Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2007, 02:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Spotting scope with "T" mount?

Hope one of you "Old Pros" can help me out with this. If you use a spotting scope on the K10D what type of IQ do you get? What are the advantages/disadvantages of using a 500mm scope as a lens?

Thanks for any info,

Ken

10-01-2007, 03:22 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I have a Bushnell Discoverer 15-60x60 Spotting Scope that turns into a 1000 to 4000mm lens with the adapter and T-mount.

The IQ is dreadful, and the images are the epitome of purple fringe heaven. This is a cheap spotting scope however. I am sure if you spend more on a better quality spotting scope, results will be much better.

It could be that the magnification is too much when considering the cropping factor. Results are better in the lower end, and unusable by around 3000mm due to lack of light coming into the camera making it very hard to focus.

Even with the above issues, it is still worth playing around with at times. The entertainment value outweighs the quality value.

Maybe this info will be useful to you.
10-01-2007, 03:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by Chako Quote
I have a Bushnell Discoverer 15-60x60 Spotting Scope that turns into a 1000 to 4000mm lens with the adapter and T-mount.

The IQ is dreadful, and the images are the epitome of purple fringe heaven. This is a cheap spotting scope however. I am sure if you spend more on a better quality spotting scope, results will be much better.

It could be that the magnification is too much when considering the cropping factor. Results are better in the lower end, and unusable by around 3000mm due to lack of light coming into the camera making it very hard to focus.

Even with the above issues, it is still worth playing around with at times. The entertainment value outweighs the quality value.

Maybe this info will be useful to you.
The one I'm looking at is a Pentax 500mm so maybe that would be better?
10-01-2007, 05:24 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a celestron C90 1000mm Spotting scope.

I have not had a real chance to use it yet on digital, but here is an old example on ektachrome 400.

For what it cost and what it does, I am pleased. Biggest issue is vibration even on a tripod.

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 01-14-2008 at 10:11 AM.