Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2010, 01:47 PM   #1

Using old len on K-X

I just posted this up in the general slr section, but maybe I should have posted it here.

Anyhow, I'm new to digital cameras, having held on to my 35 mm film cameras forever. This is no doubt an ignorant question, but I'll ask anyhow.

I have a newly acquired Pentax K-x, which I like. I also have an old Pentax ZX-M, and an even older Pentax MV.

I have a nice Vivitar zoom lens I bought for the MV. I occasionally used int on the ZX-M by just setting the settings manually and hoping for the best.

Is there anyway that this lens can be used with the K-X? Is there any sort of adapter, etc., that would allow for this to be done? For that matter, I have a variety of old lenses for the MV I'd like to still use with the newer camera, and I'd like to use the ZX-M lens on the new camera. I assume I can use the ZX-M lens.

In my area, 35mm film is getting really hard to get and develop, so I'm glad to have the digital camera. But I'd like to be able to keep using the old lenses. Is there an adapter or something that would allow this to be done?

12-26-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If that Vivitar zoom fits the MV then you need no adapter to use it on the K-x. Just mount it.

If the lens has no 'A' setting on the aperture ring then you'll have to set an option in custom functions menu #22 to permit use of an aperture ring. With that done you set the mode dial to 'M', compose your shot, set the aperture on the lens and hit the +/-Av button (I believe; I don't have a K-x. If that doesn't do it, try the green button) - this will set the shutter speed. Then you fire.
12-26-2010, 05:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

What Ole said. Virtually every lens ever made for any Pentax-compatible camera will work on your Kx. (*) Any lens that mounts on your MV or ZX-M will also fit on your Kx without an adapter. I often swap lenses between my ZX-M and K20D. See Using Manual Lenses on Pentax DSLRs for details on usage. Screwmount lenses (M42 or M39) WILL require an adapter.

(*) Expect a chorus of users to supply lists of exceptions. And someone will mention the dreaded Ricoh pin. Just wait...

Last edited by RioRico; 12-27-2010 at 01:53 AM.
12-26-2010, 06:52 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you insist.

12-27-2010, 11:31 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you everyone. This has been very helpful.
12-27-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
If that Vivitar zoom fits the MV then you need no adapter to use it on the K-x. Just mount it.

If the lens has no 'A' setting on the aperture ring then you'll have to set an option in custom functions menu #22 to permit use of an aperture ring. With that done you set the mode dial to 'M', compose your shot, set the aperture on the lens and hit the +/-Av button (I believe; I don't have a K-x. If that doesn't do it, try the green button) - this will set the shutter speed. Then you fire.
On the K-x, you use the +/- ev button to lock in the shutter speed in M mode. I don't own any manual PK lenses, but it's my understanding you can't use them in Av/Aperature Priority mode because they will only fire wide open. M42 lenses with the adapter will work in Av mode, although they have a tendency to underexpose.
12-28-2010, 09:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Ira is right, non A series PK lenses (K and M) will not work right in aperture Priority mode, because the camera has no way of knowing what aperture you're using. It will shoot, but always as if wide open. Changing the aperture seemed to make no difference when I tried it. I run mine all in M mode, letting the +/- EV button set the shutter speed, manually setting the aperture. It does a pretty good job of setting the exposure, as long as I remember to do it when the sun goes behind the clouds...

A series lenses will work in Av mode, mine works great but I prefer M for it too.

12-28-2010, 12:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
Ira is right, non A series PK lenses (K and M) will not work right in aperture Priority mode, because the camera has no way of knowing what aperture you're using.
For another layer of confusion: a K- or M-series lens from Pentax has an aperture stop-down linkage flag on its base. This does not engage when in Av mode. In M mode, the Green button DOES engage this flag, giving stopped-down metering and exposure.

But many third-party PK (Pentax K-mount) lenses do NOT have such a linkage flag. These act the same as an M42 screwmount lens on a adapter: the camera simply uses whatever aperture you set. No need to press the Green button! But stopping down below f/11, the viewfinder looks mighty dim...

The slight inconvenience of using M- and K-series and flagless lenses helps drive up prices of A-series manual-focus lenses. All newer series (F, FA, DA) are autofocus and auto-aperture, and don't suffer such mechanical limitations, nor suffer Shake Reduction (SR) communications problems. But that's another issue.