Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2010, 11:20 AM   #46

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
Looks like every post in this thread try to keep you with pentax - so me too ;-) Also seems like the thread is off-track a bit.

I do portrait most of the time, bokeh is a must. I m using k20, umbrella and my lens for portrait is da*50-135.

The aperture does not be wide open all time, but should not be smaller than f4. By planning distance to subject and distance to background, I get the bokeh I want. For a typical living room with some open space like the entry or kitchen, when distance subject-background>3m/10feet and distance to subject>2m/6feet, the bokeh is just perfect. I don't really care which pentax body I use, as long as the light is good and I can keep the safe distance for DOF portraiture.

Give the lens a try. Let me know if you need sample image.
Best regards.
Yes I would love to see some portrait examples, thank you! I'm having trouble making that final decision to leave so apparently I really do want to stay with Pentax. I'm now telling myself just try the K-5 and see what happens. Should I get it and all my current lenses focus just fine on it I would be one very happy camper. I've been looking at the 35-150 2.8 and from the reviews it looks like it would satisfy my 85 craving and then some.

12-30-2010, 11:26 AM   #47

Original Poster
I would love to talk with Todd, thanks so much for the heads up. My eyesight can't be trusted to manual focus since turning 40 but I use to shoot manual everything in my film days (also Pentax).
I've had the Nikon and the Pentax gear in and out of my cart several times and the Pentax always comes out ahead and I know for the most part it's better built as well.
Thanks for the thoughtful replies!
12-30-2010, 11:31 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Framed Quote
I would love to talk with Todd, thanks so much for the heads up. My eyesight can't be trusted to manual focus since turning 40 but I use to shoot manual everything in my film days (also Pentax).
I've had the Nikon and the Pentax gear in and out of my cart several times and the Pentax always comes out ahead and I know for the most part it's better built as well.
Thanks for the thoughtful replies!

I just added a split image screen to my k7 along with a M +3 diopter correction lens (3 is my prescription), much easier and faster manual focusing now (and My eyes are 50)
12-30-2010, 05:01 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Bokeh sample images for da*50-135:

Sorry, I dont know how to attach an image in a thread, but here you may find them:
http://picasaweb.google.com/hoanpham001/SampleImages?authkey=Gv1sRgCI2HvbbWtZHm4AE#

Picasa may tweak some of the extif/meta data.
Distance to subject ~6feet/2meter for all images.
Distance subject-background 1st image ~10feet/3meter
Distance subject-background 2nd/3rd image 3-4feet/1-1.5meter

Best regards.

Last edited by hoanpham; 12-30-2010 at 05:46 PM.
12-30-2010, 09:47 PM - 1 Like   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
You might Also PM Todd Adamson who has both Nikon and Pentax and shoots primarily Portraiture for his input. He's new to Pentax and seems to really love it
If I'm not mistaken he has both a Nikon D3 and a K5
(and apparently just took the leap back and bought a Bronica SQai 6x6 Film camera)
I know he actually prefers manual focus to AF even when the lens has the option but he could give a good read on the system differences.
Wow, somebody's been paying attention!

I already replied to the OP's PM, but that was before reading this thread. As rooted as you are in Pentax, I think you owe it to yourself to get your hands on a K-5 and try it. I am thoroughly impressed with what that body can do, and the quality of the files, and of course the available glass. I heard about the AF issues in low tungsten light, and could not reproduce them at first, but when I got low enough, I saw the problem. However, as a portrait photog, I would never be trying to get sellable prints in those light conditions, so the K-5 works for me. When the light's good, the AF as been right on.

I have moved into manual focus relatively recently (and my eyes are not great, btw....I improved a lot, and quickly, with practice), mainly due to the quality of some of the lenses available, most notably Zeiss. However, I cannot part with my Nikkor 70-200/2.8. It's probably the best "all-around" lens ever created for full frame, and there are times when I want AF, and good tracking. But it's still a zoom, and still "only" 2.8, and when I want the best possible files with regard to sharpness and clarity, I go to my Zeiss 100/2 Makro-Planar on the D3, or, now, the ZK-35 on the K-5.

But if I were shooting moving kids a lot, I'd be using the D3+70-200 a lot. Pricey, but the tracking accuracy is unbelievable. Here's an example of tracking on a very fast-moving target:

I'm just guessing I haven't helped your decision much. But as I said via PM, I'll be happy to answer any other questions you might have.
12-31-2010, 07:20 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Adamson Quote
Wow, somebody's been paying attention!
yep, the memory is going but not that bad yet.
BTW if your eyes aren't that good todd you might look at the various Diopter adapters. I'm a +3 for my right eye so I ordered the M+3 diopter adapter to go with my k7. Huge improvement in MF my hit rate went up immediately (particularly in low light)

Great pic of the pooch BTW, When I got my MZ5 Way back when it first came to market one of the things that appealed was the Tracking AF (which was new then and not very good) I managed to get one of my old dog then running through the snow towards me but I used a much Higher F stop, this shot would not have been possible without a great deal of luck
12-31-2010, 12:54 PM   #52

Original Poster
That's a beautiful shot! My friend has that lens and although she says she doesn't use it much, every time I see a shot I love of hers it was taken with that lens.

Thanks again, you actually did help a lot!
12-31-2010, 01:01 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Framed Quote
That's a beautiful shot! My friend has that lens and although she says she doesn't use it much, every time I see a shot I love of hers it was taken with that lens.

Thanks again, you actually did help a lot!
I'm very conflicted about that lens. While it has the best IQ of any zoom I've ever shot, I really do see a difference in rendering with some of my manual focus glass, not only the Zeiss, but even older Nikkor AI primes. But the difference is subtle, and something maybe not everyone would see, especially in small prints and web-sized files.

So, wanting the BEST possible IQ, I usually resort to other lenses. But then when I feel I have to have AF, and zoom is helpful (such as events and weddings, which I don't shoot anymore), I get out the 70-200, and without fail, I am amazed at how fast, accurate and sharp the lens is. It's trying to make me lazy.

But it's also a honkin' big hunk o' glass, which is not only a pain to carry around, but it also attracts attention, which annoys me.

Anyway, good luck with your decision!

12-31-2010, 01:42 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Adamson Quote

But it's also a honkin' big hunk o' glass, which is not only a pain to carry around, but it also attracts attention, which annoys me.

Anyway, good luck with your decision!
I take it your not a fan of canon's massive "look at me" white lenses than?
01-01-2011, 08:24 PM   #55

Original Poster
Just a quick end note on this thread for me. I have decided to get the k 5 (after waiting out the sensor issue a bit longer) and the Pentax 50-135 2.8 lens. I think just buying the lens right now for my k10d is going to satisfy my cravings until I feel I can buy the k5 with confidence.
I don't mind a big hunky lens on my camera, in fact I rather like it, (call me superficial) but I can't afford the Nikon fast zooms and I truly feel the quality in Pentax can't be beat. Not to mention the value.
Hopefully one day I will get my hands on a Pentax 85 1.4...oh to dream.

Thanks again for being such a great place to hang out and get advice. This is such a knowledgeable forum!