Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2007, 05:22 AM   #1

Sigma EX 70-200

Hello, im off to buy a new lens and i consider a Sigma EX 70-200/2,8 APO HSM DG Macro. Is that a good lens?, I have not seen any photos taken with a pentax camera and that lens..

Or should i wait for the new Tamron AF 70-200/2,8 Di IF Macro or Pentax SMC-DA* 60-250/4 ED that will be released in sweden sometime this fall.

might add that i will have a extender on the lens.

thanks

10-01-2007, 06:19 AM   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I say wait for the Tamron. I just think (and this my own humble, limited - experience opinion) Tamron is a sturdier build and offers a sharper picture.
10-01-2007, 06:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Also goo dluck finding the Sigma. I believe that is the one that is not been sold for awhile. My have better change getting the Tamron
10-01-2007, 06:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

No Sigma HSM lens in Pentax mount

QuoteOriginally posted by HenrikT Quote
Hello, im off to buy a new lens and i consider a Sigma EX 70-200/2,8 APO HSM DG Macro. Is that a good lens?, I have not seen any photos taken with a pentax camera and that lens...
The reason being that this lens doesn't exist in Pentax mount

I'd wait for the DA* or try to find a used EX 70-200 f2.8 (non HSM older design) but they are pretty difficult to find.

The Tamron is surely going to be a good performer.

10-01-2007, 06:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I was verrry lucky to get my DG non-macro copy. It's out of production and all are in the hands of actual users, not shops. Fantastic lens other than the CA at f2.8-3.5.

Also, given that there's only another 2 months of autumn left, don't bank on the DA*60-250. We haven't seen any further news of the 200/2.8, 300/4 or many other lenses on the Pentax roadmap either.
10-01-2007, 07:21 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies,

what lenses do you use when you need some distance ?,

Do any of you know how much the tamron lens will cost?, they have not priced it here yet and i hope it wont be to expensive.
10-01-2007, 08:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Do you need the f2.8 speed?
10-01-2007, 09:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

the macro version still hasn't been produced/released for pentax mount (although it was supposed to be ages ago). You need to find a 2nd hand no-macro version.

10-02-2007, 06:52 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ari Quote
I say wait for the Tamron. I just think (and this my own humble, limited - experience opinion) Tamron is a sturdier build and offers a sharper picture.
I am not sure that it is safe to say that the Tamron is of sturdier build and offers a sharper picture.

The Sigma non macro is a solidly built, professional quality lens, with a proven track record of being tack sharp from wide open to whatever ap you decide you need.

While it is posted that there are CA problems at 2.8-3.5 by another user down the thread... I personally have never seen it on any of my images. Perhaps it is a copy issue, but certainly not an across the board problem.

Stephen
10-02-2007, 03:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ari Quote
I have to respectfully disagree. Don't know about EX short zooms, but the two Sigma EX "super zooms" are much, much better built than any Tamron zoom I've handled in my own hands. Specifically, the 70-200/2.8 and 100-300/4 EX lenses. My only macro lens is a Tamron 90/2.8 macro, and both EX lenses are better constructed. Just no comparison.

Now, the non-EX lenses...sure, I agree with you. But, not the EX lenses.
10-02-2007, 08:28 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
I have to respectfully disagree. Don't know about EX short zooms, but the two Sigma EX "super zooms" are much, much better built than any Tamron zoom I've handled in my own hands. Specifically, the 70-200/2.8 and 100-300/4 EX lenses. My only macro lens is a Tamron 90/2.8 macro, and both EX lenses are better constructed. Just no comparison.

Now, the non-EX lenses...sure, I agree with you. But, not the EX lenses.
Steven,

I have to agree with you about the Sigma 70-200 EX DG 2.8 and the 100-300 EX DG 4.

These lenses are superiorly constructed and will withstand the rigors of professional shooting and handling. They are both extremely sharp and can compete head to head with anything Canon and Nikon and even Pentax can put out in similar focal lengths. I know there are hard core individuals out there that think only OEM lenses are worth mounting but the reality is that if you want a chance at sharp and professional quality images there other lens manufacturers that can deliver... and at a reasonable price too. Pentax makes it easier to go with other manufacturers these days because they produce next to nothing.

Ahhh! I long for the old days when Pentax rivaled the big two in lens diversity. Those were the days. Let's hope Pentax starts talking in two days and starts delivering something to mount on their cameras at the same time!

Stephen