Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2010, 10:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Carl Zeiss Jena Biometar 80mm f2.8 in Pentacon Mount

Well I received a very interesting Christmas gift last night from a long-time camera-fanatic:

A Pentax SL with a CZJ 80/2.8 attached to an M42 adapter! It's a huge lens compared to the ones I'm used to, but I am very excited to rig it up to my k20d, where I feel it will be better balanced. Right now on the Pentax SL, it looks very large!

Anyone know much about this lens? Compared to other CZJ's, does it have a good reputation? I'm wondering if it will work as a portrait lens.

Does the crop factor work the same for medium format lenses? Therefore it would give an 120mm FOV on my k20d?

I've also been having some trouble dating the lens. Is it very old, considering that it is pre-m42 mount? Or was the pentacon mount developed post-m42?

Also... a very specific question.

I currently have an M42 adapter for this Pentacon-mount lens, and this adapter has a drive-shaft for the aperture (I simply need to "cock" the aperture for each shot). If I was to buy a screw-mount adapter and mount this lens using the pentacon -> m42 -> pk set-up, would I retain this functionality?

12-27-2010, 11:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes, the crop factor works as you said, since all that matters is the lens focal length. So it should make a nice portrait lens but why not use it and tell us?

A Google search will reveal a wealth of info on any Zeiss lens.
12-27-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
So it should make a nice portrait lens but why not use it and tell us?

A Google search will reveal a wealth of info on any Zeiss lens.
Yes I've been looking around for info on the lens, there is a LOT out there. Seems like the Biometar gets "ok" reviews from CZJ fans.

However before I go and really test it out, I need some help with adapters. Quoting myself:

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
currently have an M42 adapter for this Pentacon-mount lens, and this adapter has a drive-shaft for the aperture (I simply need to "cock" the aperture for each shot). If I was to buy a screw-mount adapter and mount this lens using the pentacon -> m42 -> pk set-up, would I retain this functionality?

So should I uy a P5 --> PK adaptor, or use P5 --> m42 --> PK set up (two adapters).
12-27-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So should I uy a P5 --> PK adaptor, or use P5 --> m42 --> PK set up (two adapters).
Shouldn't matter.
You always have full manual (stop-down) metering, like M42 lenses.
Since you will probably use it fully open most of the time you can use Av.

12-27-2010, 11:41 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I currently have an M42 adapter for this Pentacon-mount lens, and this adapter has a drive-shaft for the aperture (I simply need to "cock" the aperture for each shot). If I was to buy a screw-mount adapter and mount this lens using the pentacon -> m42 -> pk set-up, would I retain this functionality?
Can you post a picture of this adapter? I didn't think there was an P6 --> m42/PK adapter that can keep the aperture actuating pin depressed on the P6 breech lock lens. I have both the pk and m42 adapters for my CZJ P6 lenses but neither have the ability to keep the pin depressed on the lens. I have been playing with the mounts and the benefit of keeping the pin depressed would be that you can flip the aperture switch on the lens to A (wide open) for focus, flip to M (stopped down) to set the exposure and shoot in Av mode, as opposed to pressing the green button to set the exposure and shooting in the M mode on the K20D.

Thanks,
12-28-2010, 02:35 AM   #6
Zav
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Can you post a picture of this adapter? I didn't think there was an P6 --> m42/PK adapter that can keep the aperture actuating pin depressed on the P6 breech lock lens. I have both the pk and m42 adapters for my CZJ P6 lenses but neither have the ability to keep the pin depressed on the lens. I have been playing with the mounts and the benefit of keeping the pin depressed would be that you can flip the aperture switch on the lens to A (wide open) for focus, flip to M (stopped down) to set the exposure and shoot in Av mode, as opposed to pressing the green button to set the exposure and shooting in the M mode on the K20D.

Thanks,
Hello excanonfd, have you created a topic the use of P6 lenses on K mount camera? This idea is quite appealinf and I would love to know more about it.
Thx
12-28-2010, 08:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Can you post a picture of this adapter? I didn't think there was an P6 --> m42/PK adapter that can keep the aperture actuating pin depressed on the P6 breech lock lens.
I don't know anything about screwmount yet, so I would really appreciate your help.

12-28-2010, 02:23 PM   #8
Pentaxian

paperbag846,

The second picture showing the lens on the right and the P6-->m42 adapter on the left, explains the misconception I had about the lens. I had always thought the zebra striped ring was part of the oem lens but to find it to be an adapter is a revelation to me. When the lens is as pictured in the first picture, does the lens stop down to the aperture you have set when the pin is depressed? When the pin is depressed, turning the aperture ring should open and close the diaphragm, correct? If so, getting an m42-->PK adapter like this; M42 Lens To Pentax PK K Mount Adapter Focus Infinity - eBay (item 280551765022 end time Jan-17-11 22:51:32 PST) should give you the same function when the lens is mounted to your K20D. You can shoot in the Av mode, open the lens to widest aperture to make focusing easier, stop down to shooting aperture and the camera will meter the exposure as you shoot. Of course the viewfinder will get darker as the aperture ring is closed down.

The adapters I have cannot actuate the aperture because there is no mechanism to keep the aperture pin depressed. I have to shoot in the M mode, open the aperture wide to focus, stop down the aperture to the desired shoot setting, press the green button on the K20D to obtain the exposure value then press the shutter. Too many times, I forget to press the green button and severely overexpose the shot. I can use the Av mode but only with the aperture wide open. I'll post some pictures of my lens and adapters later on.

Thanks,

Follow Up: I placed an order for two adapters from the above auction site, the adapters have arrived but sadly they are not the same as shown on the auction page. There is no inner flange which keeps the aperture pin depressed (useful for m42 lenses without auto/manual switch on lens barrel). I have contacted the eBay seller about this discrepancy and will update this thread as needed.

Last edited by excanonfd; 12-30-2010 at 04:57 PM. Reason: eBay item isn't as shown on auction page
12-28-2010, 02:47 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zav Quote
Hello excanonfd, have you created a topic the use of P6 lenses on K mount camera? This idea is quite appealinf and I would love to know more about it.
Thx
Hi Zay,

I don't think there's any need to create a separate thread for this. If and when you acquire a CZJ Pentacon6 lens, all you need is a P6-->PK adapter to be able to use the lens on any of your K mount cameras. The adapter can be found on eBay quite readily, Pentacon 6 Kiev 60 adapter Pentax K7 K20D K100D K200D - eBay (item 260687930437 end time Jan-03-11 18:55:03 PST) something like this. It's all manual focus, manual exposure but semi-automatic Av mode is possible if the aperture ring can be opened and closed while the lens is mounted on the DSLR, in Av mode. I'll post some pictures of my lenses and adapters later on.

Thanks,
08-16-2011, 03:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just got an M42 adapter!

The P6 --> M42 adapter works flawlessly with the M42-> PK adapter (I bought that so I could try my hand at some of the other awesome m42 lenses available).

Here's some samples of the CZJ 80mm f2.8... nothing fancy, just some test shots. I'm pretty excited about this one.

Really nice sharpness and bokeh from this lens for portraits. It has a bit of its own version of pixie dust, if you ask me .
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 

Last edited by paperbag846; 08-16-2011 at 04:31 PM.