Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2011, 11:24 PM   #151
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
Aren't the 300mm F4 of the big two companies pretty old and physically larger compared to the DA* 300mm F4 SDM? I'm really happy with mine so far. I don't know how they compare optically, but the Canon one is slightly more expensive and the the Nikon one is a lot more.
Yeah, you're probably right about that one too. So I guess half the current DA* lineup is outdated and overpriced.

What I want to know is, is the new DC SDM motor more reliable? Surely 90% of the new 18-135mm lenses out there have failed by now, right?

01-21-2011, 11:29 PM   #152
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Aren't the 300mm F4 of the big two companies pretty old and physically larger compared to the DA* 300mm F4 SDM? I'm really happy with mine so far. I don't know how they compare optically, but the Canon one is slightly more expensive and the the Nikon one is a lot more.
Actually I was referring to the 2 problematic DA* zooms. the 3rd-party alternatives are better as of the moment and they are coming out with new models. just recently, Sigma came out with the 17-50. the Tamron 70-200 and Sigma 70-200 are better options when it comes to reliability, not to mention longer focal length reach. no overlaps nor duplicate focal lengths between zooms.
01-21-2011, 11:31 PM   #153
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hound Tooth Quote
Yeah, you're probably right about that one too. So I guess half the current DA* lineup is outdated and overpriced.

What I want to know is, is the new DC SDM motor more reliable? Surely 90% of the new 18-135mm lenses out there have failed by now, right?
well, you still have to wait 1 to 2 years right after the warranty has expired to find that out.
01-24-2011, 01:29 AM   #154
Veteran Member

I think Pentax will never allow to select and use screwdrive AF on SDM lenses. Allowing that in the firmware of the camera would be kind of admitting that there are issues with SDM. And we all know that Pentax doesn't want to (and probably never will) admit any SDM issues, as usual they rather remain silent and pretend everything is perfect.

01-24-2011, 01:56 AM - 1 Like   #155
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
I think Pentax will never allow to select and use screwdrive AF on SDM lenses. Allowing that in the firmware of the camera would be kind of admitting that there are issues with SDM.
Oh please, they can wrap it up in some shiny marketing to make themselves look like heroes:

"To cater to the needs of our professional photographers, Pentax has included its newest development in the upcoming firmware update: the ability to enable legacy auto-focusing on select lenses which are equipped with SDM auto-focus motors! As an industry-first, Pentax users will have auxiliary access to a proven method of auto-focusing in the unlikely event that the SDM motor requires repair or replacement. This latest development continues the Pentax tradition of providing its customers with innovative features not available from any other camera manufacturer."

And so on, and so forth, blablabla. That old excuse about "admitting SDM sucks" is a bunch of hogwash.
01-24-2011, 02:14 AM   #156
Veteran Member

If there really was an issue, the used value of these lenses would go down. Currently they sell For about 100 dollars or so off their new value. If everyone made a thread going its been two years and no SDM issue, I am sure it would by far outnumber the ones that have been created about it. If there was a problem beyond issues at the factory, there would have been a redesign by now.

Also, If you want things like longer warranty's on consumer products written in law, You have to get up and demand it because Congress is not going to give it to you.

Last edited by Chwisch87; 01-24-2011 at 08:24 AM.
01-24-2011, 10:16 AM   #157
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chwisch87 Quote
If there really was an issue, the used value of these lenses would go down. Currently they sell For about 100 dollars or so off their new value. If everyone made a thread going its been two years and no SDM issue, I am sure it would by far outnumber the ones that have been created about it. If there was a problem beyond issues at the factory, there would have been a redesign by now.

Also, If you want things like longer warranty's on consumer products written in law, You have to get up and demand it because Congress is not going to give it to you.
apparently, not everyone wants to sell their lens that would put them in a significant loss and I believe, it would be unethical to sell a non-working lens. the dilemma here is that you never know when the lens is going to fail which is like playing russian roulette. stats about the number of non-working SDM lens are difficult to determine since not everyone participates in a forum like this, not to mention that Pentax refused to comment on the existence of such a problem. if such a problem doesn't really exist, then why is it difficult for Pentax to say it's not true? regardless of the statistical numbers, the presence of complaints coming from Pentax users,not to mention proven professionals and solid Pentax advocates should be no doubt affirm the existence of such a problem.

there had been some online petition and complaints from individuals on regarding the issue, sadly Pentax has yet to answer the phone. so why blame the complainant?

01-24-2011, 11:03 AM   #158
Inactive Account

I bought a DA* 16-50 3 weeks ago... sent it to a local Pentax service shop along with my K20d for focus calibration since it was back focusing
when I get it back (in a day or two), I ll form my opinion about it
what I can say is that SDM is REALLY quiet .. if I didn't expect it to be really silent I would have thought the lens isn't focusing at all
01-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #159
Inactive Account

yes, the DA* 300/4 seems to be a real gem
01-24-2011, 11:25 AM   #160
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dankoBanana Quote
what I can say is that SDM is REALLY quiet .. if I didn't expect it to be really silent I would have thought the lens isn't focusing at all
Yes, SDM is very quiet...especially when it is not working!
01-25-2011, 04:40 PM   #161
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Chwisch87 Quote
If there really was an issue, the used value of these lenses would go down. Currently they sell For about 100 dollars or so off their new value.
I can't see any flaw in that reasoning. It's perfectly sound and reasonable. You are a master debater. You have convinced me that black is white, the sky is green, and mosquitoes are only trying to show us their appreciation by kissing us. Congratulations.

"People who don't know any better are still willing to pay $100 less than retail price for this lens, therefore it is flawless."

Truly priceless...
01-25-2011, 04:40 PM   #162
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Yes, SDM is very quiet...especially when it is not working!
I beg to differ, I hear some distinctly loud swearing noises whenever my SDM fails.
01-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #163
Inactive Account

all this "SDM failure" wouldn't be such an issue if they offered a 3 year guarantee for their DA* lenses
01-25-2011, 05:59 PM   #164
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hound Tooth Quote
I can't see any flaw in that reasoning. It's perfectly sound and reasonable. You are a master debater. You have convinced me that black is white, the sky is green, and mosquitoes are only trying to show us their appreciation by kissing us. Congratulations.

"People who don't know any better are still willing to pay $100 less than retail price for this lens, therefore it is flawless."

Truly priceless...
Or most people realize the chance of SDM failure during the first year is actually (far) less than 50%. Given that, a $100 spread on a $200 potential repair isn't really a terrible option, statistically speaking. Plus, in reality, the spread on a used vs new DA* lens is closer to $150-200 depending on the model. At that spread I would be much more nervous buying new. At least if I buy used and save $200, I could (in theory) set that money aside for the "inevitable repair" down the road. If you buy new and it fails on day 366, you're out of luck altogether.

FWIW, I bought the 4 SDM lenses I own used for a total of over $1000 less than the total price they would have cost new. So unless I get 4-5 SDM failures while I own the lenses, I'm going to try not to worry too much about the possibility of an SDM failure.

Again, I'm not saying there isn't a QC issue and I do feel Pentax really dropped the ball by not addressing the issue more directly from the start. A longer warranty period and acknowledgement of the issue would be great; I just don't see either of those things happening any time soon.

Last edited by dgaies; 01-25-2011 at 06:34 PM.
01-25-2011, 06:37 PM   #165
Veteran Member

I think for a lot of people the primary concern is really more the annoyance than the money. At least it would be for me, if I owned any SDM lenses. I guess this makes me one of those ridiculous people who posts about problems when they don't even have the product in question