Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2010, 07:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Tamron 17-50 f2.8 Serial # and focusing issue...

Please excuse, as this topic may have been discussed ad nauseum, but simply curious...

I am considering a used Tammy 17-50 from eBay seller "matsuiyastore", (who has excellent FB, both on eBay and from posts i've read here on the forum)

Lens is SN 012593. Made in Japan. I realize the SN "in a vacuum" may not be indicative of anything, (i.e., the #'s sequence can denote plant location, manufacture date, etc and may not be informative re: when exactly lens was manufactured.)

I have gathered the following from other threads- allegedly earlier copies had more front focusing issues, as did "Made in Japan" copies. Validity? Perhaps, perhaps not. Any thoughts?... I realize the caveats of buying used glass, seller rep notwithstanding, yet I'd like to be aware of statistics, if relevant. Any body of data or buyer experience that leads to conclusion that Japanese manufactured copies or copies from earlier manufacture runs tended to have higher % of focusing issues? ....and would the SN 012593 have any timetable/manufacture date relevance at first blush?

Appreciated in advance-

12-26-2010, 07:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm coming up on 3 years shooting this lens on my K20d--I have not heeard of any statistics which will help determine probability of getting a lens with focus issue. I have read, with consistency, that the made in Japan models are more desirable.

I would consider this if I were you. Firstly, what kind of warranty is the seller offering in this specifc circumstance? This is key, since, as an owner of the lens, he/she must be full aware of the tension surrounding a purchase of the 17-50mm due to FF/BF issues.

Secondly, the lens ( I own one--15k shots now) is awesome when right. It is worth buying brand new, in store, where you can try copies of the lens out, before you try your credit card out.
12-26-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Jewelltrail-
understood. I also had a copy for my Canon body and was delighted with its IQ/value offering. The seller I cited...no warranty save a seven day return policy, but I'd be reluctant to get into the cost of returning a lens international to Japan ($$) should i indeed find issue.

Seller was asking $300 shipped. B&H price is $419 after rebate til 12/31. Local brick and mortar stores (Tamron authorized dealer) is asking $509 but he's willing to work with me understanding B&H/Adorama pricing is often the gold standard (yet i realize the markup due to being just that, storefront brick n mortar).

Moral of the story, i believe, is given the uncertainty, the extra $100 or so may be well spent for the piee of mind.

:-D Now just the creeping decision on the Tammy 17-50 or the Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4 Macro OS HSM. Wondering if the OS in the Sigma really gives "x" f-stop amount of stabilization advantage over the Pentax in-body SR. (LOL....FL or constant 2.8, thats my dilemma.)

Curious, jewelltrail, you heard any FB on the new Sigma 17-70?

thnx much
12-26-2010, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I read reports here that 17-50 can be bought, with a return policy, from Prodigital for $380. Yes, in-lens stabilization is reported better than in-body, but it loses some of its advantage @ wide angle. I do not see a lot of appeal for in-lens on these focal lengths, nor would I want to pay for stabilization twice, especially for incremental gains.

By new Sigma lens, do you mean the 17-50mm f 2.8? This is their big, new release in wide to normal.