Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2010, 10:28 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
no worries mate...Im in no hurry..not buying before January...but the more I think of the 60-250..the more I like it..just need something to tip me over the edge..

theres a few images in a thread here, captured in studio from the 60-250 ...they look very good, i just got to get over its a F4 rather than a 2.8
Since you already have a K5 the decision to buy a f2.8 or f4 lense becomes less of an issue than it would on the K7 for example. Distance will lower DoF with a long lense and the high ISO ability of the K5 means you don't necessarily have to have ultra-fast lenses for lower light levels.

Personally I have taken that out of the equation - which means my personal choice is between the 60-250 and the *300 - with the former winning the race at the moment. YMMV.

12-29-2010, 01:17 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
yep true enough froggy...but as you will be right out to 250mm most of the time [ if your considering a 300mm over this lens that safe to assume }. the F4 will give you the shallow DOF...but i doubt id be at that end all the time...

take a look at that shot of the young lad that Dgaies posted on the footpath....its at 128mm F4. the DOF isnt as shallow as Id like. 2.8 would have isolated him a bit more id say......but once Dgaies has done the sample shots i asked for..Im gonna be in a better informed position to choose
12-29-2010, 02:06 PM   #33
Veteran Member

EDIT

in a earlier post you expressed that the Tamron was quicker in AF..but my be due to more light at 2.8.....could you retest each lens at F4..and tell me you findings...just so each AF is getting the same light and as such a level playing field test
Just saw this addition while reading back through the thread. As far as I understand, this won't have any bearing on the outcome as the amount of light the AF sensor sees is a function of the lens' maximum aperture and not the actual aperture you're shooting at (similar to how the VF is brighter for an f/2.8 lens vs an f/4 lens regardless of what aperture you're shooting at).
01-01-2011, 05:14 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Dgaies

any luck with those test shots mate ? :}

dont have to go mad...Id just like to see the sharpness at 200 mm compared with the Tamron ..both at F4 please....plus the Bokeh of each at that focal length ..

cheers
Steve

01-01-2011, 05:24 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Dgaies

any luck with those test shots mate ? :}

dont have to go mad...Id just like to see the sharpness at 200 mm compared with the Tamron ..both at F4 please....plus the Bokeh of each at that focal length ..

cheers
Steve
Not yet. Though in my defense, it's only 7am here and the sun isn't quite up yet. I wouldn't normally be up now either, but my 4 and 1 year old had different ideas about me sleeping in on New Year's.
01-01-2011, 05:33 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
no worries mate.. i remember those years very well.

LBA is getting the better of me..ive a lump of cash I need to spend...plus ive just been testing the HSM II..I need another to replace it

we are thinking of going to bed here...new years day is almost gone...

happy new year Bro...
01-01-2011, 05:47 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
the Tamron is sharper than the Sigma..no question of it...but for me it was not a option due to the reasons I mentioned earlier

The Tamron may be sharper than the new Sigmas but not the MK1 APO EX version.
I did extensive testing between all of them (Tamron/Sigma MK1/Sigma HSM) after waiting months for a copy of the MK1 to come up on Ebay and it came in first for wide open sharpness at 200mm, followed by the Tamron and then the Sigma HSM.

I have since bought a Pentax 60-250mm which is a lovely lens, better colour rendition and superior focal length. The extra stop is made up for by the K-5 but the AF speed (although quicker on the K-5) is still not up with the 70-200mm (screw drive) Sigma.

I will say that the 60-250mm is just much much nicer to use on the K-5 than any previous Pentax DSLR.

Still cant get rid of my SIgma 70-200mm though.
01-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
mike

Id never get rid of that Sigma either, as you'll wait a very long to for another to come along...

how is the VF brightness of the pentax and the sigma compare? and hows the sharpness of the pentax versus the sigma at the long and short end

01-02-2011, 06:28 PM   #39
Veteran Member

no worries mate.. i remember those years very well.

LBA is getting the better of me..ive a lump of cash I need to spend...plus ive just been testing the HSM II..I need another to replace it

we are thinking of going to bed here...new years day is almost gone...

happy new year Bro...
Well the weather were wasn't cooperation this weekend so I didn't get a chance to take many test shots. I did make an attempt to take a couple indoors, but looking at them closely I'm not 100% sure if I nailed the focus on one of them and so I can't tell for certain if the softness is due to being slightly out-of-focus or because the lenses is just not as sharp at those settings. I'll try to retest in the next couple days to get a better comparison.

FWIW, trying to manually focus the Tamron using LV was very difficult. The slightest movement on the focus ring and everything went out. I found it really hard to move in sufficiently small increments. I tried AF too, but I was hoping to leave AF accuracy and potential FF/BF issues out of this comparison.
01-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I tried LV in Af mode with the sigma 70-200..at both ends of the focal length..that lens didn't like it one bit...LV is useless with it..whereas the 17-70 sigma is spot on in all lighting conditions using the LV..

poxy weather ..never mind ole son..when you get a chance next...Id appreciate it :}
07-31-2011, 08:14 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Hi guys. I'm in the same boat as the OP here and I'm curious as to how this all panned out. This thread died 5 months ago so hopefully one of you still subscribe and get this message.

Cheers.
08-01-2011, 01:01 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Well I have the 60-250mm and it is a great lens. Did think about Sigma, but I could get the 60-250 for a nice deal second hand. I'm less optimistic about SDM failure. If I want to use this lens for the coming 10 years then I think the SDM wil fail on me, having it replaced. That is actually just a matter of ophysics, that things of electronics wil brake. On the other hand I don't want K-lenses with no electronics.

Just bought DA*200mm/f2.8 to solve my issue with the lightstop loss on the long end.
08-09-2011, 07:43 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Thanks for the reply Ron. I have been considering replacing my Sigma APO 70-200 HSM II zoom due to it's weight more than anything else as I like the picture quality. I tested a 60-250 up against a Sigma 70-200 OS and I felt that the Sigma was better re' aberrations, and possibly resolution, but I tried a DA* 200mm f2.8 the other day that really put a spanner in the works as it's just so damn sharp (It also suffers from purple fringing pretty badly). The aforementioned Sigma 70-200 OS did suffer from purple fringes on specular highlights, although not as badly as the 200 f2.8. I realize that these problems can be corrected in software so it's no deal breaker as such. The Pentax lenses seem to have some kind of aesthetic re' colour and contrast which just 'looks' better for me but maybe it's just my bias or 'imagination', I don't know. Chromatic aberrations towards the edges of the frames in the Pentax zooms I've tried (50-135 & 60-250) are definitely more pronounced than even my Sigma 70-250 HSM II though.. so it's a tad confusing trying to consider my next move.

Last edited by bossa; 08-10-2011 at 12:37 AM.
08-10-2011, 07:19 PM   #44
Site Supporter

For what its worth, I went through the same exercise trying to decide whether to buy the Sigma/Tamron 70-200 or the Pentax 60-250. I eventually bought the 60-250 and I really like it. It was good enough to replace the 50-135 for me and has a much more useful range.....for myself. I feel like I gave up nothing in terms of sharpness in the 60-135 range and am pleased with its sharpness throughout its range. If I take a bad picture with it, I can usually track it back to me.
08-10-2011, 09:12 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I'm curious as to how this all panned out.
How it panned out: OP sold me the lens and moved onto Nikon and bought the Nikkor 70-200VR/2.8 or something like that.