Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-25-2010, 05:38 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Have you lost your filter door?

Here is a modification I made to the lens hood of the Pentax 60-250 so the little filter door cannot be lost. (it is just so small and so easy to lose)

1) Take something sharp and pointy to mark the spot where you will drill (Otherwise when you start to drill the drill bit will wander all over the place and ruin the hood)

2) Take a 1mm drill bit, (not bigger) and drill holes where you have marked. if the drill bit is too small for you drill chuck, wrap a bit of masking tape around it, it will grip the bit enough for this job if you go slowly.

3) Take a length of this woven Nylon cord, (find a little halyard from old something) tie a knot in one end, cut end off and seal with flame so it won't fray.

4) Pull cord through the hole from inside the hood, thread it through the other hole of the door, (5) measure a suitable length and do another knot, cut off past the knot and seal with flame as above.

6) prepare a small amount of 5min. Araldite and dab a small amount on the knot inside the hood. (I said small amount didn't I) Wriggle the cord a little bit to make a small amount of Araldite to come through the hole on the other side. (See picture 7). Now let the door dangle until the Araldite has cured. After this repeat the process with the door and let the hood dangle.

When the Araldite is fully cured you can dab a bit of matte black paint on the little blob of Araldite, and the job is done.

Last edited by Schraubstock; 02-16-2013 at 01:48 AM.
12-25-2010, 05:55 AM   #2
Forum Member

GREAT diy tip!
12-25-2010, 08:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Good Idea! I don't think one can buy just the little door.
12-25-2010, 09:01 AM   #4
Pentaxian

That's a good idea, although it would be nice if Pentax came up with a solution to the problem (even if just making inexpensive replacements readily available.)

Paul

12-25-2010, 10:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
Good Idea! I don't think one can buy just the little door.
I wish....

I lost mine when we all fell in a river, that's the K10 with kit lens and me.
12-25-2010, 04:40 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
I wish....

I lost mine when we all fell in a river, that's the K10 with kit lens and me.
What? You lost the door with lens and camera still attached to it?
I don't think my invention would have saved you.
Did you throw yourself into the river to get the new K5? Bit extreme is it not?
Greetings from sunny Melbourne
12-25-2010, 06:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

One could probably just re-purpose one of those sticky lens-cap keepers, although this is a much more elegant (if involved) solution.

12-29-2010, 10:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

This is a good idea.

These filter doors are easily lost as are the covers which protect the flash connections on the top of your camera. They are tiny and almost certain to go missing the second you remove them as I did with the flash cover for my K10. As I recall it cost seven or eight dollars to get a replacement part. I suspect the filter doors are equally expensive for what they are.

I believe these filter doors are found on the DA* 60~250, DA* 50~135, DA* 16~50 and possible a few other lenses and permit access to a circular polarizer. It you use a circular polarizer on a regular basis this might be a very good idea indeed.

Tom G
12-29-2010, 05:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Ive used tape up to now, schraubs ideal looks so clean that it seems well worth the effort
F.W.I.W. woven or braided line pictured can be bought at sporting goods stores
labled as backing line for bait casting fishing reels. stuffs tough and very flexible(polyester)