f1.4 from a nice lady on ebay that knows nothing about lenses or cameras. She listed that she was selling the lens for a friend and knew nothing about it otherwise. I FINALLY (after 3 weeks) received my new lens just in time for my trip to Canada (I leave Sunday morning).

Upon inspecting the lens I have found that it is in pretty bad shape. Multiple issues that need fixing, but should be easily fixed with the right know how.

Issues:
1. Aperture ring does not "click" into f-stops, just kinda slides along. Not a huge deal as I intend to keep the aperture ring set in the 'A' setting all the time, and it still locks in place.
2. The 'A' pin is either missing or has been pushed all the way into it's hole. So the camera does not recognize that the lens is set to 'A'.
3. I can hear something rateling around inside the lens. Possibly the missing 'A' pin or possibly the ball bearing that allows the aperture to "click".
4. The aperture blades are not snappy. At least not all the time. When I turn the lens one way they snap back like they should. When turned the other way they kinda close quickly, but definitely not as fast as they should. Again, could be whatever is rattling around in there.
Aside from these issues, the lens is in great shape. Looks good on the outside, optics are clear and dust free. Focus is very smooth as well. Basically it should be great if I can fix it.

Does anyone have, or could point me to, a how to guide on dissembling an reassembling this lens? Is it even worth it or does this lens sound mostly f#*%@d.

I've already tried to contact the seller, but it could be days before I hear back from her and since I'm leaving in a few days, I may not even be able to respond if she does contact me. I've given her the option of giving me a full refund w/ shipping or crediting me back all but $25 for the lens since it is in very poor shape (mechanically) and should have been listed as "for parts or repair". Should I retract my $25 option and send the lens back to her anyway?

12-24-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I wrote an article on the A50/1.7 that will be similar but not identical. The f1.4 lenses are built better and differently, but it's been so long since I've taken mine apart, I can't remember the exact differences. I would expect to find that someone has taken yours apart and reassembled it with pieces missing.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/maintenance-repair-articles/88051-pentax-...ng-repair.html
12-25-2010, 09:29 PM   #3

Original Poster
thanks for the info. That at least is a very goos starting point.
12-25-2010, 09:58 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Damian Quote
So, I ordered a Pentax-A 50mm f1.4 from a nice lady on ebay that knows nothing about lenses or cameras. She listed that she was selling the lens for a friend and knew nothing about it otherwise. I FINALLY (after 3 weeks) received my new lens just in time for my trip to Canada (I leave Sunday morning).

Upon inspecting the lens I have found that it is in pretty bad shape. Multiple issues that need fixing, but should be easily fixed with the right know how.

Issues:
1. Aperture ring does not "click" into f-stops, just kinda slides along. Not a huge deal as I intend to keep the aperture ring set in the 'A' setting all the time, and it still locks in place.
2. The 'A' pin is either missing or has been pushed all the way into it's hole. So the camera does not recognize that the lens is set to 'A'.
3. I can hear something rateling around inside the lens. Possibly the missing 'A' pin or possibly the ball bearing that allows the aperture to "click".
4. The aperture blades are not snappy. At least not all the time. When I turn the lens one way they snap back like they should. When turned the other way they kinda close quickly, but definitely not as fast as they should. Again, could be whatever is rattling around in there.
Aside from these issues, the lens is in great shape. Looks good on the outside, optics are clear and dust free. Focus is very smooth as well. Basically it should be great if I can fix it.

Does anyone have, or could point me to, a how to guide on dissembling an reassembling this lens? Is it even worth it or does this lens sound mostly f#*%@d.

I've already tried to contact the seller, but it could be days before I hear back from her and since I'm leaving in a few days, I may not even be able to respond if she does contact me. I've given her the option of giving me a full refund w/ shipping or crediting me back all but $25 for the lens since it is in very poor shape (mechanically) and should have been listed as "for parts or repair". Should I retract my $25 option and send the lens back to her anyway?
I don't know how much you paid for that lens but looks like more than $25, the lens itself would probably worth $130-150 in good working condition. I was lucky to have mine for only $80 a year go.

For $25 I would probably stick and try to fix it but remember A series lens is harder to fix than K or M series due to the A setting.

Hope this helps a bit.

12-25-2010, 10:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So, I ordered a Pentax-A 50mm f1.4 from a nice lady on ebay that knows nothing about lenses or cameras.
Red Flag #1

QuoteQuote:
She listed that she was selling the lens for a friend
Red Flag #2

QuoteQuote:
and knew nothing about it otherwise.
Red Flag #3

QuoteQuote:
Each of those three red flags are classic "weasel phrases" that scream "BUYER BEWARE" and are in effect the exact same as saying "this thing may be total junk and I am not responsible if it does turn out to be junk". With any lens listing, if the seller doesn't explicitly state that it is in usable condition you should ALWAYS assume the lens is a junk lens and that you have no recourse if it turns out to be one. Even people whose feedback (or user name) indicates that they in fact sell lots of camera gear will often use such phrases as a sneaky way of selling something they know full well to be junk hoping that some optimistic soul will come along and pay good money for it. The whole purpose of those phrases is to insulate the seller from having to make refunds to the (excuse the expression) sucker who fell for the listing. You gambled and lost.
01-03-2011, 08:53 AM   #6

Original Poster
Update:
Just got back from vacation and the nice lady who sold me the lens has offered a full refund. I have accepted and as soon as the refund is issued I will send the lens back to the seller. I guess I'll have to be a little more careful picking a good seller next time. Thank you everyone for all the help.
01-03-2011, 11:27 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Update:
Just got back from vacation and the nice lady who sold me the lens has offered a full refund. I have accepted and as soon as the refund is issued I will send the lens back to the seller. I guess I'll have to be a little more careful picking a good seller next time. Thank you everyone for all the help.
Personally I think you actually got a good seller .. a bad one would have told you to **** off as they had said that they knew nothing about the lens.
01-03-2011, 03:34 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Red Flag #1

Red Flag #2

Red Flag #3

Each of those three red flags are classic "weasel phrases" that scream "BUYER BEWARE" and are in effect the exact same as saying "this thing may be total junk and I am not responsible if it does turn out to be junk". With any lens listing, if the seller doesn't explicitly state that it is in usable condition you should ALWAYS assume the lens is a junk lens and that you have no recourse if it turns out to be one. Even people whose feedback (or user name) indicates that they in fact sell lots of camera gear will often use such phrases as a sneaky way of selling something they know full well to be junk hoping that some optimistic soul will come along and pay good money for it. The whole purpose of those phrases is to insulate the seller from having to make refunds to the (excuse the expression) sucker who fell for the listing. You gambled and lost.
Red flags yes, but the questionable sellers often will also state As Is, No Refunds either directly or in the return policy box. They will also demonstrate their lack of ability or willingness to show a clear photo. They aren't all sneaks though, as demonstrated in the quote below (assuming she follows through with refund).

Update:
You always have to be careful picking a seller.. Hope it all works out for you.. From your original description however, it seems as if the lens had already been disassembled. The little bearing ball that makes those click stops cannot easily fall out. I would guess somebody removed the rear mount, perhaps didn't know what Should be there in the aperture ring assembly, and just stuck it back together. The noise you hear rattling around is probably that little steel ball.