Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-25-2010, 02:36 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Which Extender/Teleconverter for Bokina?

Hey guys,

I just had the luck to purchase an "exceptional" copy of the Tokina 90mm f2.5 Macro in KA mount off of ebay. Unfortunately it didn't come with the macro extender or case.

My question to you fellow Bokina owners (and other knowledgeable souls) is which extender/teleconverter to look for.

As far as I know my options are:
Tokina Macro Extender
Vivitar S1 Macro Extender
Tamron 2x Teleconverter

My only request is that it passes along the "A" setting. I imagine all three do this, so beyond that I'm not sure which one to get. Any suggestions? I haven't ever used a teleconverter/extender, so I'm a bit naive on that front.

Thanks!

12-25-2010, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Hey guys,

I just had the luck to purchase an "exceptional" copy of the Tokina 90mm f2.5 Macro in KA mount off of ebay. Unfortunately it didn't come with the macro extender or case.

My question to you fellow Bokina owners (and other knowledgeable souls) is which extender/teleconverter to look for.

As far as I know my options are:
Tokina Macro Extender
Vivitar S1 Macro Extender
Tamron 2x Teleconverter

My only request is that it passes along the "A" setting. I imagine all three do this, so beyond that I'm not sure which one to get. Any suggestions? I haven't ever used a teleconverter/extender, so I'm a bit naive on that front.

Thanks!
I had a go on that auction as well (although I did not even come in second; I already have the Vivitar one but wanted PK/A if I could get it cheep enough), congratulations. You will love it, and I actually think you got a nice price on it.

There is really only one right option. That is the matching Tokina AT-X Macro extender. Note that when Tokina made this lens, they make both PK, and PK-A versions, and so likewise the extender comes in both PK and PK/A (the one that can pass the A setting) versions. You will have to be patient and wait for one to show up in PK/A (should be able to find one within a year, maybe more as these are the hardest to find, and the cost will reflect this). You could always get (in the meantime) a simple extension tube with A contacts (I would prefer this by far over a teleconverter that degrades the image), but you will want the proper extender (since it has correction elements) if you are really going to be doing significant work in the 1:2-1:1 range. The Vivitar Series 1 version of the extender alas is PK only, no A contacts. No other converters are the same, a tube witht these three optical correcting elements.

You might as well, since it will take a little time anyway before one probably pops up, see if you really need it (since you already have a 1:1 macro lens, you may already know how often you shoot in the 1:2 to 1:1 range). As the lens is by itself, it focuses down to 1:2--I have never actually used the extender on mine, as I generally don't go closer (maybe 5% of my macro lens shots are closer, as the DOF gets so much smaller, and you really start needing a tripod ). The downside to the extender is that your focus range with it added becomes 1:2 to 1:1; if you want less, you have to take the extender off.

Last edited by macTak; 12-25-2010 at 03:10 PM.
12-25-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
I had a go on that auction as well (although I did not even come in second; I already have the Vivitar one but wanted PK/A if I could get it cheep enough), congratulations. You will love it, and I actually think you got a nice price on it.

There is really only one right option. That is the matching Tokina AT-X Macro extender. Note that when Tokina made this lens, they make both PK, and PK-A versions, and so likewise the extender comes in both PK and PK/A (the one that can pass the A setting) versions. You will have to be patient and wait for one to show up in PK/A (should be able to find one within a year, maybe more as these are the hardest to find, and the cost will reflect this). You could always get (in the meantime) a simple extension tube with A contacts (I would prefer this by far over a teleconverter that degrades the image), but you will want the proper extender (since it has correction elements) if you are really going to be doing significant work in the 1:2-1:1 range. The Vivitar Series 1 version of the extender alas is PK only, no A contacts. No other converters are the same, a tube witht these three optical correcting elements.

You might as well, since it will take a little time anyway before one probably pops up, see if you really need it (since you already have a 1:1 macro lens, you may already know how often you shoot in the 1:2 to 1:1 range). As the lens is by itself, it focuses down to 1:2--I have never actually used the extender on mine, as I generally don't go closer (maybe 5% of my macro lens shots are closer, as the DOF gets so much smaller, and you really start needing a tripod ). The downside to the extender is that your focus range with it added becomes 1:2 to 1:1; if you want less, you have to take the extender off.
Thanks for the reply macTak...I wondered if I was bidding against others on this forum. Sorry you didn't win it...I felt like I was bidding against friends! I wish they were still in production or more available. I'm just surprised they go for so cheap considering the reviews I've seen...I'd expect the prices to match the A* series.

Unfortunately my 50mm macro is only 1:2 so I can't judge...but at least I won't know what I'm missing.

Thanks for the sound advice, that's exactly what I needed to know. I'll start hunting for that matching PK/A extender, and perhaps get an extension tube in the mean time.

Best wishes to you in finding a PK/A copy!!