Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2010, 10:43 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks, Pentax for this Christmas gift?

I notices couple of days ago that my DA*60-250 is not actually that.
I had used this lens almost entirely within 60 to 140mm range until I got my DA100mm WR lens.
When using more the longer end of the range, I started to wonder why it seemed to achieve the same reach as my old F80-200 and finally made the test, just to find out that I have a DA*60-195mm lens (a bit less reach than the F80-200).

I made a contact with Pentax through online chat and got instructions to contact closed dealer, which is on Uruguay. Wrote them and got answer that they have nothing to do with Pentax. Checking out the international Pentax site (the Uruguayan dealer is there too), I found out that the next closed dealer is in Brazil, but there's no web site info (did google, but with no luck), only phone numbers and I don't speak Portuguese. Then I wrote to the dealer in Panama and got no answer. Finally two days ago (23rd), I wrote to Pentax Inc. and got no answer.

The thing is, my international warranty is expiring tomorrow and I will be stuck with a faulty lens. I know, I should have checked the lens thoroughly when received it from Amazon.com, but this still sucks. Do I have to switch to canikon as they have local service? I don't want to as I like Pentax stuff a lot (actually was thinking of getting K-5 next year).

12-25-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Morning,

I would write via email - today, Pentax (where ever the international warranty cites) - explaining that you had contacted them and were advised to go through the retailer (wasting valuable time), and that your warranty is expiring - today. That, should tie your warranty claim to a date within the warranty period, just in case that becomes an issue.

The overall problem that you are experiencing is not that it has been damaged and when (within the warranty period), but that it was built incorrectly, in that you have lost 20% of the lens's focal range - 55mm which is significant. I would also think that would help.

The other thing is to just persistent - Pentax should make arrangements to accept back the lens and to repair it. Sending you back to the retailer was in my opinion - just flat out wrong.

I would also follow up through the chat line again, on Monday - again to tie the claim to a date - and cut and past in to a file I would save (and perhaps print it out). I have read a couple of other threads over time, that Pentax is usually not that date specific (to the day, hour, second) on their warranty period.

Hope that helps, and hope you are having a very Merry Christmas....

12-25-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Test again at infinity focus. I think the lens is an internal focus zoom, so it won't go to 250mm unless it's focused to infinity. Google "internal focus zoom focal length changes" for lots of other non-Pentax lenses with the same design.
12-26-2010, 01:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Unless the zoom ring does not go to 250 I don't think it is a defect. I have read many times that some lenses have a shorter effective focal length when focused closer than infinity.