Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2010, 07:47 PM   #1

Why no fast Pentax lenses?

By fast I mean 1.4 or 1.8. I have the 50m 1.4 and it rarely leaves my camera. However I want a fast zoom so bad I'm about to jump ship. I love my Pentax cameras but want/need some fast lens options. I'm ready to upgrade my camera body so I'm seriously considering a switch in brands just to have some fast lens options.
Talk me out of it...tell me there is a wonderful fast zoom or prime option out there that I am over looking.
TIA!

12-26-2010, 07:59 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax offers some nice DA* zooms in the f2.8 range. Can you offer links to zoom lenses that are offering f1.8 and f1.4 speeds? I'd like to see them.

In the meantime, try to get your hands on some Pentax DA* lenses. I think you might reconsider jumping ship.

best,

germar
12-26-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
Banned

How many zooms faster than F2.8 exist out there from any manufacturer?

All the current FA Limiteds are F1.8/1.9. That covers a range from 31mm to 77mm.

There are a bunch of F2.8 lenses, both primes and zooms.
12-26-2010, 08:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Depends what you mean by a fast zoom. The fastest zooms you are going to find are constant f/2.8 zoom lenses. Pentax has a couple (16-50 and 50-135) and there are several 3rd party options for Pentax (17-50, 28-75, 50-150, 70-200). There are more f/2.8 zoom choices if you switch brands; Canon, for example, had a 16-35, 24-70 and 70-200 lens.

In terms of primes, Pentax still makes several fast primes; 31/1.8, 43/1.9, 50/1.4, 55/1.4 and77/1.8. Can't go wrong with any of those five primes. If you don't mind used glass, you can add the FA*85/1.4 and A50/1.2 to the list of fast glass. In terms of third party, fast primes, Sigma has a new 85/1.4 in addition to the 30/1.4 and 50/1.4 that they've been selling for a while.

Edit: I guess not one, but two people beat me to the reply

12-26-2010, 08:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Framed Quote
By fast I mean 1.4 or 1.8. I have the 50m 1.4 and it rarely leaves my camera. However I want a fast zoom so bad I'm about to jump ship. I love my Pentax cameras but want/need some fast lens options. I'm ready to upgrade my camera body so I'm seriously considering a switch in brands just to have some fast lens options.
Talk me out of it...tell me there is a wonderful fast zoom or prime option out there that I am over looking.
TIA!

Why not look up the lens database and see for yourself.
12-26-2010, 08:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

As others have said ... if you want to switch to Canon / Nikon then make sure it's for the right reason. Neither Canon nor Nikon make zooms faster than a constant 2.8 .. same as Pentax. If anyone did then not only would it be physically massive but also horrendously expensive !

The Olympus 35-100 mm f/2.0 is the fastest zoom available. Nikon & Canon don't have an equivalent. If you want fast primes then all manufacturers have them.
12-26-2010, 09:26 PM   #7

Another point no one has mentioned yet, is that you may want to examine why a fast (1.8 or 1.4) zoom is a requirement for your self. At a given ISO that only represents 2 to 3 stops over a 2.8. With the low noise high ISO bodies, fast lenses are becoming obsolete. The exception is auto focus in dim light. Another point is that a wide open f-stop is usually not as sharp as lens stopped down to f8 or f11. What Pentax body are you using? What kind of images are you making? Are you able to use a tripod in your photography?

Jim

12-26-2010, 10:51 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick replies! I really appreciate it. Sorry I misspoke about the zoom lenses. A 24-70 2.8 is the lens I've been coveting that belongs to a Nikon friend. Also would love an 85 1.4/1.8 prime which I know Pentax use to make but I have yet to find one. I have been eyeing the 77 limited but I'm not sure it's going to give me enough of a difference over the 50 to warrant the cost. I'd much rather spend the money on a good fast zoom.

I currently am still shooting with the K10d. It's always had focusing issues even after having the auto focus motor repaired. It does pretty good with the 50mm but my Sigma 2.8 zoom is all but useless on it.

I do mainly portraits so I'm after a fast lens for the bokeh. Love me some bokeh. ) Low light is one of the reason I want to upgrade my body but even so, I love shooting wide open.

I'm looking to upgrade either to the K7 or Nikon 700 in the next couple of months. Lens choice is my driving factor right now. Hmmm perhaps I will be happier with the Sigma on a new body?

