Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2010, 11:47 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Sigma 30mm 1.4/FA 35mm 2 Manual Focus

I'm considering a Sigma 30mm f1.4 for my next purchase. I realize the pentax version does not use HSM, so I wanted to know how well the manual focus works (smoothness, length of focus throw in degrees, etc).

Any comparisons with the FA/Samsung 35mm f2 (in particular with regards to manual focus controls)?

I take it neither of these lenses have a quick-shift type function either built-in or with using the AF button assigned to MF?

Thanks in advance!

12-27-2010, 10:42 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 30 1.4

I happen to have the Sigma 10 1.4 on my K7 right now. With the camera set to AFS or C, you cannot manually focus. The camera must be set to MF.

I can't compare the throw to the 35 F2, as I don't have that lens, but manual focus performance seems in line with other lenses I own.

I've only owned this lens for a few weeks, and I find the focal length and wide aperture useful for shooting around the house. That said, it's a weird lens optically, and I'm still getting used to it. Here's an example of this lens at its best - F2.0:

And here's an example of the same "subject" at F 1.4.

I'm not in love with this look, but then again, the lens is very new....

Last edited by harmonica2; 01-04-2011 at 11:56 PM.