I really appreciate the replies.
12-27-2010, 12:20 AM   #9
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K10+FA 50 f1.4 -> I have used it. I have found the AF rather unprecise. At f1.4, the FA50 is not a very constrasted lens, it doesn't help the AF. Get a new body I would say.
12-27-2010, 03:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

For the range you want to cover then the absolutely outstanding Tamron 28-75/2.8 looks perfect. Check out The Tammy Thread here for superb examples. There are others, Sigma 28-70/2.8 for example too.
12-27-2010, 03:45 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Thanks for the quick replies! I really appreciate it. Sorry I misspoke about the zoom lenses. A 24-70 2.8 is the lens I've been coveting that belongs to a Nikon friend. Also would love an 85 1.4/1.8 prime which I know Pentax use to make but I have yet to find one. I have been eyeing the 77 limited but I'm not sure it's going to give me enough of a difference over the 50 to warrant the cost. I'd much rather spend the money on a good fast zoom.

I currently am still shooting with the K10d. It's always had focusing issues even after having the auto focus motor repaired. It does pretty good with the 50mm but my Sigma 2.8 zoom is all but useless on it.

I do mainly portraits so I'm after a fast lens for the bokeh. Love me some bokeh. ) Low light is one of the reason I want to upgrade my body but even so, I love shooting wide open.

I'm looking to upgrade either to the K7 or Nikon 700 in the next couple of months. Lens choice is my driving factor right now. Hmmm perhaps I will be happier with the Sigma on a new body?

I really appreciate the replies.
Why don't you consider upgrading to K-5? If you're considering fast zooms then money is probably not a factor so a K-5 with great high ISO capabilities, you probably won't even need a "fast" lens anymore
12-27-2010, 09:22 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm looking to upgrade either to the K7 or Nikon 700 in the next couple of months
Do you mean a Nikon D700 or D7000? Your friend's 24-70/2.8 lens has a significantly different FOV depending on whether it's used on a full frame or an APS-C camera. On the D700, its FOV is roughly equivalent to the Pentax DA* 16-50. So what sort of FOV are you really looking for in an f2.8 zoom?

I would also note that the Nikon 24-70/2.8 is a rather expensive lens: +$1,600.
12-27-2010, 10:19 AM   #13

Original Poster
That is a good question about the k-5. To be honest I've been thinking Nikon for a while and haven't paid a whole lot of attention to the newer Pentax Bodies. I need to go look around that section of the former a bit. My k10d has served me well. I had/have 645 N film camera before that which I still love. My loyalty is steeped in Pentax. However from all the reading I've done it seems Pentax is still lagging behind in autofocus and that's a hurdle I'm finding hard to jump over. I think I could solve my midterm zoom issue with some of the recommendations here but my focus experience with the K10 has me very hesitant to invest any further in Pentax especially with third party lenses. My loyalty to the brand works against that though. It's a pickle.
I'm actually looking at either the d700 or the d7000 and the d300s popped up as a possibility as well. Cost is an issue so I'm leaning toward a crop sensor with the full frame lens. It is a pricey lens but it is a gorgeous piece of glass. Puts my Sigma 24-70 2.8 to shame on either of my friends bodies. That is the range I'd like to cover right now, along with maybe a fast 85 or longer prime as well.
Thank you all for your insight! You've really got me thinking. I'm a long time lurker here but I find the advice here head and shoulders about other forums.
12-27-2010, 10:44 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Limiteds...

TIA!
best collection of primes in the photographic business, AND they're teeny, and relatively inexpensive...

If Canon made them, they'd all be $2,000.00...

The only fast zoom they're missing is perhaps a 100-400 equivalent at f=2.8, and a 250-600 f=4 or 5.6...I'm SURE they're on the way for the big bucks set...

Cameron
12-27-2010, 11:20 AM   #15
Pentaxian

That is a good question about the k-5. To be honest I've been thinking Nikon for a while and haven't paid a whole lot of attention to the newer Pentax Bodies. I need to go look around that section of the former a bit. My k10d has served me well. I had/have 645 N film camera before that which I still love. My loyalty is steeped in Pentax. However from all the reading I've done it seems Pentax is still lagging behind in autofocus and that's a hurdle I'm finding hard to jump over. I think I could solve my midterm zoom issue with some of the recommendations here but my focus experience with the K10 has me very hesitant to invest any further in Pentax especially with third party lenses. My loyalty to the brand works against that though. It's a pickle.

As an ex K10 user I can assure you the K 7 was a major leap forward in AF performance, and the K 5 is a further improvement. The K10 was a big hit when introduced, but in the world of DSLR´s four years and three camera generations really make a difference.